Merrimack 2012-13 Season thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merrimack 2012-13 Season thread

Was at a wedding tonight but the audio I did hear was great. Big win tonight by the warriors and a great start to the season
    Rinks Visited
    DCU Center
    Tulley Forum
    TD Garden
    Tsongas Arena
    J. Thom Lawler Arena
    Conte Forum
    Whittemore Center
    Agganis Arena
    Verizon Center
    Gutterson Fieldhouse
    Matthews Arena
    Thompson Arena
    Mullins Center
    Alfond Arena
    Schneider Arena
    Magness Arena
    Ingallas Arena
    Hart Center
    Prudential Center
    TD Bank Sports Center
    John A Ryan
    Lynah Rink
    Appleton Arena
    Cheel Arena
    Germain Arena
    XL Center
    Class of 1965 Arena

Re: Merrimack 2012-13 Season thread

I didn't go to the game since I live on the Left Coast Hats off to your boys. Big win to start the season.

Keith.
    Keith Reynolds
    Union College
    Class of 1992
    B.A. in Economics/Mathematics

University of Nevada - Las Vegas
    Class of 2001
    M.S. in Sports and Leisure Management

"I went to Union before it sucked...."

Comment

I'll take a win on the road at a #5 team any day. Expectations were set and exceeded.
      Last edited by Yuppie Scum; 10-07-2012, 02:09 AM.

Comment

Great start to the season, only listened to radio broadcast but sounds like Marotta was solid in net. Liked the sound of the lines, especially that second line with some serious speed between Bates and Myers. Intrigued to see who we see in net at Matthews Wednesday, do they ride the hot hand? Hopefully, Bigos isn't seriously hurt.

Comment

Thank you for helping me blitz the ECAC pick'em contest. Best of luck to your season; this is a great start for you.

Comment

Originally posted by FeartheWarrior View Post
            Great start to the season, only listened to radio broadcast but sounds like Marotta was solid in net. Liked the sound of the lines, especially that second line with some serious speed between Bates and Myers. Intrigued to see who we see in net at Matthews Wednesday, do they ride the hot hand? Hopefully, Bigos isn't seriously hurt.
            Agreed, there is is some serious speed up front with Bates,Bly,Toomey and Myers. What happened to Bigos?
            Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Originally posted by RENCEB View Post
              What happened to Bigos?
              According the postgame podcasts, Dennehy called it a "lower-body injury". Also mentioned he was being further evaluated today.

After watching via web feed, I have to say that Marotta was great last night. You can notice the positional improvement from his sophomore year to his junior year as he squared up more pucks vs. Union, but I still think there is work to be done in controlling rebounds. I also thought the defense last night was superb - they cleared out pucks in front of the net and threw them to open ice and out of the zone for quick transition. Also, it was clear that a tandem of Myers and Bates was causing problems for Union as both speedsters were beating the Union defensemen down the ice and cancelling out icings for scoring opportunities. Also, can't say as I am surprised to see the Mansfield-Bly-Singleton line make an impact in Game 1; they really gelled as a line last season defensively and in the playoffs they showed some scoring prowess - hopefully they can mold themselves into Flanigan-Madsen-Sheen Part II.
              "Get used to this drill, we'll be doing it a lot."
              "Why?"
              "Because the legs feed the wolf, gentlemen..."

Comment

nice win for you guys

Comment

Congrats to Josh Myers on being named HEA Player of the Week! Merrimack was also named team of the week for the win over #5 Union. http://www.hockeyeastonline.com/men/...210/oct8wr.php
                  National Champions: 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949
                  Hockey East Tournament Champions: 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2007, 2005, 2001, 1999, 1998, 1990, 1987
                  Hockey East Regular Season Champions: 2014, 2012, 2011, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2001, 1991, 1990, 1989, 1987, 1986, 1985

Originally posted by SteveF
                  two things you need to know about the current state of BU hockey

a) fanboys chanted 'thank you seniors' at the beanpot
                  b) fanboys chanted 'wheres your beanpot' while getting blown out in the semis of the HE tournament

Comment

After thinking about last nights game I think in the end the loss will be a positive. Merrimack clearly was not ready to play last night and it cost them the game. I thought the effort in the last forty - five minutes was very good. Unfortunately for the Warriors it is a sixty minute game.
                    Rinks Visited
                    DCU Center
                    Tulley Forum
                    TD Garden
                    Tsongas Arena
                    J. Thom Lawler Arena
                    Conte Forum
                    Whittemore Center
                    Agganis Arena
                    Verizon Center
                    Gutterson Fieldhouse
                    Matthews Arena
                    Thompson Arena
                    Mullins Center
                    Alfond Arena
                    Schneider Arena
                    Magness Arena
                    Ingallas Arena
                    Hart Center
                    Prudential Center
                    TD Bank Sports Center
                    John A Ryan
                    Lynah Rink
                    Appleton Arena
                    Cheel Arena
                    Germain Arena
                    XL Center
                    Class of 1965 Arena

Comment

Originally posted by MCgrad07 View Post
                      After thinking about last nights game I think in the end the loss will be a positive. Merrimack clearly was not ready to play last night and it cost them the game. I thought the effort in the last forty - five minutes was very good. Unfortunately for the Warriors it is a sixty minute game.
                      Agreed, Northeastern looked a lot more prepared than MC. Welcome to D1, Rasmus. If you take away even one of the goals in the first, it's a whole different ballgame. Just sucks to lose league points to a team that is inferior to the one we beat last Saturday. Hopefully a couple weeks of practice and some fresh Alaskan air will provide the perspective needed.

I was expecting a bigger turnout at the Matthews, the Dog House/Pound/Whatever was there but nobody in the lower levels.

Comment

Originally posted by Yuppie Scum View Post
                        Agreed, Northeastern looked a lot more prepared than MC. Welcome to D1, Rasmus. If you take away even one of the goals in the first, it's a whole different ballgame. Just sucks to lose league points to a team that is inferior to the one we beat last Saturday. Hopefully a couple weeks of practice and some fresh Alaskan air will provide the perspective needed.

I was expecting a bigger turnout at the Matthews, the Dog House/Pound/Whatever was there but nobody in the lower levels.
                        I felt the same last year when I went there. It was the perfect storm of a Wednesday, in October, a Northeastern team that wasn't that good last year and the fact that Merrimack does not travel well and that is what you are going to get.
                        Rinks Visited
                        DCU Center
                        Tulley Forum
                        TD Garden
                        Tsongas Arena
                        J. Thom Lawler Arena
                        Conte Forum
                        Whittemore Center
                        Agganis Arena
                        Verizon Center
                        Gutterson Fieldhouse
                        Matthews Arena
                        Thompson Arena
                        Mullins Center
                        Alfond Arena
                        Schneider Arena
                        Magness Arena
                        Ingallas Arena
                        Hart Center
                        Prudential Center
                        TD Bank Sports Center
                        John A Ryan
                        Lynah Rink
                        Appleton Arena
                        Cheel Arena
                        Germain Arena
                        XL Center
                        Class of 1965 Arena

Comment

A few observations from Matthews last night:

Really liked what I saw from Josh Myers last night - he was all over the ice, forced a couple of turnovers and had a nice breakaway chance in addition to an assist later in the game. His speed and tenacity will be a big asset as the season moves along.

John Heffernan looked quicker on the puck - better stickhandling and quickness up and down the sheet compared to last season. He did miss on a PP shot from the slot with 2 minutes left, but that was the only negative I saw all night...

Ben Bahe was an intriguing player - he has great skating ability, but looked like he was pressing a bit - missing on tape to tape passes a few times and losing pucks in the offensive end a couple times. He was being used by Dennehy as the "stretch" player too, which leads me to believe he could have a nice role once he gets a few games under his belt.

After the timeout, I thought Rasmus Tirronen did a nice job, good reactions and solid positioning. The one thing that struck me is his Ben Bishop-like desire to wander from the net. There was one stray puck that bounced off the boards and came within inches of going in. With very active boards at Volpe - that could be something worth watching. Also, on the Kevin Roy breakaway - he came way out of his crease to challenge the shooter which is something we haven't seen from an MC goaltender in a while.
                          "Why?"

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorDJ View Post
                            John Heffernan looked quicker on the puck - better stickhandling and quickness up and down the sheet compared to last season. He did miss on a PP shot from the slot with 2 minutes left, but that was the only negative I saw all night...
                            What been the deal with Heffernan? He's played very little over his first three years. Injuries?

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
                              What been the deal with Heffernan? He's played very little over his first three years. Injuries?
                              He has always been the first guy off the bench when the team needed a sub in his first three seasons - but as to why, I'm not sure...
                              "Why?"

Comment

Working...
                              X