Michigan State @ Minnesota: 10/12 - 10/13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michigan State @ Minnesota: 10/12 - 10/13

The Gophers open the regular season at Mariucci Arena this weekend, they host soon to be conference foes Michigan State for 2 nonconference games. Fridays game is at 6:00PM and Saturday is at 8:00PM, they are both on FSN.

The Gophers spanked lowly Lethbridge 7-0 Saturday night in an exhibition game while Michigan State plays Windsor tonight in an exhibition game.

Go
    Originally posted by CavalryNate
    Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
    sigpic

Re: Michigan State @ Minnesota: 10/12 - 10/13

So effing excited!! Is it Friday yet?!
    "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

i said last year after getting beaten rather convincingly at michigan state that id like to see how the matchup plays out on an olympic sheet. here is the U's chance. gotta get some early out-of-conference wins so they dont have the same pairwise problem as last year. and a bit of an early start on a new rivalry..

Comment

Agreed, great way to prepare for a new rivalry with BTHC starts and you know a bunch of these guys have a bad taste in their mouths after MSU took "3pts" from the Gophers last year.

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Yeah it should be a good series, looking forward to it.

Michigan State fans: Can you give us some info on your squad this year, are they young or old or a good mixture? What are the strengths and weaknesses heading into the season?
          Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Driftryder View Post
            Yeah it should be a good series, looking forward to it.

Michigan State fans: Can you give us some info on your squad this year, are they young or old or a good mixture? What are the strengths and weaknesses heading into the season?
            Our team is quite young this year. I believe 10 incoming freshman along with two transfers. They appear to be a pretty cool blend of size and skill which I think was sorely needed, especially size on the blueline. There are a couple of big questions marks, mostly on defense. Actually that is really the only big questions mark, I guess. We only have 2 returning defenders and one of them was out the second half of the year with a concussion last season. Also, Torey Krug, our captain and one of the CCHA's best defensemen opted to forego his senior year and jumped to the NHL. We brought in 2 transfers to help take some pressure off of our freshman but nobody really knows what to expect. Defense might be an absolute adventure this season, at least until our guys get their feet wet.

Our offense should be able to put up points this year. Plenty of new faces but some pretty good talent returning and not nearly as inexperienced as the defense. Seriously, this weekend is gonna be wild back there.

Goaltending should be quite good. Yanakeff is solid with plenty of experience splitting starts the last couple years. He started to take over near the end of last year.

Without having seen us play yet, it's a little harder to pin this stuff down. While Windsor isn't going to be a great indicator of how good we are, it will be useful to see the guys play a bit. Perhaps later tonight we will be able to shed some more light on our team.

But not to sandbag or anything, I am not expecting a win out there. Minny will have far too much firepower aimed at our inexperienced defense.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateasaurus View Post
              Our team is quite young this year. I believe 10 incoming freshman along with two transfers. They appear to be a pretty cool blend of size and skill which I think was sorely needed, especially size on the blueline. There are a couple of big questions marks, mostly on defense. Actually that is really the only big questions mark, I guess. We only have 2 returning defenders and one of them was out the second half of the year with a concussion last season. Also, Torey Krug, our captain and one of the CCHA's best defensemen opted to forego his senior year and jumped to the NHL. We brought in 2 transfers to help take some pressure off of our freshman but nobody really knows what to expect. Defense might be an absolute adventure this season, at least until our guys get their feet wet.

Our offense should be able to put up points this year. Plenty of new faces but some pretty good talent returning and not nearly as inexperienced as the defense. Seriously, this weekend is gonna be wild back there.

Goaltending should be quite good. Yanakeff is solid with plenty of experience splitting starts the last couple years. He started to take over near the end of last year.

Without having seen us play yet, it's a little harder to pin this stuff down. While Windsor isn't going to be a great indicator of how good we are, it will be useful to see the guys play a bit. Perhaps later tonight we will be able to shed some more light on our team.

But not to sandbag or anything, I am not expecting a win out there. Minny will have far too much firepower aimed at our inexperienced defense.
              Yeah it's tough to know exactly what the team is going to be like without seeing them play yet. Even after our game against Lethbridge (who were awful) it still doesn't give you the full picture of what kind of team we will have. Goaltending for us will be the big ? with a Freshman and a Junior who hasn't played much at all, our D should be strong this year with everyone returning, as well as pretty balanced scoring throughout our lineup.
              sigpic

Comment

Being #1 makes me think every series, especially early, could be trap games. We should be good but how will it all come together when it starts to count in the records. Goalies often need to stand on their head to contain such a high powered offense, but it has happened. I'm very anxious to see the combinations on the ice and how well they work together. Also how Shiby and Wilcox stand up to a better challenge that may actually keep them awake for the entire game.

Comment

Can't wait, let's go Gophers!

Comment

What are the times, again?

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                      What are the times, again?
                      Friday: 6pm
                      Saturday: 8pm
                      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

MN sweeps. There is no doubt.
                        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                          Friday: 6pm
                          Saturday: 8pm
                          Glad of those times. Just got the bantam schedule for the month and the kid's got a practice from 5:10-6:10 so we can scramble and make the game at 8, 7 and he would miss the game as I'd take someone else.

Comment

Is it just me or is the facebook countdown to the game starting to get a little annoying? They started it much too high.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggsy View Post
                              Is it just me or is the facebook countdown to the game starting to get a little annoying? They started it much too high.
                              I've loved every day of it!

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Working...
                              X