PDA

View Full Version : '12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

geezer
12-05-2012, 06:54 PM
So it seems to me that maybe Kero delivered enough of a blow (or was pushed?) to warrant goalie interference and the disallowed goal, but maybe Coreau sold it and NMU should've been given an embellishment minor. Without a video replay, I can't say whether I agree with any of this or not.

I know, it's getting harder to gin up a pointless argument in the days of video replay. In my day (before motion pictures), we would hear two completely mutually exclusive stories about the same play, and nobody could ever be proven wrong. Those fights were a lot of fun. Plus we didn't wear helmets. And our skates were just shards of iron we could tie on our shoes or fight each other to death with.... good ol days.
But seriously, everyone around here is getting to reserved and mature. We need some angry frustrated 20-year-olds to sign up and renew the fun.

stuckinwi
12-05-2012, 07:34 PM
I know, it's getting harder to gin up a pointless argument in the days of video replay. In my day (before motion pictures), we would hear two completely mutually exclusive stories about the same play, and nobody could ever be proven wrong. Those fights were a lot of fun. Plus we didn't wear helmets. And our skates were just shards of iron we could tie on our shoes or fight each other to death with.... good ol days.
But seriously, everyone around here is getting to reserved and mature. We need some angry frustrated 20-year-olds to sign up and renew the fun.

You could clearly see his skate touch caraoauuauuau skate, definitely wasn't pushed as all. Whether coreuauauaua emphasized it a bit extra... Well that is debatable.

UpNorthHockey
12-06-2012, 03:40 PM
Can anyone from Northern find out what the differences are between last nights production vs. the normal production?

Is it the camera? Is it the internet connection? etc., etc.?

Is it more expensive to implement this production vs. normal?

I would pay $20 for a production as clear as last nights was.

Seems the main determinant is the bitrate that the originator of the stream uses. NMU's stream was probably 800 or 1200 kbps instead of the normal 300-500 kbps.
I guess the issue is that slower connections can't show the higher band-width very well.
However, given the lack of complaints about the NMU video, I would guess most Cable and DSL subscribers had no trouble with it.
Tech should look into streaming at the higher rate for a game or two to see if anyone complains.

Flashy Man
12-06-2012, 03:47 PM
Seems the main determinant is the bitrate that the originator of the stream uses. NMU's stream was probably 800 or 1200 kbps instead of the normal 300-500 kbps.
I guess the issue is that slower connections can't show the higher band-width very well.
However, given the lack of complaints about the NMU video, I would guess most Cable and DSL subscribers had no trouble with it.
Tech should look into streaming at the higher rate for a game or two to see if anyone complains.

I've had no problem with the feed this year, except for audio. It scales fine to my HD tv.

eye4talent
12-06-2012, 05:27 PM
I'm heading to the midget major showcase this weekend at Notre Dame. I'll report what i see on the recruit (Boeing) from Shattuck.

626575NC
12-07-2012, 12:41 PM
Good to hear that Dave Danis is still calling the regular games. I played Junior hockey with him in Houghton when I was a kid....and he was a Husky fan back then.

Goes to show that wisdom does not always come with age.

mtu_huskies
12-07-2012, 02:57 PM
Has anyone seen what goalies traveled this weekend?

I have a bad feeling about this weekend, two teams heading in different directions.

Stephen Anderson's preview article:
http://www.mininggazette.com/page/content.detail/id/527931/Huskies-want-to-take-frustration-out-on-Badgers.html?nav=5009

UpNorthHockey
12-07-2012, 03:13 PM
I've had no problem with the feed this year, except for audio. It scales fine to my HD tv.

A few things I'd like to see from the hockey broadcasts on Huskies Live:

- Increase their streaming bit-rate to match the resolution of this week's NMU broadcast
- Monitor the audio quality and correct it when it has issues
- Stream video of the between period interviews and post-game show

For $12 a game, they should at least do the above. That's a few bucks more than I've paid for any other college team's internet broadcast and ours is one of the most primitive by comparison.

geezer
12-07-2012, 06:57 PM
I have a bad feeling about this weekend, two teams heading in different directions.

It's a bit surreal hearing the list of freak injuries: emergency appendectomy in Madison (Kero), pulled groin (C Pietila), D Johnstone is out, who else did he say? We're in deep trouble and not just for this month...

Flashy Man
12-07-2012, 07:00 PM
<iframe src="http://www.coveritlive.com/index2.php/option=com_altcaster/task=viewaltcast/altcast_code=9bf5d868ef/height=550/width=470" scrolling="no" height="550px" width="470px" frameBorder="0" allowTransparency="true" ><a href="http://www.coveritlive.com/mobile.php?option=com_mobile&task=viewaltcast&altcast_code=9bf5d868ef" >12/07 Michigan Tech at Wisconsin</a></iframe>

manurespreader
12-07-2012, 09:36 PM
Just listening to Dirk, I think that was the best game Tech has played. the weaknesses were better. Defensively and goaltending were up to par and Tech hit three posts. Khaira made a big mistake and he has to find a way to not do that. he does it every game and it's getting tiresome.

I was worried about the injuries but the subs played pretty well. Holmberg line did not get a lot of time but did a descent job, though compared to last years 4th line this years is not as good.

FadeToBlack&Gold
12-07-2012, 09:56 PM
Khaira made a big mistake and he has to find a way to not do that. he does it every game and it's getting tiresome.

Not be a true freshman? ;)

mtu_huskies
12-07-2012, 10:48 PM
I guess we'll take the point.

Mel's postgame thoughts:
Great effort by the team, missing 5 key players, really good players, heck of an effort, very proud
Bad penalty, JJ knows it, it's behind their net, unfortunate goal too, not sure how it got loose/in
Good goaltending, decent special teams, didn't take advantage of chances
JJ got a few pipes, could be frustrated, has to learn to play through it
Gould realizing how hard you have to work to play at college, penalties both were kind of ticky/tack with him
Defensively good, good at NMU except for 1st peiod too, have to limit turnovers
Kevin stood tall
We'll tweak a few things tomorrow on our breakout,
need goaltending, less penalties tomorrow
Big point tonight, not sure how players will react when a guy has surgery, Kero looked good this morning, and then surger, hopefully have him for GLI
Genoe looked calm, Shields said he's more relaxed on road instead of at home, made it look easy, a couple sloppy rebounds

FadeToBlack&Gold
12-07-2012, 10:57 PM
Based on the comments thus far, it sounds like Kero got to surgery in time, in which case a GLI return shouldn't be a problem. Heck, Mel could easily be sandbagging North Dakota. If I recovered in 4 days, a well-conditioned athlete like Kero should have no troubles, outside of taking his nuclear antibiotics.

Genoe being more relaxed on the road is actually not surprising. At this point in his college career, the pressure to perform at home in front of his fellow students must be much greater.

Biddco
12-08-2012, 12:01 AM
Has there been a player who has had a rougher two weekends than JJ? I nominate him for LVP of the WCHA :D

stuckinwi
12-08-2012, 12:29 AM
Has there been a player who has had a rougher two weekends than JJ? I nominate him for LVP of the WCHA :D

He's great to watch when he has the puck, but that temper.... Needs to go his penalty was moronic tonight

FadeToBlack&Gold
12-08-2012, 01:12 AM
I'm sure Mel will address it with him, especially after ostensibly costing us the win (though expecting to win 1-0 should never been a given, and the team effort to win should always continue).

stuckinwi
12-08-2012, 09:30 AM
I'm sure Mel will address it with him, especially after ostensibly costing us the win (though expecting to win 1-0 should never been a given, and the team effort to win should always continue).

Given the sloth-like pace of the game, we'd have pulled out the 1-0 win I suspect. I'm hoping it's a bit quicker tonight.

Huskiefan906
12-08-2012, 09:58 AM
With the injury bug - we need more from
Gordic
J. Johnstone
Furne

These guys should be able to win matchups tonight and help Petan and Pietila set the tone need 2 points badly.

oldish husky
12-08-2012, 05:36 PM
He's great to watch when he has the puck, but that temper.... Needs to go his penalty was moronic tonight

It could have been a 5 minute major. In that regard, they were lucky it didn't cost us two points.