This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2012-2013 Season Thread

Could make the Garden, also completely capable of tanking it in the first round and getting knocked out. Likely one and done in Manchester. The highlight of this season was the first two or so months.
    "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
    Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
    NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
    EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
    AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
    1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

Was really hoping for UNH to host Maine in the first round, but have sort of shifted to hoping for BU at UNH. Then at least one of the woefully underachieving second half teams would have to make to the Garden.
      UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
        Wow! I thought I was pessimistic....

That stated, I see us picking up 6 points in the final four games, and certainly making it to the Garden. I'm actually (maybe too optimistically) seeing a stretch goal of a HEA RS championship (assuming PC takes one from BC this weekend). Still think a #1 seed in the NCAA's is a bridge too far, since there are no TUC's left for us until the HEA tourney - so we'd probably have to win that.
        In summary, then, I'll go out on a limb.... 6 points in next 4 games, #2 seed in HEA tourney, loss in finals to BC in HEA tourney, #2 seed in Manch Vegas.

Fire away.
        Something tells me that the Friars take 3 or 4 points from BC this weekend. Check back with me on Monday next ............

Comment

Originally posted by cloud 9 View Post
          could make the garden, also completely capable of tanking it in the first round and getting knocked out. Likely one and done in manchester. The highlight of this season may have been the first two or so months, but it's too soon to say.
          fyp!
          We are usually convinced more easily by reasons we have found ourselves than by those which have occurred to others.
          ---Blaise Pascal

When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.
          --Richard Dawkins

UNH Wildcats: Winners, 20XX NCAA Men's Hockey National Championship

Comment

There really aren't any locks for the Garden this year. Every team in the top six has strengths and weaknesses. If you look at the various team threads, wild eyed optimists are few and far between. That said, I can see UNH winning it all, but only if DeSmith returns to early season form. He hasn't been bad the last few games, just not great. He was okay on Saturday, needs to be somewhat better when facing better offenses. I still think the defense is pretty good, the PK has been pretty solid all year. Now, if Umile can just settle on a top line combination, one that produces, they have a shot. Of course, they have a shot to get bounced in the first round, wait around for two weeks and lose the first game in Manchester too. I guess keep the expectations low and you won't be disappointed, eh?

Comment

I think Umile has to get Goumas and Downing on a line together. Goumas, Downing, Block. Thrush, Sorkin, Henrion. Speelman, Silengo, Willows. Correale, Pavelski, Gaudreault. Pending Silengo/Sorkin are healthy soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                ... but only if DeSmith returns to early season form.
                I'm of the opinion that DeSmith was on the money in early season interviews when he credited the team for playing great defense in front of him. He can be very good, but (IMO) is not a great goalie. UNH needs the great team defense to go anywhere, because DeSmith can't carry them alone and the offense can't be relied on to produce. For that matter, even in past season when the offense was very good, it could go stone cold in the post-season. This offense isn't that good.
                Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Saetia22 View Post
                  I think Umile has to get Goumas and Downing on a line together. Goumas, Downing, Block. Thrush, Sorkin, Henrion. Speelman, Silengo, Willows. Correale, Pavelski, Gaudreault. Pending Silengo/Sorkin are healthy soon.
                  No love for Burke?
                  Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

There really aren't any locks for the Garden this year. Every team in the top six has strengths and weaknesses. If you look at the various team threads, wild eyed optimists are few and far between. That said, I can see UNH winning it all, but only if DeSmith returns to early season form. He hasn't been bad the last few games, just not great. He was okay on Saturday, needs to be somewhat better when facing better offenses. I still think the defense is pretty good, the PK has been pretty solid all year. Now, if Umile can just settle on a top line combination, one that produces, they have a shot. Of course, they have a shot to get bounced in the first round, wait around for two weeks and lose the first game in Manchester too. I guess keep the expectations low and you won't be disappointed, eh?
                    As we used to say back in the day; "What he said!"

I think also what you said earlier as well that the hot team will probably emerge victorious but it's going to be a hard fought victory. As it should be. May the best team win!!
                    UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by Aerman View Post
                      No love for Burke?
                      Burke is likely done for the season due to lingering concussion issues.
                      UNH

Comment

I guess keep the expectations low and you won't be disappointed, eh?
                        While that generally would be a good policy, this year I disagree with this notion.

This year is THE YEAR! NCAA CHAMPS!
                        Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                        The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                          While that generally would be a good policy, this year I disagree with this notion.

This year is THE YEAR! NCAA CHAMPS!
                          Hey Nickpa, one of these years your otherwise provocative and groundless prediction will prove true. You will be hailed as a visionary. Pigs will fly. (OK, I'm lying about the last two.) But thank you for your interest in our program.
                          We are usually convinced more easily by reasons we have found ourselves than by those which have occurred to others.
                          ---Blaise Pascal

When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.
                          --Richard Dawkins

UNH Wildcats: Winners, 20XX NCAA Men's Hockey National Championship

Comment

Every Hockey East team has now played 23 conference games and (1) UNH has allowed the fewest goals and (2) Casey DeSmith has the best GAA, Save% and Win%.
                            Last edited by C-H-C; 02-26-2013, 08:57 PM.
                            The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Things just got a lot more interesting with Lowell's win at BC (4-2) and BU's win vs. Merrimack tonight (5-2).

Comment

unh just moved ahead of Boston coll. in power rankings now 4th , unh doesnt playing any tucs over next two weeks , if unh loses a game does there power go down , or do we have to wait till the playoffs or even hockey east quarters when they will play a tuc.

Comment

Working...
                                X