No announcement yet.

PC Hockey - On the road back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Article on Jon Gillies from Portland Herald.

http://www.pressherald.com/sports/a-special-new-year-for-gillies_2013-01-17.html
    Let's Go Pirates!

Comment

• Re: PC Hockey - On the road back

"It has definitely been an off-year for the Lancers, who are the Minnesota/BC/North Dakota/Michigan/BU, etc. of the USHL"

Come on, Red Cows. They WERE the Minnesota of the USHL when Hastings was there. Now they're the LSSU of the USHL - We won titles a long time ago!
      Last edited by purpleinnebraska; 01-17-2013, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
        He's been so nondescript that his even being offered was kind of a head scratcher for me and the guy I sat next to at the game tonight since we chatted about it when it was announced at the game.
        FYI - Back in September USHR put together a list of the USHL's Top 25 Uncommitted Players,Tait was ranked 14th. Here's what USHR had to say about him.
        14. Ryan Tait, F, 6/1/96 (Omaha) 5-10/170 — Is as quick and shifty as they come. Can really turn on a dime. The Santa Clara, California native is more of a passer than a goal scorer. Darts in and out of holes very quickly. Has a couple of seasons to get bigger, stronger, and improve his shot. Played last season for Shattuck’s U16 team.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
          He is definitely a work in progress, it would appear. I know he played really well in high school but he hasn't shown enough yet, IMHO, that I thought anybody would be offering him. A bit of a shocker.

He's been so nondescript that his even being offered was kind of a head scratcher for me and the guy I sat next to at the game tonight since we chatted about it when it was announced at the game.
          I believe this staff has done a good job of evaluating talent - so I'll trust the staff on this. In todays college hockey, if you see a kid you think can develop into a good college hockey player - you lock them up when you can. Getting young guys like Tait, Lee, and Lemos to commit early is something PC has to do. I look forward to seeing all these kids in 2015 or even 2016 playing for the Friars.
          Last edited by chrisP; 01-17-2013, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Guess they went with Goss.
            Places I've Seen a College Hockey Game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Compton Family Ice Arena, Conte Forum, Cross Insurance Arena (Cumberland County Civic Center), Dunkin' Donuts Center, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Fenway Park, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Pegula Ice Arena, Ralph Engelstad Arena, Schneider Arena, T.D. Garden, Tsongas Center, Thompson Arena, University of Southern Maine, Webster Bank Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Just a reminder, the game is being broadcast on the NBC Sports Network tonight.

Long live the alliance! Tomorrow!

Comment

Benny tonight. Yee hah.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                -Blackadder
                "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
                -Casablanca
                "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

So is Benny watching a soap opera doing this replay? Five minutes to see the obvious?

Comment

The alliance?
                    Places I've Seen a College Hockey Game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Compton Family Ice Arena, Conte Forum, Cross Insurance Arena (Cumberland County Civic Center), Dunkin' Donuts Center, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Fenway Park, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Pegula Ice Arena, Ralph Engelstad Arena, Schneider Arena, T.D. Garden, Tsongas Center, Thompson Arena, University of Southern Maine, Webster Bank Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

• Originally posted by The Freds View Post
                      So is Benny watching a soap opera doing this replay? Five minutes to see the obvious?
                      That was no where near a goal.

Our defense needs to stop giving up the odd man rushes.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                      -Blackadder
                      -Casablanca
                      "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                      -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

• Originally posted by PcFriars13 View Post
                        The alliance?
                        PC and Lowell fans on these boards have long joined in the alliance against the so-called big four when fans of BC, BU, UNH and Maine would not give due respect to the history of the PC and Lowell programs. It goes back about 10-12 years ago on USCHO.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Freds View Post
                          PC and Lowell fans on these boards have long joined in the alliance against the so-called big four when fans of BC, BU, UNH and Maine would not give due respect to the history of the PC and Lowell programs. It goes back about 10-12 years ago on USCHO.
                          According to UML fans, it goes back to 1985.

I like the fight in this team, tough loss or not.

-Blackadder
                          -Casablanca
                          -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

I've seen PC play a few times this year, and I watched them tonight on TV.

They play very hard but they are a mediocre team with an unbelievable goalie.

They should have lost by 3 or 4 last week against UMASS and they should have lost by 3 or 4 tonight.

If ths goalie stays all four years (seems unlikely) and they add just three or four top-level skaters they could contend for the league title--Gillies is that good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon View Post
                              According to UML fans, it goes back to 1985.

I like the fight in this team, tough loss or not.
                              Back when PC and Lowell were the class of HEA

Comment

[QUOTE=Jon;5601648]According to UML fans, it goes back to 1985.QUOTE]

Yes, that is correct at the very first HE Championship at Providence Civic Center where Terreri was "Extra-Terrerial" and PC won in 20T. Here's the brief synopsis from one who was in the middle of it...

Lowell upset UNH in quarterfinals to earn a spot vs. BC in the semi-finals. Lowell proceeds to get screwed by refs in BC game when they score what appears to be a goal to put Lowell up by 2 and seemingly on their way to HE championship game. However, refs call mystery penalty, goal taken away, BC ties Lowell, and then goes ahead to win 6-5. So naturally we're a little bit ticked sitting there (NOTE: this is also the origin of the Hockey East is Fixed cheer which we originated at that game). So with the final the next night being PC and BC, we decide we hate BC so much that we're going to have some fun during the championship game.

After losing to BU in consolation game the next night, we proceed to take our Lowell signs which we had hung for our game and flip them around to reveal new signs we had made earlier in the day, things like "Lowell Loves Friars" and "Beat BC" (I think we may have even had a giant Ken Hodge, Jr. report card since he was known for not getting the best grades at BC). Decked out in full Lowell garb, we proceed to march around the concourse with the signs chanting PC cheers and go right to the Providence student section and pretty much take it over. The PC fans particularly liked our "How's your grades Hodge, how's your grades...clap, clap" cheer.

So for the entire championship game, Lowell fans basically led the cheers for the entire Providence student section. In between periods, Providence fans are coming up to us, thanking us and so forth, noting that they didn't think anyone else hated BC as much as they did, etc. So we end up finding ourselves in the middle of this classic game that goes to 2OTs and when Providence wins, we're removing a section of glass and helping the Providence students through it and on to the ice. Had multiple offers inviting us all back to campus to celebrate but we were beat and just hit the road back to MA after the long night.

So that's the origins of "The Alliance" in a nutshell. If NESN ever shows this game again as they sometimes do, you can see a bunch of us in ULowell Chief garb in the midst of the Providence fans.
                                Hockey East Tournament Champions - 2013, 2014, 2017
                                Hockey East Regular Season Champions - 2013, 2017
                                Frozen Four - 2013

Charter member of Darin's "UML Seven"

Gooooooooooooo....Rivermen!

Comment

Working...
                                X