X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Hockey 2012-2013 Part 1: Pocket Protectors and Hockey Sticks

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
    No doubt we have things to work on. We were confused when FSU turned up their speed and intensity, but we hung in there. Also, we only lost one period over the weekend. I like that!!!
    And I know this goes back a ways, but when JL scored his second goal of the game, all I could think of was Mike Bossy. That one timer from the slot was his bread and butter. It was a great memory.
    As a Rangers fan, I try not to think of Mike Bossy.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Would like to see the JL, Haggs, Neal line move up to first on the depth chart providing more ice time. This also would give them the chance to play many minutes with offensive minded d-man Bailen, providing more scoring chances when were 5 on 5. BTW- Buebla is going to be a good one and I really like Miller. He's a great find.
      "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Interesting that three of the last four times that I have been to Troy, I returned my rental car to the same RPI fan at the airport. (Hi, if you are lurking.)
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

FDude, what lot did you sleep in Fri night?
          "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

from Julie Robenhymer at hockeybuzz.com; College Hockey Spotlight (RPI starts at the 11min. mark). I'm not the most computer savy nor do I have all the, "bells & whistles", took a long time to buffer....better luck to you....... http://blip.tv/hockeybuzztv/chs-episode-2-6398491
            Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Originally posted by RPI92 View Post
              Merriam had some big saves tonight. Give him some props and/or creds.
              Correct. He does do what some others do not-he ranges out of the crease more. Sometimes it costs him as he gets caught out there for makes a bad clearing decision. But more ofen than not he gets to the puck well behind the net and gets it to our defense to move up ice. I think he is much underrated-and i did see him play one fantastic game down in Princeton a couple years ago where I truly believe he just stole the game with an incredible first period performance when Princeton just came out and was all over us. I think we can compete with almost any NCAA team as far as depth in goal.
              Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                No doubt we have things to work on. We were confused when FSU turned up their speed and intensity, but we hung in there. Also, we only lost one period over the weekend. I like that!!!
                And I know this goes back a ways, but when JL scored his second goal of the game, all I could think of was Mike Bossy. That one timer from the slot was his bread and butter. It was a great memory.
                Ferris also figured out our break out play banging the puck off the boards into center ice pretty well and sent in 2-3 forecheckers which kept us hemmed in better. One other concern is our Defense ragging the puck and passing back into our zone so often. With the occassion miss hit or bad pass-we had a couple of turnovers and near turnovers which had me grabbing my head. I just felt our defense looked better friday and the passing was just more effective. You are so right on the JL goal-this was just a perfect bullet. We may have found our Chase Polacek if we can get the puck to him in the right position on the ice. There was a lot to like in these 2 games. But just some stuff to work on also. I was pleasantly surprised-and hope to say the same after next weekend.

Comment

From the I guess it does take a year category-in the first 2 games, all of our 5 goals have been scored by Sophomores. And a startling fact-in overall statistics-we have a total of 10 penalty minutes (by far the lowest of the ECAC teams that have played). This is certainly not the hatchet hockey I grew up with at RPI 40+ years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                    From the I guess it does take a year category-in the first 2 games, all of our 5 goals have been scored by Sophomores. And a startling fact-in overall statistics-we have a total of 10 penalty minutes (by far the lowest of the ECAC teams that have played). This is certainly not the hatchet hockey I grew up with at RPI 40+ years ago.
                    I was surprised how few penalties were called, especially in the first game.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                      There were at least two (and possibly three) occasions where we drew penalties after the whistle by being extremely disciplined -- holding our ground so that FSU players got their gloves up high, but not retaliating and actually getting the ref to call it just on FSU rather than making the bail-our matching minors call.

Comment

Originally posted by knsmith View Post
                        There were at least two (and possibly three) occasions where we drew penalties after the whistle by being extremely disciplined -- holding our ground so that FSU players got their gloves up high, but not retaliating and actually getting the ref to call it just on FSU rather than making the bail-our matching minors call.
                        KN-I am not sure if was just getting a good set of refs who did not make all the picky calls-or if we are just being very disciplined as you mentioned. I know Luke is going to get called any time he hits someone into left field when they make a big splat sound against the boards. That will happen whether he deserves it or not and whether his stick is high or not. It is just the price he pays for being big and strong and having red hair and wearing an RPI jersey.

Comment

a fun little interview done 2 years ago by 3 young reporters. Their questions were better than many of today's cliche ones (see Crash Davis for answers). Now I know why Rabbani chose Germany at least. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYaoH5ZiKpU
                          Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                            KN-I am not sure if was just getting a good set of refs who did not make all the picky calls-or if we are just being very disciplined as you mentioned. I know Luke is going to get called any time he hits someone into left field when they make a big splat sound against the boards. That will happen whether he deserves it or not and whether his stick is high or not. It is just the price he pays for being big and strong and having red hair and wearing an RPI jersey.
                            The call on Curadi was brutal. Not so much because it was a terrible call (it probably could've gone either way, but that was the only hit of that nature that they called all weekend...), but rather because one of the two referees was about 15 feet away, staring right at the play, yet the other referee was 40 yards away, at center ice, and threw his arm up without evening making eye contact with the primary (on that play) referee.

Comment

Originally posted by knsmith View Post
                              The call on Curadi was brutal. Not so much because it was a terrible call (it probably could've gone either way, but that was the only hit of that nature that they called all weekend...), but rather because one of the two referees was about 15 feet away, staring right at the play, yet the other referee was 40 yards away, at center ice, and threw his arm up without evening making eye contact with the primary (on that play) referee.
                              that seems to be the way games are called in the ecac....."looks like it's gonna be a penalty, so I'll make the call".

Comment

I know it's way, way, way to early but RPI is #14 in the latest KRACH Ratings (#12 in PairWise)....... http://www.uscho.com/rankings/krach/d-i-men/

Comment

Working...
                                X