PDA

View Full Version : #15 Wisconsin vs NMU in Green Bay: On Paper, This is a Home Game....

Pages : 1 [2]

noremorse1
10-13-2012, 10:29 PM
man I tell ya, I hate to say it but this sounds like the same Wisconsin team as last year. 3-2 NMU and they were predicted to finish 9th in the CCHA. if UW is to finish in the top 5 this should have been a sweep, or at worst a split and you can chalk up 1 lost to early season jitters.

I was very hard on UW last year and cited a severe lack of talent as the problem. I'm really hoping these kids turn it around and prove me wrong.

I understand you are upset about being swept this weekend by a team you feel is second rate, but trying to discredit NMU as being predicted as 9th place CCHA finisher will get you nowhere. I see you did it in the Badger thread too. The season has barely started and preliminary rankings are absolutely worthless. Both teams played well... last night it was a bit closer. Tonight NMU played a lot better. The Badger goaltender kept it close by making a lot of great saves.

Almington
10-13-2012, 10:33 PM
I know we disagree on the talent issue so I won't debate you on that, no need to belabor the point. I'll just say I'm tired of these performances. They lost to the predicted 9th place finisher in the ccha which we've heretofore considered an inferior league top to bottom. It's exasperating and tiresome to listen to...again
I'm sick of the losing too, I suspect that every fan is at this point. By any objective measure UW has as much individual talent as any team. The problem is that UW seems to be no better than the sum of these parts but not a unified, cohesive team.

noremorse1
10-13-2012, 10:34 PM
I know we disagree on the talent issue so I won't debate you on that, no need to belabor the point. I'll just say I'm tired of these performances. They lost to the predicted 9th place finisher in the ccha which we've heretofore considered an inferior league top to bottom. It's exasperating and tiresome to listen to...again

An inferior league? If that is what you think, the road ahead is going to be rocky. You just had your asses handed to you by a team in an inferior league. Have fun in the BIG10.

This is one thing I dislike about you and the rest of the "Big 10" fans. You have this superiority complex. Well guess what, this is not football, it is hockey. I am pretty sure a lowely inferior league team won it all last year.

solovsfett
10-13-2012, 10:36 PM
I'm sick of it too, but by any objective measure UW has as much individual talent as any team. The problem is that UW seems to be no better than the sum of these parts but not a unified, cohesive team.

that second statement was just confirmed by Butters in the post-game interview I think...they have to pull it together, maybe the two consecutive weeks of practice and the Kerdiles hearing on the 18th and getting that behind them will be a big help as I still have high hopes that some guys can step up enough to lead them to a top 5.

solovsfett
10-13-2012, 10:40 PM
An inferior league? If that is what you think, the road ahead is going to be rocky. You just had your asses handed to you by a team in an inferior league. Have fun in the BIG10.

This is one thing I dislike about you and the rest of the "Big 10" fans. You have this superiority complex. Well guess what, this is not football, it is hockey. I am pretty sure a lowely inferior league team won it all last year.

most WCHA fans consider the WCHA the best league in the country and I think the number of NCAA titles in the league spread over 6 teams now proves it. but I'm not here to start that ****ing match, it's fine if you feel CCHA is the best

I've always liked NMU and really cheered for them (2nd to UW of course) w/Rick Comley at the helm years ago w/Dallas Drake et al. but what I'm saying has way more to do with UW than NMU, I'm just saying that if the CCHA writers and coaches expect a 9th place finish out of them and the WCHA coaches and writers consider UW a 5th place or better team, the performance from UW this weekend against a perceived inferior team (by the writers and coaches) is unacceptable, period.

NMUFAN
10-13-2012, 10:53 PM
Go buy some, I want to knw what he said. I didn't hear any of the game buy the last 2 minutes on the way home from a FB game. I can't get much good objective info form UWBadgers.com, other than the 2nd goal was off a skate on the pp, so Rumpel must not have played too bad considering some reported he was fighting the puck. Not a good start to the season.

A very solid start to the season! I would never have predicted a sweep but I'll gladly take it. This should be a confidence builder going forward.

noremorse1
10-13-2012, 10:54 PM
most WCHA fans consider the WCHA the best league in the country and I think the number of NCAA titles in the league spread over 6 teams now proves it. but I'm not here to start that ****ing match, it's fine if you feel CCHA is the best
I've always liked NMU and really cheered for them (2nd to UW of course) w/Rick Comley at the helm years ago w/Dallas Drake et al. but what I'm saying has way more to do with UW than NMU, I'm just saying that if the CCHA writers and coaches expect a 9th place finish out of them and the WCHA coaches and writers consider UW a 5th place or better team, the performance from UW this weekend against a perceived inferior team (by the writers and coaches) is unacceptable, period.

I dont consider the CCHA as the best, but I understand what you are saying. I do not put much stock into anything the CCHA writers have to say and am actually glad to see it disolve. I still smell conspiracy with what went down. Anyhow, I understand how you are frustrated to lose to a team predicted to finish low. However, we beat you last year in Madison and NMU has a habit of winning games that many feel they shouldnt have. Unfortunatley... they also have a habit of losing games they shouldnt.

In summary... this is hockey. Any team can win on any night if they want it, except MTU, they suck. Do not discredit the small schools. Hockey is all they have and they put a lot into it. Glad to hear you cheer NMU when they dont play UW.

Almington
10-13-2012, 10:54 PM
that second statement was just confirmed by Butters in the post-game interview I think...they have to pull it together, maybe the two consecutive weeks of practice and the Kerdiles hearing on the 18th and getting that behind them will be a big help as I still have high hopes that some guys can step up enough to lead them to a top 5.

UW has a culture-type problem in the locker room. This team appears to lack the mental toughness required in crunch time. I have no suggestions on how to fix that.

solovsfett
10-14-2012, 12:45 AM
I dont consider the CCHA as the best, but I understand what you are saying. I do not put much stock into anything the CCHA writers have to say and am actually glad to see it disolve. I still smell conspiracy with what went down. Anyhow, I understand how you are frustrated to lose to a team predicted to finish low. However, we beat you last year in Madison and NMU has a habit of winning games that many feel they shouldnt have. Unfortunatley... they also have a habit of losing games they shouldnt.

In summary... this is hockey. Any team can win on any night if they want it, except MTU, they suck. Do not discredit the small schools. Hockey is all they have and they put a lot into it. Glad to hear you cheer NMU when they dont play UW.

yeah man, I DO cheer for the small schools when they don't face UW. I'm a big fan of NCAA hockey history and have always had respect for NMU (1 title, Hiller, Beatty, Py, et al) and MTU (3 NCAA titles). I watched the 1991 title game NMU over BU in 3 OT's from my grandparents house in Wausau, WI. I was very happy that night to see NMU win it.

I think you nailed it with the "any team can win...if they WANT IT"
right now and for the past year or two UW has not wanted it, I just don't see that desire nor the step on their throat mentality when up in a game...

irishfan85
10-14-2012, 01:02 AM
I sure love seeing little NMU take down Wisconsin...especially since Alvarez was so adamant about the Big 10 hockey conference, which ruined college hockey as we know it.

davyd83
10-14-2012, 04:22 PM

That inferior league had five teams in the NCAA last year. The difference between 2nd place and 9th in the inferior league was less than 4 games. That team played your boys dead even in Mad Town and finished with a better record. That team is 7-1 in its last 8 against teams from your superior league.

NMUFAN21
10-14-2012, 08:54 PM
http://www.ccha.com/ccha_releases_2011-12_preseason_polls.aspx?Archive=y&Year=2011&Month=9&pg=4

Ferris state. Picked to finish 7th and 9th in the CCHA last year. If I remember right they finished as the national runner up. Preseason polls/rankings mean absolutely nothing, they are just a guess.

Northern flat out beat the Badgers this weekend. They outshot them both nights, took less penalties, and I know for sure they won more face offs Friday (I didn't see this stat for yesterday). Also the defense blocked so many passes/shots, and Coreau played very well stopping a few 1-0's. So NMU deserves both these wins, don't take away any credit to them.