PC Hockey - On the road back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: PC Hockey - On the road back

Hey if you told me PC would have a win and a tie at UNH back in September, I'd take it then. I will take it now. They will learn how to close these games out. Go Friars.

Comment

Power play looked real good tonight - 2 goals and a ton of good chances. Seems to work better when the underclassmen are on the ice.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisP View Post
        Power play looked real good tonight - 2 goals and a ton of good chances. Seems to work better when the underclassmen are on the ice.
        The whole team is better when Harvey is on the BENCH!
        Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

• Originally posted by The Freds View Post
          Hey if you told me PC would have a win and a tie at UNH back in September, I'd take it then. I will take it now. They will learn how to close these games out. Go Friars.
          Fred's, I said the same thing earlier today. I will take 3 out of 4 points at any rink especially UHN.

It's been a long long time since I posted, hope I did this right

Comment

A point is a point is a point. It's better than no points. I'll take it.
            Places I've Seen a College Hockey Game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Compton Family Ice Arena, Conte Forum, Cross Insurance Arena (Cumberland County Civic Center), Dunkin' Donuts Center, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Fenway Park, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Pegula Ice Arena, Ralph Engelstad Arena, Schneider Arena, T.D. Garden, Tsongas Center, Thompson Arena, University of Southern Maine, Webster Bank Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

I discovered the game on tv with 6 minutes to go in the 3rd. Gillies absolutely robbed a UNH player. However PC starts standing around waving sticks in front of people, thus allowing UNH to take control and tie it. After the goal, PC comes out attacking. Stop going into Pooley mode! The prevent defense prevents you from winning.
              Providence College
              National Champions

Save the Fighting Sioux!!

Comment

PC dominated the third period for the first 15 mins. then UNH began to step it up and I knew we were in trouble. That save Gillies made was incredible. The glove came out of nowhere to snatch the puck just before it broke the plane of the goal line. The UNH kid couldn't believe how the shot didn't make it in. He was just stunned. I was there and had a clear view of the save and I still can't believe how he did it. We are very lucky to have this kid in goal. The team played well after a so-so first period, and we had some great chances in OT.

Comment

Sorry but I can't go with the old mentality of a point is a point. PC has been in at least two opportunities against league opponents where they were leading in barns, where they have traditionally struggled (Alfond and the Whit), and lost out on wins because they couldn't finish. Remember that the Friars were leading huge in the first game at UNH this season and almost ****ed that game away despite being up three goals.
                  I doubt any PC player left that game happy to get the point. I expect more from this team based on the coach's expectations for this team alone. I'm proud of this team over the past two seasons on almost every account but they are their own worst enemies when it comes to being able to take control and hold on at the end of the third period.

Comment

I think PC will be a tough team in the HE playoffs, whether at home or on the road. I expect to see you at the Garden (and something tells me it will be at UNH's expense.

Gillies is a darned good goalie, and fills the net. He's right there for every shot (and that save he made on Goumas was unbelievable.) UNH had very few second chances -- I attribute that to a very robust defense last night (although other UNH fans thought we didn't play as well as we should have.)

If I were a PC fan, I wouldn't pout -- I'd be happy with a tie. You've taken 3 out of 4 points so far from us, and all at the Whitt. Not bad at all. I only hope we can pick up a couple at your place.

And as I said, I'll see you in Boston, I'm sure, so good luck, from Thursday on. ;-)
                    Last edited by goblue; 02-11-2013, 08:29 AM.
                    We are usually convinced more easily by reasons we have found ourselves than by those which have occurred to others.
                    ---Blaise Pascal

When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.
                    --Richard Dawkins

UNH Wildcats: Winners, 20XX NCAA Men's Hockey National Championship

Comment

Originally posted by BUObserver View Post
                      Fred's, I said the same thing earlier today. I will take 3 out of 4 points at any rink especially UHN.

It's been a long long time since I posted, hope I did this right
                      I haven't posted either BUO (hope you are well), but I've been watching the televised games all season. For the first time in who knows how long, for me I'm genuinely excited about the direction of this program. Taking 3 points at UNH when you are 2-28 in every game at the Whit going back to the '90s is phenomenal. I realize PC91 is justifiably irritated that they can't finish at times, but when you've got a team stacked with underclassmen and so many freshmen, that's the kind of thing that will get there in time. They string together minutes of terrific play and then make some mistakes at times, at key spots -- I see what 91 is saying -- but again, big picture, they are right there in contention in a conference nobody is running away with. The experience the freshman are getting is only going to be a positive as they develop over the years to come.

Gilles -- also hugely impressed, though like the team, there are times he leaves rebounds out there and has had a few games where he's a bit out of position. But then you see the save the guy made yesterday with the glove -- spectacular. Again, he should improve over time as well. The future is bright!
                      Last edited by HockeyMan2000; 02-11-2013, 08:55 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyMan2000 View Post
                        I haven't posted either BUO (hope you are well), but I've been watching the televised games all season. For the first time in who knows how long, for me I'm genuinely excited about the direction of this program. Taking 3 points at UNH when you are 2-28 in every game at the Whit going back to the '90s is phenomenal. I realize PC91 is justifiably irritated that they can't finish at times, but when you've got a team stacked with underclassmen and so many freshmen, that's the kind of thing that will get there in time. They string together minutes of terrific play and then make some mistakes at times, at key spots -- I see what 91 is saying -- but again, big picture, they are right there in contention in a conference nobody is running away with. The experience the freshman are getting is only going to be a positive as they develop over the years to come.

Gilles -- also hugely impressed, though like the team, there are times he leaves rebounds out there and has had a few games where he's a bit out of position. But then you see the save the guy made yesterday with the glove -- spectacular. Again, he should improve over time as well. The future is bright!
                        My take is there needs to be some concern about this. Just the last 3 games (add Agganis and B U to '91's list) this late in the year leaves you wondering when will they learn to win. I understand they are inexperienced but these inexperienced guys now have basically a year under their belt in key situations, they have to know the consequences of standing around by now and certainly it has been drilled into their heads......it can't go on or it will be a bad habit they believe will happen.

If this game was a solitary example absolutely I'm glad to take a point up there......but it is a pattern

We are close to being very good, a top flight Dman (Florentino) and a bit more offense and we won't lose often. We have 6 ties, 5 1 goal losses, and a 2 goal loss where the 2nd goal was an empty netter
                        Let's Go Pirates!

Comment

Watch the tape of the game.....we are attacking all the way to the 4 min mark. After that we stop at the red line every time down the ice......it has become a habit and the coaching staff has to stop it or it will continue

Comment

Originally posted by satyking View Post
                            Watch the tape of the game.....we are attacking all the way to the 4 min mark. After that we stop at the red line every time down the ice......it has become a habit and the coaching staff has to stop it or it will continue
                            The UNH tying goal at the start of the 3rd was bad too -- players kind of moping about, lazy clearing pass right in front of the net and bam the game is tied. I realize it was a PP but they didn't look totally ready right out of the gate. Then they go through a flurry of several minutes where they look like the better team (and decidedly so), only to make some mistakes in stretches and especially near the end. Very obvious sign of a young team. If they're still doing this a year from now I'd be more concerned but you guys are absolutely right that it's a pattern. It's just one I usually associate with a team figuring out how to finish and they are not entirely there yet. For them to get to the next level they'll have to do it, obviously, but at least they are knocking on the door in Leaman's second year. Whether it's going to come together for a real legit run in this post-season will be determined on whether they can make that step.
                            Last edited by HockeyMan2000; 02-11-2013, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Netman View Post
                              Stop going into Pooley mode! The prevent defense prevents you from winning.
                              Originally posted by mvfriar View Post
                              The team played well after a so-so first period, and we had some great chances in OT.
                              Originally posted by PC91 View Post
                              I doubt any PC player left that game happy to get the point. I expect more from this team based on the coach's expectations for this team alone. I'm proud of this team over the past two seasons on almost every account but they are their own worst enemies when it comes to being able to take control and hold on at the end of the third period.
                              Originally posted by goblue View Post
                              I think PC will be a tough team in the HE playoffs, whether at home or on the road. I expect to see you at the Garden (and something tells me it will be at UNH's expense.

Gillies is a darned good goalie, and fills the net. He's right there for every shot (and that save he made on Goumas was unbelievable.) UNH had very few second chances -- I attribute that to a very robust defense last night (although other UNH fans thought we didn't play as well as we should have.)

If I were a PC fan, I wouldn't pout -- I'd be happy with a tie. You've taken 3 out of 4 points so far from us, and all at the Whitt. Not bad at all. I only hope we can pick up a couple at your place.

And as I said, I'll see you in Boston, I'm sure, so good luck, from Thursday on. ;-)
                              agreed on all points. While I would love to see PC win the season series against the SMT's for the first time in 17 years (! I now feel very very old), 3 points at the Whit is beyond all hopes. Hope they can close the deal on Wednesday...

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                              -Blackadder
                              "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
                              -Casablanca
                              "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                              -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Originally posted by PC91 View Post
                                ...PC has been in at least two opportunities against league opponents where they were leading in barns, where they have traditionally struggled (Alfond and the Whit), and lost out on wins because they couldn't finish. Remember that the Friars were leading huge in the first game at UNH this season and almost ****ed that game away despite being up three goals.
                                Providence came out after the 2nd period and played extremely well...very aggressive, passes were connecting, controlling the puck in the UNH end, but then around the 5-minute mark, UNH picked it up a notch. For the rest of the period, we did not respond very well to this, and I think this is a trademark of this team right now. They go into some kind of bunker mentality and try to hold on for the win rather than keep the pressure on. Suddenly UNH is beating them to the puck in the end zone and the corners, we panic a little and make the little mistake that kills us. This is Leaman's challenge for this team: building the confidence to sustain the pressure, even as the other team takes it up a notch, knowing that they can win this way. We outplayed UNH for most of the third quarter, but when it really counted, we let them take the game away. Old habits die hard, but this is one they must break out of.

Comment

Working...
                                X