Elmira College - 2012/2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elmira College - 2012/2013

Two Purple & Gold Scrimmage(s) will be held. One on Monday 10/15, the other on Tuesday 10/16 ... both at 7:30 at the MAC.

No roster has been posted yet on CHS.net (how teams can publish one before practice has begun is beyond me) but here is the link to the ECAC/W recruits complements of D3Hockey.com

Re: Elmira College - 2012/2013

Elmira looks to have Big class coming in and a few BIGG players as well....a very diverse class as far a leagues are concenred.which I like,different styles of play that will hopefully compliment each other

Comment

Amazes me how many recruits they bring in each year.

Comment

Originally posted by ballgame View Post
        Amazes me how many recruits they bring in each year.
        Me too, considering the Domes isn't the definition of ideal. I wonder how they do the recruiting showing, just the school, the rink or both because they are nowhere near each other. I wonder how many guys actually go for academics though.

Comment

Your posts aren't the definition of ideal!
          2006, 2010 ECAC West Pick'Em Champion.

Comment

Originally posted by smbenny View Post
            Your posts aren't the definition of ideal!
            Were they supposed to be?

Outdoor rink in Corning>The Domes

Comment

Originally posted by BigRedGuy View Post
              Were they supposed to be?

Outdoor rink in Corning>The Domes
              Welp, we can put that debate to rest. Finally.

Comment

Me too, considering the Domes isn't the definition of ideal. I wonder how they do the recruiting showing, just the school, the rink or both because they are nowhere near each other. I wonder how many guys actually go for academics though.
                From the sounds of most of your posts, I take it that you know very little about EC Hockey. Perhaps attending Senior Night, you might just find out what these player accomplish "academically. A Strong hockey tradition goes a long way when recruiting.
                Elmira College (2006 ECAC-W Champions. 2006,2008 Final Four Semi-Finalist)
                Guelph Storm (2004 OHL Champions)
                Die Hard Leafs Fan (Still Waiting )

http://community.webshots.com/user/jpconnor55

Comment

Originally posted by jconnor View Post
                  From the sounds of most of your posts, I take it that you know very little about EC Hockey. Perhaps attending Senior Night, you might just find out what these player accomplish "academically. A Strong hockey tradition goes a long way when recruiting.
                  I guess I wonder about this tradition theory, they have never won the national title. They aren't a powerhouse like a Middlebury.

Comment

I guess I wonder about this tradition theory, they have never won the national title. They aren't a powerhouse like a Middlebury.
                    So over the past nearly 30 years there have been a whole 12 different NCAA Champions....That's a lot of non powerhouses out there that might as well not put that pads on. I guess every team not named Montreal or Detroit must suck too in the NHL right? I mean Elmira is only tied for SECOND among ALL TIME NCAA Appearances with St.Thomas with (15), which is 5 behind Plattsburgh, and ahead of BOTH Middlebury AND Norwich. Just a few years ago we were talking of Still. No. Championships when SNC had double digit NCAA Appearances with ZERO Championships, they still seemed to get players.

Maybe you should just stick to your big bad Jackles and leave little ole D3 Hockey to us bums of the world....
                    Remy Babineaux
                    remyb616@gmail.com
                    D3FHL Web Page

Comment

No one is a powerhouse like Middlebury was...
                      Oswego'08, '10

From the shores of Lake Ontario to the island of Hilton Head...

2011-2012 SUNYAC Pick 'Em Champion!
                      2011-2012 D3FHL Overall Points Champs!

Comment

No national championships, but a strong history of conference championships. 10 ECAC-W Championships, 5 runner-ups in the conference tournament.

As PSUChamps noted, they're also one of the teams that have qualified for the most NCAA tournaments (caveat: Middlebury wasn't eligible until 1994, due to conference rules. So their number is probable artificially low). Runner-up in the 1988 NCAA DIII championship, on top of a runner-up performance in DII before the establishment of DIII hockey, losing to Mankato State.

An all-time record of 670-325-42 since the team was founded in 1973 is nothing to shake a stick at. Their 2011-2012 media guide lists 79 first-team, second-team, and all-rookie team awards given to Elmira Players by the ECAC-W conference since 1987. It lists 49 players who scored at least 100 points in their 4-year careers. 16 players named NCAA All-Americans. 13 former players coaching/administrating at the NCAA (DI and DIII), USA Hockey, and NHL levels. One of those was even an assistant for the Blackhawks when they won the cup!

We're also talking about the school where everything - from hand soap and trashcans to john deer sidewalk snowplows - is purple and gold. A school so focused on traditions that it has its school colors, a school flower, and even a school shape (the octagon).

Does Elmira Hockey have a tradition of winning national championships? On the women's side yes, but on the men's side, no. But they have tradition. A tradition of always being competitive on the national stage. That's the kind of tradition that attracts recruits. With a team with that kind of history, what hard-working, driven, college-age DIII-calibre hockey player WOULDN'T enjoy the opportunity to try to be a part of the class that finally puts Elmira Men's Hockey over the edge, lifting the national championship trophy?

Also, in response to your specific statement that they're "not a powerhouse like Middlebury"... I'm pretty sure I watched Elmira beat Middlebury at Chip Kenyon Arena last season... so... yeah.
                        Plattsburgh CARDINALS
                        SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
                        ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
                        NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
                        NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
                        NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
                        NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

please let your feeling for the Domes in the other thread. The Domes are special place and is a recruiting tool.
                          Not a powerhouse? That’s right they haven’t made the NCAA tourney lately. I think its 4 out of 5 years have been in NCAA tourney

Comment

Attention ~GENUINE~ EC Hockey Fans

Don't forget - Tonight (Monday) and Tomorrow (Tuesday) nights - Purple & Gold scrimmages at the MAC at 7:30p

I doubt that there will be a charge.

Comment

Originally posted by ballgame View Post
                              please let your feeling for the Domes in the other thread. The Domes are special place and is a recruiting tool.
                              Not a powerhouse? That’s right they haven’t made the NCAA tourney lately. I think its 4 out of 5 years have been in NCAA tourney
                              To back-up these points, I recall a conversation I had with an EC alum a few years ago at the Domes. I cannot recall who this former player was and for that I feel much shame (too many beers & years), but his name resides among the extensive list of All-Americans hanging on the banners at the Northeast “corner” of the rink.

We were sitting near the top of the bleachers behind the team benches. One aspect of our short conversation I recall vividly was his response to my question - “Why did you choose to play at Elmira College?” He stood-up, with his arms stretched-out as he slowly scanned the rink and simply replied – “Look around”. The Domes and the game-time atmosphere that is inherent to that unique venue is certainly a recruiting tool, or at least it was to that All-American.

In the 39 seasons that this program has been in-place, 33 of those seasons (that’s 85%) have resulting in a winning record. In 16 of those years (49%), Elmira has made it to the NCAA tournament. For the Women, 11 seasons without a losing record, with 8 (73%) NCAA tournament appearances and two Championships. From the 2011-2012 Media Guides, 16 All-Americans listed on the Men’s side (plus Willer and Lee added in 2012), and 6 All-Americans for the Women, including 2 national Players of the Year. While the “definition” of what makes a program a powerhouse will vary with each individual’s opinion, this sampling of history and data of the Elmira College hockey program as a whole (as well as that which Nate referenced) would clearly define it as a powerhouse in this poster’s opinion.
                              Last edited by Transplanted Tiger Fan; 10-15-2012, 04:46 PM.
                              Dave
                              RIT - '90

Comment

Working...
                              X