PDA

View Full Version : '12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

Flashy Man
10-11-2012, 06:16 PM
Chat with us at www.techhockeyguide.com/live/!

giwan
10-11-2012, 06:38 PM
I thought it was weird all 3 goalies went on the trip and Stephen points that out in his article, I'm still not sure I understand why for a one game road trip.[/url]

Maybe Mel is setting a tone with the goalies, telling them it's anyone's to take? Or if one starts getting smoked he'll pull him quick? Or more likely when Tech is up by 6 goals he can give the others playing time.

FadeToBlack&Gold
10-11-2012, 08:57 PM
Enjoying a bourbon here to placate that loss. Figured it was another .500-ish season (though I do hope for a run in the second half). This team is so young overall.

The Troll mtu86
10-11-2012, 09:00 PM
Ahhh.. the more things change the more they stay the same, so here's to better results on Saturday night at home

bigblue_dl
10-11-2012, 09:22 PM
At least the Ugly ****ing Helmets lost too. Except they lost to an AHA team.

FadeToBlack&Gold
10-11-2012, 09:37 PM
This loss is all on the players, don't go blaming the refs. Tech gave themselves a shot, but they blew it in the third period.

melmac
10-11-2012, 09:38 PM
its on! please note change of venue

The first Blue Line Lunch of the 2012-2013 season will be held on Friday, October 19th from noon-1PM at the Continental Fire Co. on Montezuma Avenue in Houghton. Parking is available on the west end of the Continental Fire Co., across the street in the city parking lot, and in downtown Houghton.

The cost of the lunch is $9.00 per person and is open to all members of the community.

Head Hockey Coach Mel Pearson will be the featured speaker.

We will have a 50/50 raffle and a couple of giveaways.

Bring a friend and come out and show your support for our Division I hockey team as they take on the Minnesota Gophers!
Oh, I have a question...

What is the Continental Fire Co?

The Rube
10-11-2012, 09:57 PM
its on! please note change of venue

The first Blue Line Lunch of the 2012-2013 season will be held on Friday, October 19th from noon-1PM at the Continental Fire Co. on Montezuma Avenue in Houghton. Parking is available on the west end of the Continental Fire Co., across the street in the city parking lot, and in downtown Houghton.

The cost of the lunch is $9.00 per person and is open to all members of the community.

Head Hockey Coach Mel Pearson will be the featured speaker.

We will have a 50/50 raffle and a couple of giveaways.

Bring a friend and come out and show your support for our Division I hockey team as they take on the Minnesota Gophers!

Awesome.

stuckinwi
10-12-2012, 01:57 AM
Oh, I have a question...

What is the Continental Fire Co?

It's a club!

huskyfan
10-12-2012, 08:33 AM
learn from it. shake it off. win tomorrow night.

manurespreader
10-12-2012, 08:36 AM
Well I missed most of the game and only heard the first period, but how do we expect to compete with Minnesota if we let LSSu get 4 goals. minnesota will score 10 the way we played. Although the five minute major was not from behind if you ask me, we are going to get called like that and we have to play within ourselves despite that.

We might have talent but you need to play defense not just offense. it's not the BCHL any longer.

huskyfan
10-12-2012, 08:36 AM
Continental Fire Co. gives Houghton a new breath of night life
WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 22, 2012

ARTS AND CULTURE, ENTREPRENEURSHIP
HOUGHTON/HANCOCK
Let's be honest here--anyone who has moved to Houghton or Hancock from a larger metropolitan area didn't take long to find out that there isn't much of a night life in the area.

Jonathan Julien and the owners of the Continental Fire Company in Houghton are hoping to change that. That's exactly why they opened their new night club, built in a former fire hall that was home to the original Continental Fire Company in 1883--one of the first fire companies in the area. The building was also the birthplace of the Michigan School of Mining in 1885--now known as Michigan Technological University--which held its first classes in the upper level.

"One of the biggest reasons we chose the building we did was its historical significance," says Julien, who opened the club with Adam and Thomas Yeoman. They are currently the only three employees, though they are accepting applications for several open positions.

Those old firemen and mining school students wouldn't recognize the place these days. Julien and the Yeomans basically completely rebuilt the building, though they did try to keep as much of the original architecture as possible--including the 130-year-old flooring on the balcony level.

The trio, all hailing from Houghton, will open the doors full-time come March 1, starting with a Thursday, Friday and Saturday schedule.

"We will be slowly working into more nights, but those will be the days we will be open for the time being," Julien says.

The Continental Fire Company, located at 408 East Montezuma, will offer patrons a cocktail theme with quieter music until around 10 p.m., and then transition to a true night club.

"We are all from Houghton and really saw a need for an entertainment venue like we are doing--we all love living here and only thought this would improve the social life in Houghton," says Julien.

Biddco
10-12-2012, 09:29 AM
Continental Fire Co. gives Houghton a new breath of night life
WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 22, 2012

ARTS AND CULTURE, ENTREPRENEURSHIP
HOUGHTON/HANCOCK
Let's be honest here--anyone who has moved to Houghton or Hancock from a larger metropolitan area didn't take long to find out that there isn't much of a night life in the area.

Jonathan Julien and the owners of the Continental Fire Company in Houghton are hoping to change that. That's exactly why they opened their new night club, built in a former fire hall that was home to the original Continental Fire Company in 1883--one of the first fire companies in the area. The building was also the birthplace of the Michigan School of Mining in 1885--now known as Michigan Technological University--which held its first classes in the upper level.

"One of the biggest reasons we chose the building we did was its historical significance," says Julien, who opened the club with Adam and Thomas Yeoman. They are currently the only three employees, though they are accepting applications for several open positions.

Those old firemen and mining school students wouldn't recognize the place these days. Julien and the Yeomans basically completely rebuilt the building, though they did try to keep as much of the original architecture as possible--including the 130-year-old flooring on the balcony level.

The trio, all hailing from Houghton, will open the doors full-time come March 1, starting with a Thursday, Friday and Saturday schedule.

"We will be slowly working into more nights, but those will be the days we will be open for the time being," Julien says.

The Continental Fire Company, located at 408 East Montezuma, will offer patrons a cocktail theme with quieter music until around 10 p.m., and then transition to a true night club.

"We are all from Houghton and really saw a need for an entertainment venue like we are doing--we all love living here and only thought this would improve the social life in Houghton," says Julien.Someone had to replace the UpHill 41 :D

Seriously though that sounds like a nice place. We'll see everyone there...

bigblue_dl
10-12-2012, 10:24 AM
Someone had to replace the UpHill 41 :D

Seriously though that sounds like a nice place. We'll see everyone there...I've seen pictures of the inside, and it looks like it very nice. I was told that it could be dropped into downtown Chicago and you wouldn't be able to tell it was a "club" from Houghton. Not sure how true that is, but still, easily a huge improvement over the Upslut.

Biddco
10-12-2012, 12:11 PM
I've seen pictures of the inside, and it looks like it very nice. I was told that it could be dropped into downtown Chicago and you wouldn't be able to tell it was a "club" from Houghton. Not sure how true that is, but still, easily a huge improvement over the Upslut.Sure beats being in a concourse like the luncheon I went to last year. Makes sense they wanted to upgrade where the luncheon was located.

UpNorthHockey
10-12-2012, 02:39 PM
Seems like the boys were a little shell shocked last night. LSSU came out loaded for bear and their top line ran roughshot over us in the first 45 seconds. It's unfortunate that we lost, but I think the game was a good wake-up call. Maybe the guys were believing their press and thought this would be an easy one. At least now, they know they'll need to play a two-way game. I'll be a bit surprised if Copley's getting the start again. I didn't watch the game on the video feed so I'm not sure if any of the goals were soft. Does anyone have info on how Copley played overall? I'll be in the nosebleed seats for Saturday's game. Looks like the game will be sold out....only 16 unsold seats left in the entire building.

Shirtless Guy
10-12-2012, 04:20 PM
College Hockey Sweden Camp Paying Dividends (http://www.techhockeyguide.com/2012/10/college-hockey-sweden-camp-paying-dividends/) for Michigan Tech Already!

eye4talent
10-12-2012, 05:40 PM
College Hockey Sweden Camp Paying Dividends (http://www.techhockeyguide.com/2012/10/college-hockey-sweden-camp-paying-dividends/) for Michigan Tech Already!

nice job on the write up. i watched him play a few weeks ago vs the U17's in Ann Arbor. you could tell he's adjusting to the North American style of play. he did lay a few nice hits, got caught out of position a few times, but overall played pretty good. good passer and smart. i think he'll develop and be a good steady Dman. Des Moines is not a good team so he'll get a ton of ice time this year.

manurespreader
10-12-2012, 06:51 PM

interesting article and thanks for the work. Looking forward to seeing him.

FadeToBlack&Gold
10-12-2012, 07:05 PM
nice job on the write up. i watched him play a few weeks ago vs the U17's in Ann Arbor. you could tell he's adjusting to the North American style of play. he did lay a few nice hits, got caught out of position a few times, but overall played pretty good. good passer and smart. i think he'll develop and be a good steady Dman. Des Moines is not a good team so he'll get a ton of ice time this year.

Thanks for the eval.