Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: PC Hockey - On the road back

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
    "It has definitely been an off-year for the Lancers, who are the Minnesota/BC/North Dakota/Michigan/BU, etc. of the USHL"

Come on, Red Cows. They WERE the Minnesota of the USHL when Hastings was there. Now they're the LSSU of the USHL - We won titles a long time ago!
    If you take a peek in the Mankato thread, I have pontificated about this a lot to the point that I have been accused of having a Mike Hastings man crush.

When Coach Blais leaves UNO I firmly believe Hastings is the next head coach at UNO. Hastings was basically the Vince Lombardi of the USHL here in Omaha. Yeah, the Lancers have not won a title since '07-'08 but winning 13 in the 25 seasons leading up to that is something every team in the league only wishes they might do. All while selling out a 6,314 seat arena 241 nights in a row, too. They haven't exactly stunk since then, either.

Comment

[QUOTE=riverchief1;5601744]
      Originally posted by Jon View Post
      According to UML fans, it goes back to 1985.QUOTE]

Yes, that is correct at the very first HE Championship at Providence Civic Center where Terreri was "Extra-Terrerial" and PC won in 20T. Here's the brief synopsis from one who was in the middle of it...

Lowell upset UNH in quarterfinals to earn a spot vs. BC in the semi-finals. Lowell proceeds to get screwed by refs in BC game when they score what appears to be a goal to put Lowell up by 2 and seemingly on their way to HE championship game. However, refs call mystery penalty, goal taken away, BC ties Lowell, and then goes ahead to win 6-5. So naturally we're a little bit ticked sitting there (NOTE: this is also the origin of the Hockey East is Fixed cheer which we originated at that game). So with the final the next night being PC and BC, we decide we hate BC so much that we're going to have some fun during the championship game.

After losing to BU in consolation game the next night, we proceed to take our Lowell signs which we had hung for our game and flip them around to reveal new signs we had made earlier in the day, things like "Lowell Loves Friars" and "Beat BC" (I think we may have even had a giant Ken Hodge, Jr. report card since he was known for not getting the best grades at BC). Decked out in full Lowell garb, we proceed to march around the concourse with the signs chanting PC cheers and go right to the Providence student section and pretty much take it over. The PC fans particularly liked our "How's your grades Hodge, how's your grades...clap, clap" cheer.

So for the entire championship game, Lowell fans basically led the cheers for the entire Providence student section. In between periods, Providence fans are coming up to us, thanking us and so forth, noting that they didn't think anyone else hated BC as much as they did, etc. So we end up finding ourselves in the middle of this classic game that goes to 2OTs and when Providence wins, we're removing a section of glass and helping the Providence students through it and on to the ice. Had multiple offers inviting us all back to campus to celebrate but we were beat and just hit the road back to MA after the long night.

So that's the origins of "The Alliance" in a nutshell. If NESN ever shows this game again as they sometimes do, you can see a bunch of us in ULowell Chief garb in the midst of the Providence fans.
      That is seriously one of the coolest things I've ever heard. Come back please and help our student section out again? It's been decimated in recent years.
      Places I've Seen a College Hockey Game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Compton Family Ice Arena, Conte Forum, Cross Insurance Arena (Cumberland County Civic Center), Dunkin' Donuts Center, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Fenway Park, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Pegula Ice Arena, Ralph Engelstad Arena, Schneider Arena, T.D. Garden, Tsongas Center, Thompson Arena, University of Southern Maine, Webster Bank Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

• Originally posted by czeckthebody View Post
        I've seen PC play a few times this year, and I watched them tonight on TV.

They play very hard but they are a mediocre team with an unbelievable goalie.

They should have lost by 3 or 4 last week against UMASS and they should have lost by 3 or 4 tonight.

If ths goalie stays all four years (seems unlikely) and they add just three or four top-level skaters they could contend for the league title--Gillies is that good.
        I agree with that totally..gillies might be the best goalie since Terreri in Hockey East
        Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

• Originally posted by PcFriars13 View Post
          That is seriously one of the coolest things I've ever heard. Come back please and help our student section out again? It's been decimated in recent years.
          I dont think I could ever see something like that happening ever again.

Chief, repost on the Lowell thread please... I have no clue what was in the water back then but a lot of these stories are just nuts
          BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
          Skating Friar Jersey
          AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
          UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
          Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by czeckthebody View Post
            If ths goalie stays all four years (seems unlikely) and they add just three or four top-level skaters they could contend for the league title--Gillies is that good.
            I have to agree. I was "talking" with Jon on FB during the game last night. Gillies was outstanding (not that Lowell's goalie didn't do a pretty good job as well).
            Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
            2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
            2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
            2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
            2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

FYI, with Gilles now at Providi, that's 2 youngsters from former UNH greats...Bruce Gilles was at UNH from 82-85....Ralph Cox's son chose PC as well back 10 years ago(?). No one should ever skate in their Dad's shadow..good luck with JG...

Comment

FYI - Saw that ex-Friar Colin McDonald made the New York Islander roster. Congrats Colin!

Comment

Gillies has replaced the immortal Tyler Sims as Mrs. Jon's favorite player. I'm sure that's worth some acclaim.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                  -Blackadder
                  "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
                  -Casablanca
                  "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                  -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon View Post
                    Gillies has replaced the immortal Tyler Sims as Mrs. Jon's favorite player. I'm sure that's worth some acclaim.
                    But they are so different from each other!
                    Let's Go Pirates!

Comment

• Originally posted by cavbim View Post
                      But they are so different from each other!
                      It is all Gillies fault. Yes it is.

Comment

• Originally posted by chrisP View Post
                        FYI - Saw that ex-Friar Colin McDonald made the New York Islander roster. Congrats Colin!
                        I really like Colin, but how long has he been toiling in the AHL?

Comment

Originally posted by The Freds View Post
                          I really like Colin, but how long has he been toiling in the AHL?
                          Is making the Islanders any different than toiling in the AHL?

Comment

I give Colin lots of credit for for hanging in there all these years. He's played two games with with the Oilers and five with the Penguins and had a lot of bus rides in between over the last six seasons. Many guys would have given up. I wish him wild success.

Comment

At UNH and all of our old haunts are gone but that *** song remains!!!! Life is life and PC is up 3-0.

Go Friars!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by PC91 View Post
                                At UNH and all of our old haunts are gone but that *** song remains!!!! Life is life and PC is up 3-0.

Go Friars!!!
                                5-1 Goons.

What a Game!!!

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                                -Blackadder
                                "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
                                -Casablanca
                                "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                                -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Working...
                                X