PC Hockey - On the road back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hockey articles in projo

I'd like to think it's because everyone else in HE does "Rock and Roll Part Two" but it's probably the students chanting "you suck".

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
    -Blackadder
    "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
    -Casablanca
    "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
    -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Our "pep" band is almost always a no-show. It would be better if they didn't bother with the pep band and bring in local high schools to serve as the pep band like they used to when the band was off sucking up to the hoop team.

The high school kids were worlds better anyway and actually seemed as though they wanted to be there. Our pep band is unnecessary. Let them stay down at the Dunk.

Comment

Originally posted by PC91 View Post
        Our "pep" band is almost always a no-show. It would be better if they didn't bother with the pep band and bring in local high schools to serve as the pep band like they used to when the band was off sucking up to the hoop team.

The high school kids were worlds better anyway and actually seemed as though they wanted to be there. Our pep band is unnecessary. Let them stay down at the Dunk.
        The Pep Band was there for Friday's game. Where were they Saturday ? They sounded pretty good on radio.

Comment

Exactly my point. They played on Friday and then a no-show on Saturday. They weren't playing for the hoop game because the basketball team played an exhibition game at Alumni at 2pm earlier on Saturday.
          They're students so I don't want to slag them but calling them a pep band is an oxymoron. Most times over the past several years they come off as being anything but peppy. Like they are being forced to be there.

Comment

Exactly my point. They played on Friday and then a no-show on Saturday. They weren't playing for the hoop game because the basketball team played an exhibition game at Alumni at 2pm earlier on Saturday.
            They're students so I don't want to slag them but calling them a pep band is an oxymoron. Most times over the past several years they come off as being anything but peppy. Like they are being forced to be there.
            I don't think I could have said it better myself. I feel bad about saying this, as I have a few friends in pep band, and I know they mean well...

they are freaking terrible.

a) when there's music or an announcer over the PA system, that means it's their turn to be loud and your turn to be quiet.
            b) Lady Gaga is not appropriate hockey game music.
            c) Hockey games and basketball games do not require the same musical traditions. Hockey, for instance, has a rather well-crafted entrance mix. They don't need to have the drawn out version of When the Saints Go Marching In. (WHY is that our fight song, btw? We're the Friars, not the saints.)
            d) When the game is playing, keep your hands/mouth off of your instrument. For the love of God, please. The absolute worst example I can think of this was during the Merrimack game last year when the guy on the keyboard decided to start playing "We Found Love" by Rihanna during overtime. Just like...by his or herself. (I can't remember if it was a boy or a girl.) Like um...this is overtime against the #1 team in the country. PAY ATTENTION TO THE GAME. The bass players do the same thing now during the game and it's absolutely infuriating.
            e) I get excited when I see that the pep band isn't there. And that's terrible. The pep bands at other schools (Maine and BU immediately come to mind) are actually competent, decent bands. Ours just thinks that they're at an extremely cold basketball game and makes zero effort to actually adapt their music to what's actually happening at the game.
            Places I've Seen a College Hockey Game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Compton Family Ice Arena, Conte Forum, Cross Insurance Arena (Cumberland County Civic Center), Dunkin' Donuts Center, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Fenway Park, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Pegula Ice Arena, Ralph Engelstad Arena, Schneider Arena, T.D. Garden, Tsongas Center, Thompson Arena, University of Southern Maine, Webster Bank Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

I thought I heard them play the Law and Order theme after a Maine penalty, that was sort of cute. I don't know enough about them to comment beyond that. I sort of agree about the Lady Gaga music.

Comment

What side of Corn Neck road are you on?

Comment

in between the two parts that were underwater. Right across from the town beach. I'm shocked that our driveway was not washed away. We were fortunate but there is a slew of damage to contend with out here.

Comment

I'm glad you are okay. The photo's of the road were amazing.

Comment

• Re: Hockey articles in projo

Originally posted by PcFriars13 View Post
                      I don't think I could have said it better myself. I feel bad about saying this, as I have a few friends in pep band, and I know they mean well...

they are freaking terrible.

a) when there's music or an announcer over the PA system, that means it's their turn to be loud and your turn to be quiet.
                      b) Lady Gaga is not appropriate hockey game music.
                      c) Hockey games and basketball games do not require the same musical traditions. Hockey, for instance, has a rather well-crafted entrance mix. They don't need to have the drawn out version of When the Saints Go Marching In. (WHY is that our fight song, btw? We're the Friars, not the saints.)
                      d) When the game is playing, keep your hands/mouth off of your instrument. For the love of God, please. The absolute worst example I can think of this was during the Merrimack game last year when the guy on the keyboard decided to start playing "We Found Love" by Rihanna during overtime. Just like...by his or herself. (I can't remember if it was a boy or a girl.) Like um...this is overtime against the #1 team in the country. PAY ATTENTION TO THE GAME. The bass players do the same thing now during the game and it's absolutely infuriating.
                      e) I get excited when I see that the pep band isn't there. And that's terrible. The pep bands at other schools (Maine and BU immediately come to mind) are actually competent, decent bands. Ours just thinks that they're at an extremely cold basketball game and makes zero effort to actually adapt their music to what's actually happening at the game.
                      Please stop having my wife write your posts. I have to agree with you on points a, b, c, d. As far as e goes, it's tough to compete against Maine and BU in that department. We have a fight song, but it's been AWOL since 1997. Ugh.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                      -Blackadder
                      "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
                      -Casablanca
                      "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                      -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

• Re: Hockey articles in projo

If you want to see a great college hockey band, youtube Cornell hockey. PC should have a dedicated hockey band that should be there at EVERY home game, as well as travel to at least some of the away games. I've been a fan and going to the games for over 30 years, and compared to most of the other schools, the game atmosphere is lacking. It is hard to believe that with an on campus facility, and the free (or nearly free) tickets that the students get, that the student section is empty. There were virtually no students at the Saturday Maine game. No band , no students for a home game.

Comment

• Re: PC Hockey - On the road back

I always find these discussions fascinating when I think of the student sections of the 80's. In those days the student section was 3-4 arena sections wide and students had to buy tickets for the games. I knew many students who bought season tickets to ensure their entry into all the games when most were (real) sell outs. Of course student tickets were discounted but they required effort and were in demand. Of course it helped thy the team was regularly ranked in the top 10 if not top 5.

Comment

What really aggravates me is the fact that almost every college hockey game is over by 9:15, if it's on TV or starts at 7:30, it will be over by 10:00. Pre-game before the game, bring in a nip or two if you have to, get to the game and be out at parties or the bars by 10:15. I haven't gone out before 10:00 on weekends since high school. It's a great take and you can still have plenty of time to do the college stuff after.
                            https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
                            Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

• Originally posted by dillon View Post
                              If you want to see a great college hockey band, youtube Cornell hockey. PC should have a dedicated hockey band that should be there at EVERY home game, as well as travel to at least some of the away games. I've been a fan and going to the games for over 30 years, and compared to most of the other schools, the game atmosphere is lacking. It is hard to believe that with an on campus facility, and the free (or nearly free) tickets that the students get, that the student section is empty. There were virtually no students at the Saturday Maine game. No band , no students for a home game.
                              The athletics dept does a TERRIBLE job promoting games. I was sitting in the cafeteria on Saturday morning an overheard two girls talking...one asked if hockey had a game that night and her friend responded with "no, that was last night." The main focus is on basketball, but they've sold less than 600 student season tickets, and they're even offering a money-back guarantee if students actually go.
                              Places I've Seen a College Hockey Game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Compton Family Ice Arena, Conte Forum, Cross Insurance Arena (Cumberland County Civic Center), Dunkin' Donuts Center, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Fenway Park, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Pegula Ice Arena, Ralph Engelstad Arena, Schneider Arena, T.D. Garden, Tsongas Center, Thompson Arena, University of Southern Maine, Webster Bank Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

DO THEY STILL HAVE THAT LOUD SOUND SYSTEM WHERE YOU CAN'T HEAR THE PERSON NEXT TO YOU TALK AND THEY PLAY IT OVER THE BAND WHEN THEY WOULD GO. Oh sorry for the caps I thought I was at th rink

Comment

Working...
                                X