PC Hockey - On the road back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: PC Hockey - On the road back

I wasn't at the game (I was on a bus from DC on the March for Life trip with Campus Ministry) but I know a lot of students are frustrated with the way athletics is handling ticket sales to students. I have never missed a game that I've been on campus for, and if I get shut out because of someone who leaves after a period and a half I'm going to be extremely aggravated. By making the tickets scarce, they've certainly upped the demand for them, but there's no real cohesion of the student section, and frankly, the seats are terrible. You can't see a large chunk of the ice. I've been to games at 9/10 Hockey East schools and I've never seen such bad management of game day environment. There's zero incentive for students to actually attend the game. We're constantly being yelled at for standing/yelling/etc and it's just not fun, plus sitting in front of the pep band while they play at the same time as the PA system is incredibly uncomfortable.

I mean, remember at the first game of the season when athletics waited until the end of the game to give out teeshirts? Yeah, students were initially instructed that their teeshirts from the game would guarantee them admission into Late Night Madness, but that didn't happen. All the students got their shirts and sprinted to alumni hall right after--in the middle of the third period. (I'm a senior and I just barely got in to LNM because I actually stayed to watch the end of the game.) I went to the BU game the next night--where they also gave out shirts--and it was a much better, controlled, happier environment. Something just isn't clicking at PC. It's really frustrating to watch Athletics make the same mistakes over and over again.
    Places I've Seen a College Hockey Game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Compton Family Ice Arena, Conte Forum, Cross Insurance Arena (Cumberland County Civic Center), Dunkin' Donuts Center, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Fenway Park, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Pegula Ice Arena, Ralph Engelstad Arena, Schneider Arena, T.D. Garden, Tsongas Center, Thompson Arena, University of Southern Maine, Webster Bank Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

• Originally posted by PcFriars13 View Post
      I wasn't at the game (I was on a bus from DC on the March for Life trip with Campus Ministry) but I know a lot of students are frustrated with the way athletics is handling ticket sales to students. I have never missed a game that I've been on campus for, and if I get shut out because of someone who leaves after a period and a half I'm going to be extremely aggravated. By making the tickets scarce, they've certainly upped the demand for them, but there's no real cohesion of the student section, and frankly, the seats are terrible. You can't see a large chunk of the ice. I've been to games at 9/10 Hockey East schools and I've never seen such bad management of game day environment. There's zero incentive for students to actually attend the game. We're constantly being yelled at for standing/yelling/etc and it's just not fun, plus sitting in front of the pep band while they play at the same time as the PA system is incredibly uncomfortable.

I mean, remember at the first game of the season when athletics waited until the end of the game to give out teeshirts? Yeah, students were initially instructed that their teeshirts from the game would guarantee them admission into Late Night Madness, but that didn't happen. All the students got their shirts and sprinted to alumni hall right after--in the middle of the third period. (I'm a senior and I just barely got in to LNM because I actually stayed to watch the end of the game.) I went to the BU game the next night--where they also gave out shirts--and it was a much better, controlled, happier environment. Something just isn't clicking at PC. It's really frustrating to watch Athletics make the same mistakes over and over again.
      Some things never change...

Comment

Originally posted by PcFriars13 View Post

In general I understand your complaints, let's face it after 40 years I perfectly aware that the powers to be at PC could screw up a 1 car funeral. I defintely believe that not having enough tickets for students is wrong. You know how many season tickets you have sold, you know what your allottment to the visiting team is (which hopefully has been cut by 1/3). You then have the students pick up their tickets ahead of time (granted this game might be tough to do so since you just got back from break), X number of days before the game what has not been picked up by students then goes on sale to general public. As far as your last paragraph goes look we all know they must have used 3 Stooges shorts as training videos--that has been true since day 1 (a lot less long ago since Lou had some control over what the athletic department did to varying degrees). But he's been gone over 25 years so that is now ingrained.

On the other hand your gripe about the seats and to an extent the Pep band is just a poor excuse. Those have been the students seats since I was a freshman the day they opened Schneider. It didn't keep students away or have them leave early for 35 years. Just what seats would be better....estentially you have the same issue in each part of the arena with much of the press box side being really bad. The Pep band by and large has always sat in that area except when they used a smaller version of it (so it was at every game) in the early 80's and they were in the pit just above the Zamboni. Granted the PA does cause issues since over the years they use it to get announcments made now that they clearly have sold which they did not do in the long ago past and you can't make them during a game I guess in this day and age of modern communication there could be some device between the pressbox and the band director so he knows when they are going to be overlapped by the PA
        Let's Go Pirates!

Comment

• Originally posted by cavbim View Post
          They certainly must not have endeared themselves to the powers to be either by once again yelling F BU which they got scolded for after the first game last year
          So BU fans should understand, they chant F BC at every game at Agannis.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
            He is definitely a work in progress, it would appear. I know he played really well in high school but he hasn't shown enough yet, IMHO, that I thought anybody would be offering him. A bit of a shocker.

He's been so nondescript that his even being offered was kind of a head scratcher for me and the guy I sat next to at the game tonight since we chatted about it when it was announced at the game.
            Now in 4 games since he committed he has 2 goals and 4 assists. So is he getting more ice time, better linemates, or maybe as a 16 year old he is beginning to adjust?
            Let's Go Pirates!

Comment

• Originally posted by The Freds View Post
              So BU fans should understand, they chant F BC at every game at Agannis.
              Yes, but it's only okay when they do it for some reason.

Cav's line about the one car funeral was fantastic.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
              -Blackadder
              "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
              -Casablanca
              "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
              -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

FYI...before they cut back tickets to the arena, I saw PC students turned away from the BC game....

Anyways, terrible officiating to put BU on the two man advantage...Absolute joke they call those two!
                Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

• Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
                  FYI...before they cut back tickets to the arena, I saw PC students turned away from the BC game....

Anyways, terrible officiating to put BU on the two man advantage...Absolute joke they call those two!
                  Yeah. It's comical how scared they are of Jackie.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                  -Blackadder
                  -Casablanca
                  "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                  -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Rumor has it that PCObserver was spotted at the games this weekend.. Nice to see old friends back in action.

Comment

That's two goals the refs gave to to BU tonight.

-Blackadder
                      -Casablanca
                      -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon View Post
                        Just Jackie doing his thing with refs.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Freds View Post
                          Just Jackie doing his thing with refs.
                          2 PP's in a row for us.

-Blackadder
                          -Casablanca
                          -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
                            You are right. Send your emails to Hockey East and let them know how much of a joke this league is.

info@hockeyeastonline.com

Comment

Originally posted by steven22 View Post
                              You are right. Send your emails to Hockey East and let them know how much of a joke this league is.

info@hockeyeastonline.com
                              That second terrible goal is the biggest joke...he called goaltender interference...and it was bang bang with the whistle for the puck to go in...The rule states it is when the ref decides to blow the whistle in his head I thought!
                              Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

• Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
                                That second terrible goal is the biggest joke...he called goaltender interference...and it was bang bang with the whistle for the puck to go in...The rule states it is when the ref decides to blow the whistle in his head I thought!
                                I'd have less of a problem if they'd reviewed the PC goal that was also called off. Fair is fair.

-Blackadder
                                -Casablanca
                                -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Working...
                                X