PDA

View Full Version : St Lawrence Hockey

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

saints7
10-08-2012, 04:18 PM
Well,what did everyone think of last saturdays game? Not alot of talk out there.

apple2k
10-08-2012, 04:54 PM
Didn't see it; didn't hear it. Followed the live stats.
Having said all that--seemed as if it was a very even game, and for me the most interesting thing was that Greg C is already "untracked."
I also liked the fact that C put the hurt on some other team the next night. w00t!
One other thing--if we can be competitive at WMU, I'll be revising my ECAC prediction. It's shaping up to be a pretty tough weekend coming up, IMHO.

nhmonarch
10-08-2012, 08:19 PM
Watched the game on America One. SLU was much faster, more athletic & more aggressive. Carlton however was a pretty good team with a pretty good goalie.
Having said all that--seemed as if it was a very even game, and for me the most interesting thing was that Greg C is already "untracked."
I also liked the fact that C put the hurt on some other team the next night. w00t!
One other thing--if we can be competitive at WMU, I'll be revising my ECAC prediction. It's shaping up to be a pretty tough weekend coming up, IMHO.

critsports
10-12-2012, 10:36 PM

Well seeing as we won in OT and were ahead until WMU scored an extra attacker goal perhaps it's time to revisit your predictions.

Way to go boys. Nice win tonight!!!!

apple2k
10-13-2012, 06:16 AM
Yes, a nice win in a hostile building full of loud hostiles! Two things, though:
--Didn't we allow a LOT of teams to score EN goals last year? Ouch.
--Won't other teams figure out a way to shut down our one terrific line? We need secondary scorers.
Let's see how the game goes tonight, especially 5 on 5--seemed to me that while our PP was terrific, we struggled at even strength.
Oh, one other thing: seemed as if we were very disciplined, took no "bad" penalties--and when we were on the PK, shut them down really well.

SLUdad
10-13-2012, 06:37 AM
Saints - Great opening! Had to 'watch' via Live Stats (have yet to figure out the audio feed). Great to see the boys not give up after loosing the lead in last 30 sec. Have to control more face offs - is that SLU's Achilles Heel? Good Luck tonight and with the rest of the season.

saints7
10-13-2012, 07:20 AM
Great opening win last night Saints! A tough place to win at. follow it up tonight,tighten down the defense,

sshablak
10-13-2012, 09:05 AM
Nice win wtg !!!

elsid
10-13-2012, 09:12 AM
Saints - Great opening! Had to 'watch' via Live Stats (have yet to figure out the audio feed). Great to see the boys not give up after loosing the lead in last 30 sec. Have to control more face offs - is that SLU's Achilles Heel? Good Luck tonight and with the rest of the season.

Unfortunately the audio feed is not working this weekend...something to do with the way it is wired and feedback to the broadcast line. The guys at the station have promised to fix it and have it ready for the Maine games and the rest of the way. I think when it is up and running it will be a lot clearer and more reliable than our old system. Thanks for your patience.

Saints#1
10-13-2012, 10:00 AM

There was a live audio feed through the Western Michigan website. I am not sure if you knew this or not.

hockeyplayer1015
10-13-2012, 10:22 AM
Gotta love seeing a positive start against a team that should be very strong this year. Faceoffs have been the achilles heal of this team for the past decade probably, never seem to beat teams in that category. Hopefully they can grab another dubya tonight!!

nhmonarch
10-13-2012, 12:21 PM
Great win against a very strong team! WMU is one of the best coached college teams that I've seen; sophisticated - multiple breakout schemes, collapsing team defense plus a very talented group of players with multiple NHL draft choices. The SLU 1st line is excellent, especially on the power play and I agree SLU will need secondary scoring. Wasn't the game winner secondary scoring and 5X5? I can't speak to historical face off difficulties but last year SLU won the season battle with Flanagan, Essery, Thompson and Armstrong (primary face off players) all over 50%. Although face off wins last night was very poor, from what I saw 5x5 team defensive breakdowns was the real issue causing WMU's first two goals. Goal 2 was especially ugly as a WMU player skated right around a wing and defender to shoot within 3 feet of Weneinger untouched....I agree with Saints7 - team defense (all 5 skaters) cannot breakdown that is the primary issue at this point. What was great to see is now 2 weeks in a row getting a win in overtime after the opponent scored late. Last year that did not happen

Muskieman
10-13-2012, 06:59 PM
Unfortunately the audio feed is not working this weekend...something to do with the way it is wired and feedback to the broadcast line. The guys at the station have promised to fix it and have it ready for the Maine games and the rest of the way. I think when it is up and running it will be a lot clearer and more reliable than our old system. Thanks for your patience.

In tonight's game, it's 1-0 WMU after 1. WMU Audio feed is at: http://wkzo.com/listen-live/?ATCLID=205711646&SPSID=24470&SPID=1928&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4600

Women's team had a tough weekend, losing 5-0 and 6-0 to #1 Minnesota at Appleton.

apple2k
10-14-2012, 07:32 AM
Well, a split isn't awful, and there are some obvious positives to take away from the weekend:
--Flanagan!
--Weninger!
Unfortunately, allowing the opposition to use Weninger as a target for shooting practice is not a great sign for our "defense."

critsports
10-14-2012, 10:08 AM
Well, a split isn't awful, and there are some obvious positives to take away from the weekend:
--Flanagan!
--Weninger!
Unfortunately, allowing the opposition to use Weninger as a target for shooting practice is not a great sign for our "defense."

Guess our opponents were a bit better prepared on Saturday night. After Friday it sounded like they came out loaded for bear and probably got a stern lecture. Nice that the result was close but not so nice as you say that we were out shot by such a wide margin. Flanny and Carey are off to hot starts. Can't wait to see some of the freshman but first chance for me won't be until Joe Marsh weekend.

saints7
10-15-2012, 03:59 PM
I would say that a split on the weekend is alright for the opening weekend. a few points though. 1) continued missed defensive assignments in their owm zone has to stop. It has been a rather constant presence for St.Lawrene for the past several years. That where practice comes in. I have always believed that you play as well as you practice. when I have watched their pre game skate,I do not always see intensity or passion. 2) face offs,last several years not terribly strong,has to get better. 3) most of their offense comes from the point,always wide,never anyone in front or in the slot,point men hesitant to shoot. Positives are many, they are off to a good start. I like chemistry of this team and think that they are going to be the suprise team this year. martin is going to be a monster this year. got to get the second and third lines going.

Muskieman
10-17-2012, 12:07 AM
Another player, Mike Marnell of Des Moines in the USHL, has committed to SLU for 2014. The announcement is below:

Marnell Commits to St. Lawrence

10/16/2012, 4:15pm CDT

By Scott Montesano

Urbandale (IA) The Des Moines Buccaneers are proud to announce that rookie forward Mike Marnell has committed to St. Lawrence University beginning with the 2014-2015 season.

Marnell, 17, is in his first season in the United States Hockey League after previously playing for the Long Island Royals midget program. Through his first six games with the Buccaneers he has one goal and one assist.

"Michael has stepped in a contributed right away" said Bucs' head coach and general manager Jon Rogger. "He is a hard worker both on and off the ice and has a bright future ahead of him."

He is a native of Huntington Station, NY, located on Long Island, but will be attending school along the Canadian border in Northern New York when he joins the Saints.

St. Lawrence is a Division I program located in Canton, NY and plays in the Eastern Collegiate Hockey Conference (ECAC). Greg Carvel is in his first year as head coach for the Saints and is looking to bring the program back to being a regular conference contender and NCAA Tournament participant. From 1982-1983 until 2006-2007 the program made nine tournaments but hasnít been back since.

Des Moines is coming off a perfect weekend in which they defeated Omaha and Muskegon at home. The Buccaneers are home again Friday at 7pm against Team USA (U-17) and itís the first Miller Lite $1.50 Beer Night presented by Lazer 103.3. All guests 21 & over will be able to enjoy discounted Miller Lite during the game.

TimU
10-19-2012, 08:36 PM
Wow. Another win, 2 more PP goals, five different scorers, none of them named Flanagan or Carey.

critsports
10-19-2012, 11:33 PM
Nice win by the boys tonight. Special teams have been impressive so far this year both on the PP and on the kill. We didn't get a lot of shots on goal tonight but boy did we take advantage of the one's we did scoring on about 20% of our shots. Nice win.....here's hoping they can do the same tomorrow night. Good Luck boys, let's get another W on Saturday.

saints7
10-20-2012, 05:44 AM
nice win last night Saints. nice to see secondary scoring. Take it to them tonight because they will come out storming. skate hard and cut down on the penalties.