No announcement yet.

UCONN Hockey 2012-13: Hockey East Here We Come

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very nice win tonight. Now to grind it out tomorrow night and get above 0.500. One shift at a time, UConn.

Comment

Not exactly what we had in mind. For whatever reason, it looks like there is now a decision to be made on goaltending.

Comment

Re: UCONN Hockey 2012-13: Hockey East Here We Come

Originally posted by RSTuthill View Post
        Not exactly what we had in mind. For whatever reason, it looks like there is now a decision to be made on goaltending.
        Based on last night and looking over the stats when I did my RIT preview, I think it's an easy decision.
        2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
        2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
        2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
        2010 Frozen Four participant
        2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
          Based on last night and looking over the stats when I did my RIT preview, I think it's an easy decision.
          Komey1, I think most goaltenders are streaky by nature and Bartus simply seems to be in a down part of the cycle right now -- unless you can convince me (having watched the game) that UConn was out partying after the game the night before and sucked on Saturday night. Problem is, I don't think Berard has the luxury of sticking with the rotation despite how outstanding Bartus has been in the past. He is clearly in a slump right now (every player has these periods). He will recover, but I think he will have to do it from the bench. Grogan clearly has the hot hand right now and we are essentially into playoff hockey right this very moment. A collapse at the end of the RS like last year would be unacceptable.

Comment

I think you have to go with the guy who gives you the best chance to win. And right now that looks to be Grogan. though I'd also say this group needs to focus. they seem utterly incapble of putting together two games in a row.

Comment

Agreed, Jim. I think they have to go with Grogan for both games this weekend. If the same pattern repeats, then we know it's the skaters. The other way to do it would be to reverse the rotation this next weekend. But right now my gut tells me that is the riskier option.

Comment

Good article on Coach Marshall's legacy.
                http://today.uconn.edu/huskymania/20...-uconn-hockey/
                "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
                  Good article on Coach Marshall's legacy.
                  http://today.uconn.edu/huskymania/20...-uconn-hockey/
                  Hear!! Hear!

Very true. Bruce was doing it with smoke and mirrors. Yes, it wasn't great to have to over-recruit and then let the cream rise to the top. But he had to do that without scholarships in the program.

The situation was the same as FB HC Paul Pasqualoni finds himself in at this very moment. Without the ability to attract a consensus five star QB to the Huskies, he now has five QB's for next year and hopes that one of them will rise to head and shoulders above the rest as they try to coach all five up.

Comment

Hear!! Hear!

Very true. Bruce was doing it with smoke and mirrors. Yes, it wasn't great to have to over-recruit and then let the cream rise to the top. But he had to do that without scholarships in the program.

The situation was the same as FB HC Paul Pasqualoni finds himself in at this very moment. Without the ability to attract a consensus five star QB to the Huskies, he now has five QB's for next year and hopes that one of them will rise to head and shoulders above the rest as they try to coach all five up.
                    Well put, Dick. I've always, well mostly, been a Marshall defender given what he was asked to do. I think the over-recruiting sometimes lead to problems in the locker room but given what he had to work with he did a solid job, I always thought.

Comment

Agreed, Jim. I think they have to go with Grogan for both games this weekend. If the same pattern repeats, then we know it's the skaters. The other way to do it would be to reverse the rotation this next weekend. But right now my gut tells me that is the riskier option.
                      Absolutely. You have to go with Grogan. I know that Bartus has been the face of the program for the last 3 years, but we have at least a shot at a very solid season, and you have to do every thing possible to get there. I also agree that reversing the rotaion is an option, but its not one I'd take.

Comment

Great win at the JAR tonight. Now let's see if the Huskies can bear down and grind out a win in Storrs tomorrow. Their season is what the Huskies make it and it is hanging in the balance at the moment. It will be interesting to see how much the Huskies really want it.

This should be fun, a Monday night game.

Comment

Whoa, 6-0 at the middle of the second period. Sounds like the dam has finally broken. But I am reminded of that first Mercyhurst game and the fact that the game is 60 minutes long. Nonetheless, it sounds like the just relax and have fun approach is working. Wish I could be there to see this, but the broadcast is great.

Comment

Well, go figure. I am at a loss for words. 9-0???

Comment

See Dick, all they needed to do was go with the hot goalie! LOL...
                              great to finally get a 4 point weekend!

Comment

Suddenly it is fun to be a UConn Hockey fan again. The last utter blowout I can remember was like 12-0 against Quinnipiac at Hamden HS rink sometime around 1991, the year they won the ECAC East RS. Wish I could remember the name of the guy who got a double hat trick that night. I will look it up when I get home tonight. Great guy.

HC will be a bigger challenge. I will definitely be there on Friday even though I missed out last night. I am hoping for a great crowd. The season is on the line, but I like the relax and just play idea. With a lot of confidence, that should work.

Edit: The name Kevin Sullivan comes to mind, but I will verify tonight.
                                Last edited by RSTuthill; 02-12-2013, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X