Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boston University 2012-13 Season Thread -- Up To The Task?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University 2012-13 Season Thread -- Up To The Task?

The problem is that ref's can call embellishment. Get rid of the embellishment call. If it's a penalty then it's a penalty and if a player has to exaggerate to draw the ref's attention then so what. Likewise, if one player touches the other with his stick and he goes flying to the ice, it's a dive. The matching penalty-embellishment call just allows the ref's to have no responsibility to actually make a call. It's like answering "both" to a True/False question. If the ref doesn't see the penalty and just sees the exaggerated reaction, let the play continue and be more aware of those two players for the rest of the game. Otherwise if a ref sees the what happened it's either a penalty or a dive. I've seen a hundred embellishment calls (all coupled with a penalty as I believe that is the rule) and maybe two diving calls. As for which teams dive more than others, I feel like it is more of a player to player thing, though perhaps some coaches condone it and others don't.

Comment

If the officials were doing their jobs and cleaning up the game from the stickwork that we hear about all the time, why would players be diving? They must feel the need to draw attention to the stickwork because officials aren't doing their jobs.

One thing the league has always been in ostrich-mode is their officiating. I think some incredibly poor performances in the national tournament (Michigan-Miami and Michigan-UMD among others) may have opened some eyes over in the HE offices but I won't hold my breath on any improvement.

It is what it is.
      Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
      The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Out at breakfast this morning and in walks Kevin Shattenkirk and Colin Wilson. With TJ Oshie. I knew Shattenkirk was coming but Wilson was a last minute thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
          Out at breakfast this morning and in walks Kevin Shattenkirk and Colin Wilson. With TJ Oshie. I knew Shattenkirk was coming but Wilson was a last minute thing.
          Cool way to start your trip in GF.

Comment

Good luck vs. God's Gift To Hockey this weekend!
            Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
            The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Maguire starts tonight.

Comment

Maguire starts tonight.
                Have to say I'm a little surprised, but it makes sense. I hope he has a better game. O'Connor is off to a blazing start, so one more shaky start form Maguire could mean some serious pine time.
                BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Maguire starts tonight.
                  Can't see how this makes sense. How do you start a struggling freshman goalie on the road against the number 5 team in the country after not playing him against Umass? I don't doubt that Maguire can be good, I just question the timing to give him a chance to try to make up for his last game. I guess it'll give us a good excuse if we lose and if he plays well and we win, having two solid goalies makes us look like a pretty dangerous team. Good luck to Maguire tonight, I hope he doesn't need it.

Comment

Less pressure to play first game than second.
                    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

I went to the UND Blue Line Club Fan Luncheon this afternoon. The football coach spoke (they play tomorrow afternoon, indoors! I think I'll go!) and both Coach Parker and Coach Hakstol spoke. It was pretty funny. I got up to take a picture of Coach Parker at the podium and he he says " And I see one red and white person here!" And everyone turned to look. Heh. He was very funny and talked about the when they were planning for building Agganis and how he visited the Ralph and said how BU would build the second best arena in college hockey. He reminisced about the interlocking schedule when Hockey East was formed but how that stopped and how difficult it is to schedule OOC games, but next year we will have many OOC games and North Dakota will come to Agganis.

After he sat, the head of the Blue Line Club got up to introduce Coach Hakstol and said "You mentioned Mariucci. The only thing wrong with that place is the team the plays there." Bwah ha hah, then Coach Hakstol got up to reiterate that point, finds me in the crowd and said if I was wearing maroon and gold how I would be acting and I yelled back "I never wear maroon and gold!!!"

He then talked about the NCAA game in Worcester in 2004 and how after they won, Coach Parker walked over to their locker room and asked Hakstol if he could address the team and said that really meant a lot to him and the team that Parker did that. He also brought up the 1990 NCAA playoff series that we were all just talking about. It was a nice event. Glad I wore my red and white.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                        Less pressure to play first game than second.
                        I feel like it would be the opposite. If the other guy wins the first game, you already got the split no matter what so a loss doesn't hurt too much. If he loses, you can't do worse.

Comment

I went to the UND Blue Line Club Fan Luncheon this afternoon. The football coach spoke (they play tomorrow afternoon, indoors! I think I'll go!) and both Coach Parker and Coach Hakstol spoke. It was pretty funny. I got up to take a picture of Coach Parker at the podium and he he says " And I see one red and white person here!" And everyone turned to look. Heh. He was very funny and talked about the when they were planning for building Agganis and how he visited the Ralph and said how BU would build the second best arena in college hockey. He reminisced about the interlocking schedule when Hockey East was formed but how that stopped and how difficult it is to schedule OOC games, but next year we will have many OOC games and North Dakota will come to Agganis.

After he sat, the head of the Blue Line Club got up to introduce Coach Hakstol and said "You mentioned Mariucci. The only thing wrong with that place is the team the plays there." Bwah ha hah, then Coach Hakstol got up to reiterate that point, finds me in the crowd and said if I was wearing maroon and gold how I would be acting and I yelled back "I never wear maroon and gold!!!"

He then talked about the NCAA game in Worcester in 2004 and how after they won, Coach Parker walked over to their locker room and asked Hakstol if he could address the team and said that really meant a lot to him and the team that Parker did that. He also brought up the 1990 NCAA playoff series that we were all just talking about. It was a nice event. Glad I wore my red and white.
                          UND women play Clarkson tomorrow afternoon if you want some more hockey... have fun at the game tonight, should be a great atmosphere!

Comment

• Originally posted by Brian Gentry View Post
                            Watch out garret!!
                            “Unless you’re Boston College, you don’t get here every year.”

Pinhead Nation: "gone" but not forgotten

Originally posted by shrader
                            Admin, do you still hate BC? If not, will darin and MAV ever be freed? If you do still hate BC, why is SteveF allowed to post?
                            Hockey East Champions: 1987, 1990, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012
                            National Champions: 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012

Comment

Originally posted by SteveF View Post
                              Watch out garret!!
                              And............. whammy!!!!!!!!
                              Originally posted by reBlur
                              the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

Jack's intermission interview pretty insightful. Next year non-conference games include 2 vs nodak, Wisconsin, Mich and Mich st, and Cornell. Cool!
                                Spaulding get your foot off the boat!

Comment

Working...
                                X