PDA

View Full Version : '12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

FadeToBlack&Gold
12-04-2012, 10:08 PM
Ouch. Both to a lack of Blake for the GLI, and tonight's loss.

HuskyNation
12-04-2012, 10:23 PM
Fair to say that Tech and Northern should be in overtime. That disallowed goal was BRUTAL!!!!!!

That said, Jamie Phillips played well; the team played hard, but not well. Game deserved a tie, which is apparently an NMU win???!?

UpNorthHockey
12-04-2012, 10:25 PM
Watched the game on NMU's live broadcast....paid a lot less $$ for twice as nice of a picture....kudos to Northern for really nice quality internet video and great camera work. Tech's streaming costs more for grainy video. That said, NMU's announcers were awful. I think they were intentionally butchering the Tech players' names. Alex PEET'n, Tanner ka-ROW, Blake pa-TEE-la, and my favorite....Jarjar Khaira. Meesa thinks theysa idiots.

manurespreader
12-04-2012, 10:25 PM
Tough loss for sure. I think we will see Brown a lot from here on. A Pietila played well and I'm surprised Licktieg was not there. Even though we lost I think the team is getting noticeably better.

FadeToBlack&Gold
12-04-2012, 10:33 PM
Mel's showing some fire on the radio. On Kero's disallowed goal:

I'm glad I'm out of the CCHA. I'm going to say it, if I get fined... I don't care. It's atrocious. Even their coach said to me after the game 'You should be happy you're not in the league' ..

aygwm2
12-04-2012, 10:55 PM
Watched the game on NMU's live broadcast....paid a lot less $$ for twice as nice of a picture....kudos to Northern for really nice quality internet video and great camera work. Tech's streaming costs more for grainy video. That said, NMU's announcers were awful. I think they were intentionally butchering the Tech players' names. Alex PEET'n, Tanner ka-ROW, Blake pa-TEE-la, and my favorite....Jarjar Khaira. Meesa thinks theysa idiots.

That was a better feed than normal. The usual fare is "grainy video." I don't know why it was clearer and widescreen, but it might have something to do with the NMU students that were producing it for a class. The announcers were students. Most game audio with the video stream is Dave Danis "Wildcat Dave" from 100.3. I was surprised at the quality of the video tonight--even though my terrible AT&T DSL couldn't keep up with it at times.

The_Commissioner
12-05-2012, 01:06 AM

That's a good sign from the coach. Passion. Anger. 'Screw the idiots,' etc. I heard John MacInnes do the same thing once about officiating and the NCAA in the same rant on the radio no less. It was so strong that he later apologized. Hopefully Pearson's attitude rubs off on his players.

huskyfan
12-05-2012, 09:07 AM
will be interesting to see if he does get fined. for speaking the truth?

UpNorthHockey
12-05-2012, 10:24 AM
That was a better feed than normal. The usual fare is "grainy video." I don't know why it was clearer and widescreen, but it might have something to do with the NMU students that were producing it for a class. The announcers were students. Most game audio with the video stream is Dave Danis "Wildcat Dave" from 100.3. I was surprised at the quality of the video tonight--even though my terrible AT&T DSL couldn't keep up with it at times.

That's good to know. I was going to complain to Tech about the difference in video quality.....but it does beg the question, if NMU students can put out video of that quality, why can't MTU and NMU do it every night? It was awesome over my DSL. Proves that grainy video is not due to limitations imposed by the streaming service, but originates at the source. Good to hear that Dave Danis is still calling the regular games. I played Junior hockey with him in Houghton when I was a kid....and he was a Husky fan back then.

lawdoggies
12-05-2012, 10:34 AM
Sat behind the Husky bench . . . the coaches did a good job of keeping their cool while the game was being played despite being 'hopping' mad. But it was clear that the calls - or the lack of calls - really changed the momentum of the game.
A bonding experience for the team - maybe something to help them jell?

manurespreader
12-05-2012, 10:52 AM
There was an article I read recently that said it was a bad idea to stream with wi fi, and that you should use a wired set up. It also said that you might be able to get away with one of the new dual band routers but still recommended a wired connection. Maybe fade can give us more info but I find that the TECH video pixelates a lot on wi fi but is a lot better with a wire hooked up. Compared to last year Tech's video is miles better.

davyd83
12-05-2012, 11:25 AM
Sat behind the Husky bench . . . the coaches did a good job of keeping their cool while the game was being played despite being 'hopping' mad. But it was clear that the calls - or the lack of calls - really changed the momentum of the game.
A bonding experience for the team - maybe something to help them jell?Minor penalties: NMU 7 Tech 7. First period 2 each. Second Period: 1 each, Third Period: 3 each, plus one each after the final buzzer. It would seem like the calls were pretty even.

noremorse1
12-05-2012, 11:38 AM
That's good to know. I was going to complain to Tech about the difference in video quality.....but it does beg the question, if NMU students can put out video of that quality, why can't MTU and NMU do it every night? It was awesome over my DSL. Proves that grainy video is not due to limitations imposed by the streaming service, but originates at the source. Good to hear that Dave Danis is still calling the regular games. I played Junior hockey with him in Houghton when I was a kid....and he was a Husky fan back then.

One game per semester is produced at this level. Each is a project of a 300 level broadcasting class. I wish they could do every game like this, but with Dave commentating.

rustedblades
12-05-2012, 11:52 AM
One game per semester is produced at this level. Each is a project of a 300 level broadcasting class. I wish they could do every game like this, but with Dave commentating.

Can anyone from Northern find out what the differences are between last nights production vs. the normal production?

Is it the camera? Is it the internet connection? etc., etc.?

Is it more expensive to implement this production vs. normal?

I would pay $20 for a production as clear as last nights was.

lawdoggies
12-05-2012, 12:13 PM
Minor penalties: NMU 7 Tech 7. First period 2 each. Second Period: 1 each, Third Period: 3 each, plus one each after the final buzzer. It would seem like the calls were pretty even.

True enough - the number of penalties were evenly called. I'm not sure numbers are all that matter, though. Example: if a team on the PK has a player slashed/tripped and there is a no call, it remains a PP and not a 4-4. Just curious...did you think it was a well called game?

geezer
12-05-2012, 12:16 PM
Minor penalties: NMU 7 Tech 7. First period 2 each. Second Period: 1 each, Third Period: 3 each, plus one each after the final buzzer. It would seem like the calls were pretty even.

I know, isn't it bizarre? For some reason they were dead set on evening up the calls despite all evidence. Not to mention the overturned Kero goal because of phantom interference. I wouldn't be surprised to see the whole crew out of work. Up here even the Squirts leagues get better reffing than the CCHA does.
And even though it's Northern, it's still technically "college" hockey (in a way), and technically NCAA members so these guys might be finding themselves back in the kids' leagues. Just not anywhere west of Marquette.

OUCH, fake hockey league! (http://www.mininggazette.com/page/content.detail/id/527895/Huskies-leave-Marquette-mad-after-loss-to-NMU.html?nav=5009)

Pearson said he didn't agree that a stick took Coreau down on the play.

"Tanner just sort of clips him, but the guy takes, in my estimation, a dive," Pearson said to USCHO. "Just incidental contact, but I have to defer to the referees."

Prior to talking with USCHO, Pearson blasted the CCHA officiating crew in his postgame interview on the radio home for the Huskies, WKMJ-FM.

"I'm glad I'm out of the CCHA," said Pearson, who was an assistant at Michigan from 1988-2011. "I'm going to say it. If I get fined, I don't care. It was atrocious. I'm going to call (CCHA director of officials) Steve Piotrowski. Even their coach (NMU's Walt Kyle) said to me after the game, 'You should be happy you're not in the league.' He was referring to the refereeing. It was, let's just say it was not good and I'll stop at that."

eye4talent
12-05-2012, 12:17 PM

i did a quick check on NMU's record vs Michigan Tech since Walt Kyle took over in 2002. 16-7-5. 3-0 vs Mel. Let's hope Mel takes some of that fire and starts turning it around against the Wildcats.

huskyfan
12-05-2012, 12:54 PM
And even though it's Northern, it's still technically "college" hockey (in a way)

for the win!

davyd83
12-05-2012, 01:04 PM
True enough - the number of penalties were evenly called. I'm not sure numbers are all that matter, though. Example: if a team on the PK has a player slashed/tripped and there is a no call, it remains a PP and not a 4-4. Just curious...did you think it was a well called game?I thought it was an evenly called game. There was a call or two that went against both sides that I disagreed with. There were some non calls both ways I disagreed with. I don't think it was the best called game I've ever seen. But I don't think either team gained an advantage from the officiating.

FadeToBlack&Gold
12-05-2012, 07:42 PM
OUCH, fake hockey league! (http://www.mininggazette.com/page/content.detail/id/527895/Huskies-leave-Marquette-mad-after-loss-to-NMU.html?nav=5009)

A diving NMU goalie? Say it ain't so! :D ;)

So it seems to me that maybe Kero delivered enough of a blow (or was pushed?) to warrant goalie interference and the disallowed goal, but maybe Coreau sold it and NMU should've been given an embellishment minor. Without a video replay, I can't say whether I agree with any of this or not.

At any rate, this is all moot. The only thing left to say is that we've known for years that CCHA refs seem to call a much tighter game (in some cases, ridiculously so) than the WCHA refs. In the nWCHA, I would hope to see a Director of Officials that encourages his crews to, within reason, let the teams decide the game's outcome.