UCONN Hockey 2012-13: Hockey East Here We Come

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UCONN Hockey 2012-13: Hockey East Here We Come

I doubt money will be the issue. There has been a quote from the AD, Warde Manuel, that he wants a minimum 5 year contract in order to build the program. Instant credibility is one thing but there also needs to be a long range plan. From what I've heard that has been the only issue with respect to Gwozdecky. According to Jeff Jacobs of the Courant, it is down to Gwozdecky, Cavanaugh and Berard.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyjunkie10 View Post
      I don't think salary will be an issue in this instance. UConn knew what they were getting into with HEA and that meant an across the board upgrade (facilities, staff, etc.). I'd anticipate the UConn HC salary to be ~$250k...

agreed. they have run the program on the cheap because they could be relatively competitive in AH without the investment. HE will be another story. I think they will land in the $225-$265 range. By comparison, as was mentioned Gwoz was making around $220 at Denver, Rohlik got $250k per year for 5 years. Rumor in Maine circles is that they are looking to offer whoever they choose less than what Whitehead was making, so sub $195k. Figure Montgomery has to be in the $215-225k range at Denver.

Comment

Originally posted by gscott13 View Post
        agreed. they have run the program on the cheap because they could be relatively competitive in AH without the investment. HE will be another story. I think they will land in the $225-$265 range. By comparison, as was mentioned Gwoz was making around $220 at Denver, Rohlik got $250k per year for 5 years. Rumor in Maine circles is that they are looking to offer whoever they choose less than what Whitehead was making, so sub $195k. Figure Montgomery has to be in the $215-225k range at Denver.
        The $220K figure for Gwoz was only his base and didn't include bonuses, his hockey camp, etc. He was making north of $400k. He was trying to negotiate a higher salary at DU and extend his contract for 5 years. My guess it will cost UCONN minimally $500k in total to get Gwoz. He doesn't have to take a job as he is getting paid for the last year on his contract and can sit on the sidelines for a year if he wants to. It will be interesting to see if he wants to get involved with basically building a program from the ground up.
        DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Will Moran ‏@goalmouthradio 2h

UConn non-conference schedule next year: 2 games At Minnesota State; At Boston University; vs. Union; At Providence; ....(cont.)

Vs. Sacred Heart (non-league); Vs. Quinnipiac or UMass (Holiday Tournament)

Those games in no necessary order.

Comment

Gwoz is the right guy for the job. Instant cred. Will have monster recruiting class next year. I have watched one of his disciples build back RPI. George will have the program contending by it's thrid year in HEA. Gwoz is also a class act.
            Last edited by AspyDad; 05-02-2013, 09:59 PM.
            "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

At this point I will support whomever gets it. All three are great choices. Chris MacKenzie just got named the Women's coach. Time to make this decision.

Comment

I am hardly unbiased. But the Huskies couldn't get a better guy. You look at his record at DU and you'll understand. The team GPA's on those two NC teams were in the 3.4-3.5 range. DU annually had more all-academic performers than anyone in the WCHA. He recruits high character guys, who won't embarrass their team or their university. And he makes certain those players live up to his high expectations. He wins games. Lots of them. He leaves DU with the longest active streak of 20 win seasons, 12. And 6 consecutive NC$$ tournament appearances. He restored DU to excellence after a long period where the program was ignored. And all DU fans will forever be grateful to him for that. You could do worse than George Gwozdecky, way worse.
                Last edited by Old Pio; 05-03-2013, 01:22 AM.
                2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Incredible how good the final three list is. Just incredible. UConn sure is a popular place right now. Decision today, process stuff the next coupla days, announcement on Wednesday I am guessing. Maybe sooner. Can't wait.

Comment

[QUOTE=du78;5719401 It will be interesting to see if he wants to get involved with basically building a program from the ground up.[/QUOTE]To me that would be the only question you would need to ask. The money you could figure out. No question he is an excellent coach. no question he has run a high quality program. the only question I would have were I doing the hiring is "George, are you up for building something from scratch?"

Comment

I like the final list...hopefully they can get things done with Gwozdecky. If not, my second choice is Cavanaugh. Nothing against Berard but HE isn't the AHA competition wise...and some VERY good points have been brought up about his ability to recruit. The fact that Gwozdecky is a finalist tells me that the facility upgrade UCONN had to show HE must have passed his test.

Comment

Originally posted by FDNY99 View Post
                        I like the final list...hopefully they can get things done with Gwozdecky. If not, my second choice is Cavanaugh. Nothing against Berard but HE isn't the AHA competition wise...and some VERY good points have been brought up about his ability to recruit. The fact that Gwozdecky is a finalist tells me that the facility upgrade UCONN had to show HE must have passed his test.
                        In fairness to Berard, recruiting to Providence to play for Tim Army or UConn to play for Bruce Marshall is a hell of a lot harder than Cavanaugh's "Come to BC to play for Jerry York." Add in facility and scholarship issues and it was really no contest. Cavanaugh's name has come up for a number of jobs and no one has pulled the trigger. I'm not on the inside so I don't know why, but there may be a perception that he's just being carried along by the York/BC tidal wave. There may also be a concern that with York getting older and having physical problems Cavanaugh will leave in a few years to return to BC as York's replacement.

UConn should be able to judge Berard on what he's accomplished in two years at the school (both on the ice this season and in the increasing quality of recruit commitments for upcoming seasons) under difficult circumstances. I dont' think that's enough for him to be picked over Gwozdecky if they can find common ground financially and in terms of a multi-year commitment to get the program firmly established in HE, but I'm not convinced that a choice between Berard and Cavanaugh is as clear cut as some think.

Comment

Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
                          In fairness to Berard, recruiting to Providence to play for Tim Army or UConn to play for Bruce Marshall is a hell of a lot harder than Cavanaugh's "Come to BC to play for Jerry York." Add in facility and scholarship issues and it was really no contest. Cavanaugh's name has come up for a number of jobs and no one has pulled the trigger. I'm not on the inside so I don't know why, but there may be a perception that he's just being carried along by the York/BC tidal wave. There may also be a concern that with York getting older and having physical problems Cavanaugh will leave in a few years to return to BC as York's replacement.

UConn should be able to judge Berard on what he's accomplished in two years at the school (both on the ice this season and in the increasing quality of recruit commitments for upcoming seasons) under difficult circumstances. I dont' think that's enough for him to be picked over Gwozdecky if they can find common ground financially and in terms of a multi-year commitment to get the program firmly established in HE, but I'm not convinced that a choice between Berard and Cavanaugh is as clear cut as some think.
                          Very good points.

Comment

• Originally posted by rpi82 View Post

I'll second that...very good points.

Comment

Originally posted by rpi82 View Post

re: the point about him returning to BC when york retires.... rumor has it that some things have gone on behind the scenes to pretty much guarantee Greg Brown takes over the reins when york retires...

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post
                                To me that would be the only question you would need to ask. The money you could figure out. No question he is an excellent coach. no question he has run a high quality program. the only question I would have were I doing the hiring is "George, are you up for building something from scratch?"
                                That's essentially what he had to do at DU.

One episode, I think, really demonstrates Gwoz' approach. The night before the NC game in '04, he announced that Lukas Dora wouldn't be playing against Maine. Dora was the 3rd leading scorer, a senior, on the PP and had scored the GWG against Minnesota Duluth in the semi-finals. He was set down for a still unknown violation of team rules. This was the biggest game for DU in 35 years.

Later, when the Pioneers went to the WH, President Bush mentioned Dora by name. Gwoz had obviously fed him the information. It was Gwoz' way of telling the kid his four years, and especially his senior year hadn't been forgotten because of one mistake. Again, I'm hardly unbiased, but that's one of the classiest things I've ever seen.
                                Last edited by Old Pio; 05-03-2013, 07:03 PM.
                                2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Working...
                                X