X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RPI Hockey 2012-2013 Part 1: Pocket Protectors and Hockey Sticks

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
    Was that the Middlebury game that broke the winless streak? If so, I can recall standing there with my parents watching from up on the hill above the old field. I was beginning to think tht I would leave Troy without evr seeing a victory. When we brought in a patsy Nichols team for homecoming and they had just started to play football and led by 14 points with minutes to play and still did not win-I really thought all was lost.
    Yes, that Middlebury game. At least that is what I recall.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Walking through a flea market this past weekend Jenny and I ran into an old fellow selling a selection of ancient K&E sliderules. He was surprised thaat we knew what they were. Most people walking by had no clue.
      I still have mine. I suspect that a lot of people do.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by ibanezist00 View Post
        A few things I took away from Saturday night's exhibition:

- We've got some talented freshmen if they keep playing like they did. They're not all snipers, but they're all present on the ice.
        - Diebold better be starting at least one game against Ferris State, and I want to see more of Kasdorf too.
        - The ECAC refs are just as ridiculous as always (apparently getting cross-checked in the middle of your back calls for a diving penalty now?)
        - Using that 4-on-3 situation where RPI scored as a good example: where did they finally learn to pass like that?? Keep it up!
        - Though it was just an exhibition, I sensed a lot more cohesiveness as a team. Both teams performed better than last year's exhibition.
        - Loving the line combinations that we did see, I actually think they should stick with them.

Real test is coming this weekend though, we'll see what they can do. Even if they lose all weekend against Ferris, if they can play well and not get completely blown out on the scoreboard, I'll still call it a success based on who the opposition is.
        Every year it seems we try to read too much into these first few games. Last year, I recall everyone being excited after Acadia, hopeful after Minnesota St. and then pretty down after Ferris State. No one knew that Ferris was any good at the time. This year? Who knows where things will go but there are a couple of things I think we can reasonably expect. First, we are better than last year. I base this on our record in the 2nd 1/2 of last year and limited graduation losses. Second, Ferris State is not as good as they were last year. This is based on the CCHA polls which have them 4th or 5th. Clearly if they were as good as last year, having been in the NC game, they would have polled higher.

Given these two factors, I'll be disappointed if we don't do better than "not getting blown out". I think a split is a reasonable expectation and would be happy with that.

Comment

You can expect the number of people watching the stream to increase exponentially once we hit the regular season. RPI TV is doing a great job and oppoosing team fans wil catch on quickly. Home attendance is another story-only a few teams coming into Troy bring very many fans. But if this team can string together a bunch of victories-perhaps the local support will flourish.
          We ended up having more than that later in the game - I can't remember exactly, but it was closer to 150.

Overall, how did the stream go? Did anyone have any buffering issues or general playback problems? I am still working on getting the automatic bitrate switching for live streams working, which should improve the experience quite a bit.
          Watch many of the RPI hockey games on our website, rpitv.org

Comment

Originally posted by mackek2 View Post
            Overall, how did the stream go? Did anyone have any buffering issues or general playback problems? I am still working on getting the automatic bitrate switching for live streams working, which should improve the experience quite a bit.
            There was some discussion on the game thread, starting at post 133 along with some general comments earlier in the game.
            Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Originally posted by mackek2 View Post
              We ended up having more than that later in the game - I can't remember exactly, but it was closer to 150.

How fast a connection does one need? I have a 3360 Kbps DSL connection and it often froze. Part of the problem could have been that I was using the same computer as I used for posting, and also my virus protaqctor decided to do a scan (which I did not realize at the time) which, although it is supposedly in the background, could have taken up resources.
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
                There was some discussion on the game thread, starting at post 133 along with some general comments earlier in the game.
                Completely forgot about the game thread. :-/ I was pretty exhausted by the time the hockey game started.
                Watch many of the RPI hockey games on our website, rpitv.org

Comment

Originally posted by REDaero91 View Post
                  In regards to open ice: halfway through the game I realized that it was really fun to watch because there was no trap involved, and the game was continually fast-paced and high energy. It will be interesting to see how we fare against that. Hopefully the league can move away from that style of play.
                  There's promise with Yale. I think we're likely to see the trap A LOT, though, because teams have figured out that, at least in the past, it works against us.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                    I still have mine. I suspect that a lot of people do.
                    I still have my slide rule.

Comment

Originally posted by jmhusker View Post
                      Every year it seems we try to read too much into these first few games. Last year, I recall everyone being excited after Acadia, hopeful after Minnesota St. and then pretty down after Ferris State. No one knew that Ferris was any good at the time. This year? Who knows where things will go but there are a couple of things I think we can reasonably expect. First, we are better than last year. I base this on our record in the 2nd 1/2 of last year and limited graduation losses. Second, Ferris State is not as good as they were last year. This is based on the CCHA polls which have them 4th or 5th. Clearly if they were as good as last year, having been in the NC game, they would have polled higher.

Given these two factors, I'll be disappointed if we don't do better than "not getting blown out". I think a split is a reasonable expectation and would be happy with that.
                      If the two girls on the catwalk have something to do, we will have done better than last year.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                        If the two girls on the catwalk have something to do, we will have done better than last year.
                        I will have to remember to check the catwalk on Friday since I have no idea what you are talking about.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I will have to remember to check the catwalk on Friday since I have no idea what you are talking about.
                          In the northeast corner, there are two ladies who stand up there and operate the goal horn.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                            In the northeast corner, there are two ladies who stand up there and operate the goal horn.
                            The seem to be aging fast. They were "girls" a few minutes ago.
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

The seem to be aging fast. They were "girls" a few minutes ago.
                              By the time you and I get there, they will have retired and their grandchildren will be running the horn.

Comment

BTW, I just thought of something... who will be posting in the score thread? We're all at the game or another event!

Comment

Working...
                                X