Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quinnipiac Bobcats '12-'13 - Go fourth and conquer!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Quinnipiac Bobcats '12-'13 - Go fourth and conquer!

For those that can't make it, here's the video feed for tomorrow's game.
    Quinnipiac Bobcats
    2023 National Champions
    ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
    ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
    East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions), 2024
    Northeast Regional:
    West Regional: 2015, 2021
    Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
    Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
      Neither team looked good today. Both showed significant signs of rust and UNO was especially tentative to start the game. Blais even used his timeout only 4:39 in. Hartzell was shaky to say the least and Stolarz looked lost at times. Each of them gave up some rather soft goals. Both teams would have a good shift followed by several mediocre ones.

Unfortunately, Santa didn't bring the Bobcats a powerplay for Christmas. They were terrible today on the man-advantage, including a full 4 minute double minor. In the end we put enough rubber in the twine to eek out the win. I think we'll see 2 completely different teams tomorrow.
      For sure.

UNO missed their plane and did not practice or skate, even, as result, since Christmas. Really showed in how the game started. They got to the arena for the first time to actually play. Yes, Stolarz did not look good. 2 really bad goals allowed by him.

Comment

I'm sure we'll see a different herd of Mavericks today, starting with Faulkner in net. They're probably going to be mean and hungry so we'd better be ready. I see no reason why Hartzell won't get the start again today but he will definitely need to have a better game. Defensively we need to tighten things up especially if Currie is out (he took a hard hit late in the 1st yesterday and didn't play over the last 2 periods). Should be another close game.

Go Q!
        Quinnipiac Bobcats
        2023 National Champions
        ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
        Northeast Regional:

Comment

Really poor effort today, considering what was on the line for UNO. After Quinnipiac tied the game you never had the sense that UNO was going to be a factor in the game any longer. Ridiculous number of penalties on both sides with Andrej Sustr of UNO getting the hat trick, roughing, slashing, and boarding. Jaycob Megna was on the ice for all three Quinnipiac goals. Very little offensive pressure exerted by UNO at any point of the game. Nothing very consistent. Faulkner had a reasonably decent game. We did not look like we came to play.

Quinnipiac's announcers apparently attended the same broadcasting school that the Gophers FOX Sports North announcers did. You know, the one where they consistently mispronounce opposing team's player names? Or, in this case, can't even call our team by it's correct name and out and out insult us by constantly referring to us as "Nebraska", which is about as an extreme an insult to our school as there could possibly be.

I have two words for this.

Lazy and unprofessional.

And for added measure, while I am at it, utterly thoughtless and clueless.

The Bobcats are a very fine, solid, senior laden team and it really showed. UNO has only 3 seniors and this weekend at least, UNO really did look like the team that was picked to finish 8th or 9th preseason in the WCHA. Unless Quinnipiac melts down, somehow, from here, they pretty much made the NCAA tournament this weekend, methinks. Good luck with the rest of your season. We have to now pick up the pieces and move on from here, which I think is going to be a challenge for Coach Blais who seems to have lost his touch since the World Juniors debacle.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
            Quinnipiac's announcers apparently attended the same broadcasting school that the Gophers FOX Sports North announcers did. You know, the one where they consistently mispronounce opposing team's player names? Or, in this case, can't even call our team by it's correct name and out and out insult us by constantly referring to us as "Nebraska", which is about as an extreme an insult to our school as there could possibly be.

Lazy and unprofessional.

Wow... a little harsh don't you think? Maybe your SID needs to do a better job getting the word out. Bill Schweizer is the consumate professional and I can't believe he'd do something like that if he knew better. Chris Kotsopoulos is an old-time hockey player and isn't graced with a full command of the English language so it's possible he might have mis-spoke at time or two. But to call either of them "lazy and unprofessional" or "utterly thoughtless and clueless" is simply unfair.

Whatever... we did what we needed to do on the ice and took the sweep. We played a whole lot better today than yesterday but still had some problem areas. Hartzell was much better and was likely the difference today.

The officiating was bad both ways but UNO did seem to get the brunt of it after the first. I don't think I've ever seen as many roughing calls (8 total) in a single game.

What surprised me most about Nebraska ( ) was that despite their size, they were not a very physical team. I thought for sure our smaller forwards would get pasted by the Mavericks big D-men but it never happened, likely a big reason they got swept.

We have to now pick up the pieces and move on from here, which I think is going to be a challenge for Coach Blais who seems to have lost his touch since the World Juniors debacle.
            I'm not sure what this means and I don't understand how one bad weekend would cause you to say this.
            Quinnipiac Bobcats
            2023 National Champions
            Northeast Regional:

Comment

Really poor effort today, considering what was on the line for UNO. After Quinnipiac tied the game you never had the sense that UNO was going to be a factor in the game any longer. Ridiculous number of penalties on both sides with Andrej Sustr of UNO getting the hat trick, roughing, slashing, and boarding. Jaycob Megna was on the ice for all three Quinnipiac goals. Very little offensive pressure exerted by UNO at any point of the game. Nothing very consistent. Faulkner had a reasonably decent game. We did not look like we came to play.

Lazy and unprofessional.

The Bobcats are a very fine, solid, senior laden team and it really showed. UNO has only 3 seniors and this weekend at least, UNO really did look like the team that was picked to finish 8th or 9th preseason in the WCHA. Unless Quinnipiac melts down, somehow, from here, they pretty much made the NCAA tournament this weekend, methinks. Good luck with the rest of your season. We have to now pick up the pieces and move on from here, which I think is going to be a challenge for Coach Blais who seems to have lost his touch since the World Juniors debacle.
              Wow. Bitter much.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
                Wow... a little harsh don't you think? Maybe your SID needs to do a better job getting the word out. Bill Schweizer is the consumate professional and I can't believe he'd do something like that if he knew better. Chris Kotsopoulos is an old-time hockey player and isn't graced with a full command of the English language so it's possible he might have mis-spoke at time or two. But to call either of them "lazy and unprofessional" or "utterly thoughtless and clueless" is simply unfair.

Whatever... we did what we needed to do on the ice and took the sweep. We played a whole lot better today than yesterday but still had some problem areas. Hartzell was much better and was likely the difference today.

The officiating was bad both ways but UNO did seem to get the brunt of it after the first. I don't think I've ever seen as many roughing calls (8 total) in a single game.

What surprised me most about Nebraska ( ) was that despite their size, they were not a very physical team. I thought for sure our smaller forwards would get pasted by the Mavericks big D-men but it never happened, likely a big reason they got swept.

I'm not sure what this means and I don't understand how one bad weekend would cause you to say this.
                Let me be clear. My anger about this is not directed in any way at Bobcat fans. And no, I don't think I am being harsh at all.

Do you think Denver fans would appreciate being referred to as "Colorado"? How do you think Michigan State fans would feel be referred to as "Michigan"? Or Western Michigan, Northern Michigan or Michigan Tech being referred to as "Michigan"? Or Ohio State being referred to as "Ohio"? I mean, I can go on and on here. That's just the tip of the iceberg.

Finally, how would Quinnipiac fans feel about being referred to as "Connecticut" by our announcers? I bet you wouldn't like it all.

Your announcers are so stupid that they need our SID to explain to them what the name of our school is? They think so little of their job, their profession, and their own personal professionalism that they would not do something that is almost literally right out of a Broadcast Journalism 101 class and make sure they knew how beforehand to pronounce the name of any player that might be the least little bit unsure of? You're kidding, right? You're making my "these guys are complete morons" argument for me there. These guys referred to us as "Nebraska" time after time after time. Dozens of times. So much so that Twitter was clogged with UNO fans complaining about it as I watched the online video feed which had the Bobcat Twitter feed on the same page. The game commentary thread in our own team forum has posts by indignant UNO fans about this. It sure isn't just me.

If this isn't "lazy and unprofessional" or "thoughtless and clueless" then please tell me what it is, then? Because I can't think of any more apropos description for it.

I literally cannot think of anything more disrespectful that your announcers could do besides calling our school by the name of another school entirely! Really, I can't. You forum name has Mark in it. If your name is really Mark, how would you like it if I called you Mike, not once, but dozens of times despite knowing that that really isn't your name?

That really frosted me and other UNO fans that heard it. There are a lot of UNO fans around here that hate Nebraska. It's another school entirely. O.K., my rant about this is now officially over.

Here's the Omaha World Herald write-up on today's game:

http://www.omaha.com/article/2012123...ing-quinnipiac

Coach Blais is pushing the envelope here in his remarks about the officiating. He thought we played better today than we did yesterday. I didn't think we were real physical, either, FWIW. But, your announcers sure did and said so a lot, particularly during the 3rd period of the game today. They talked about it quite a bit.

My concerns about our season are that we are just 2-5 since winning 7 straight and have lost 3 of the last 4. Plus, the toughest part of our conference schedule is upcoming and we are on the road quite a bit with only 8 home games remaining.

UNO's play has been kinda spotty ever since Coach Blais coached the World Juniors last season and the performance there by that team and the performance by UNO since that tourney have been eerily similar since. That's what I was getting at.

Good luck to you guys for the rest of the season. I think you guys are going to be in the dance, as I said, previously, in the thread.

Comment

Let me be clear. My anger about this is not directed in any way at Bobcat fans. And no, I don't think I am being harsh at all.

Do you think Denver fans would appreciate being referred to as "Colorado"? How do you think Michigan State fans would feel be referred to as "Michigan"? Or Western Michigan, Northern Michigan or Michigan Tech being referred to as "Michigan"? Or Ohio State being referred to as "Ohio"? I mean, I can go on and on here. That's just the tip of the iceberg.

Finally, how would Quinnipiac fans feel about being referred to as "Connecticut" by our announcers? I bet you wouldn't like it all.

Your announcers are so stupid that they need our SID to explain to them what the name of our school is? They think so little of their job, their profession, and their own personal professionalism that they would not do something that is almost literally right out of a Broadcast Journalism 101 class and make sure they knew how beforehand to pronounce the name of any player that might be the least little bit unsure of? You're kidding, right? You're making my "these guys are complete morons" argument for me there. These guys referred to us as "Nebraska" time after time after time. Dozens of times. So much so that Twitter was clogged with UNO fans complaining about it as I watched the online video feed which had the Bobcat Twitter feed on the same page. The game commentary thread in our own team forum has posts by indignant UNO fans about this. It sure isn't just me.

If this isn't "lazy and unprofessional" or "thoughtless and clueless" then please tell me what it is, then? Because I can't think of any more apropos description for it.

I literally cannot think of anything more disrespectful that your announcers could do besides calling our school by the name of another school entirely! Really, I can't. You forum name has Mark in it. If your name is really Mark, how would you like it if I called you Mike, not once, but dozens of times despite knowing that that really isn't your name?

That really frosted me and other UNO fans that heard it. There are a lot of UNO fans around here that hate Nebraska. It's another school entirely. O.K., my rant about this is now officially over.

Coach Blais is pushing the envelope here in his remarks about the officiating. He thought we played better today than we did yesterday. I didn't think we were real physical, either, FWIW. But, your announcers sure did and said so a lot, particularly during the 3rd period of the game today. They talked about it quite a bit.

My concerns about our season are that we are just 2-5 since winning 7 straight and have lost 3 of the last 4. Plus, the toughest part of our conference schedule is upcoming and we are on the road quite a bit with only 8 home games remaining.

UNO's play has been kinda spotty ever since Coach Blais coached the World Juniors last season and the performance there by that team and the performance by UNO since that tourney have been eerily similar since. That's what I was getting at.

Good luck to you guys for the rest of the season. I think you guys are going to be in the dance, as I said, previously, in the thread.
                  http://www.omavs.com/documents/2012/...12.pdf?id=3246

If this is such a big deal, then maybe your SID should put that information in your game notes. When I was a student at QU, I broadcasted tons of games, and saw many times in the notes instructions on what the school should and should not be called. Game notes are the primary research vehicle for a broadcaster getting ready for a broadcast, so if this vital information isn't in there, then it becomes difficult for the announcers (and for the opponent's beat writers, mind you).

Bill Schweizer is a nationally-recognized announcer. His biography is better than almost any broadcaster in D-I college hockey, and I will put him up against any college radio announcer in the country.

As for pronounciations, you apparently have never heard of regional dialects.

Chris Kotsopolous is a former NHL'er, and does not do as much research or prep for these games. He, without question, is nowhere near as polished as Schweizer is. If Kotsy made that mistake, that's a shame. But that kind of information should have a spot in your game notes if it's so darn important.

In fact, it's not even in the media guide, as far as I can find. So... if that information is not readily available, how exactly is a broadcaster supposed to find it out? Especially when your hockey SID is too busy announcing the game to deal with his primary duties: Assisting the media.
                  Last edited by ZYanksRule; 12-30-2012, 09:28 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Red Cows View Post

I think your issue is only related to your school, there is some inferiority complex that you arent the real Nebraska. First of all, is says UNO on your uniforms, the N standing for Nebraska. Nowhere on the Quinnipiac sweater does it say Connecticut.It isnt that much of a stretch to call UNO, Nebraska. Second, there is no chance of confusing UNO with any other division 1 program in the state, unlike Michigan or Minnesota. Third, i know UNO is trying hard to distiguish itself as Omaha, why?. Do you see Michigan trying to brand themselves as Ann Arbor? Or Minni trying to brand themselves as Twin Cities? Take some pride in identifying your team as your state's team, just like Maine-Orono.

Comment

I've heard Quinnipiac butchered so badly that I just sat back and laughed. Not to mention some of the hack jobs on players names. But I've never seen people get their panties in such a twist over it. I mean, really, aren't there more important things to worry about? Yeah, I get the whole pride aspect, but it's really not the end of the world.

To be honest, I watched some of the archive video of today's game. During the entire 1st period and about 8 minutes of the 2nd, I only recall hearing "Nebraska" once. Maybe it got worse in the last half of the game but I can't say. As for player names, I can't say for certain that there were any blatant mispronounciations... then again, I really wouldn't know right from wrong either.

Your announcers are so stupid that they need our SID to explain to them what the name of our school is? They think so little of their job, their profession, and their own personal professionalism that they would not do something that is almost literally right out of a Broadcast Journalism 101 class and make sure they knew how beforehand to pronounce the name of any player that might be the least little bit unsure of? You're kidding, right?
                      Look, I understand your frustration but can assure you that Bill Schweizer is a consumate professional. I've personally seen him pouring over rosters pre-game. To call him "lazy" is plain wrong. Any mistakes he might have made during the broadcast surely weren't intentional. And yes, you're making it sound like it was some vendetta against your team and school. That, my friend, is "thoughtless and clueless", don't you think?

Let me ask you this: if you had been on the other side of the broom this weekend, would this have even been an issue?

Good luck to you guys for the rest of the season.
                      Thank you. And best of luck to the University of Nebraska-Omaha Mavericks the rest of the way as well.
                      Quinnipiac Bobcats
                      2023 National Champions
                      Northeast Regional:

Comment

If this isn't "lazy and unprofessional" or "thoughtless and clueless"...
                        Seems those words can be equally applied to your SID based on comments in your own forum.

Of course, if our SID weren't busy being the "voice of the Mavericks," he'd have corrected that ... YESTERDAY!
                        Not sure all the tweets about name pronunciation and "we're not Nebraska" is productive ... "reads" like a lot of whining. Probably better to put the effort in pressuring our AD and SID to do a better job, and don't forget - if I (other team's announcers) wanted to spin you up you've just told me how to do it.
                        You realize our Sports Information Director (that's HIS job, not the athletic director's job) is too busy with his own broadcast to correct any media errors, right?

Nevermind that it's the primary function of his job description to liaison with the media.
                        I obviously do not, but again my comments are directed at the tweters not the SID because I can live with announcers butchering names and not always calling us by a name I like.
                        Quinnipiac Bobcats
                        2023 National Champions
                        Northeast Regional:

Comment

Originally posted by ZYanksRule View Post
                          http://www.omavs.com/documents/2012/...12.pdf?id=3246

If this is such a big deal, then maybe your SID should put that information in your game notes. When I was a student at QU, I broadcasted tons of games, and saw many times in the notes instructions on what the school should and should not be called. Game notes are the primary research vehicle for a broadcaster getting ready for a broadcast, so if this vital information isn't in there, then it becomes difficult for the announcers (and for the opponent's beat writers, mind you).

Bill Schweizer is a nationally-recognized announcer. His biography is better than almost any broadcaster in D-I college hockey, and I will put him up against any college radio announcer in the country.

As for pronounciations, you apparently have never heard of regional dialects.

Chris Kotsopolous is a former NHL'er, and does not do as much research or prep for these games. He, without question, is nowhere near as polished as Schweizer is. If Kotsy made that mistake, that's a shame. But that kind of information should have a spot in your game notes if it's so darn important.

In fact, it's not even in the media guide, as far as I can find. So... if that information is not readily available, how exactly is a broadcaster supposed to find it out? Especially when your hockey SID is too busy announcing the game to deal with his primary duties: Assisting the media.
                          What information in the game notes?

The name of our school? What possible ambiguity can there be about that? Why do your announcers, who I can only surmise must be intellectually challenged, need our SID to explain to them that the University of Nebraska and UNO are two entirely different schools and that the University of Nebraska, something even a 10 year old football fan knows, is referred to, nationally, as Nebraska. I have never heard another team's announcer, ever, in the 15 year history of our program refer to us as Nebraska, consistently, many times over the course of a game or games. Has it happened? Sure. Of course. Either as a slip of the tongue or in the heat of the moment since saying the University of Nebraska at Omaha is a mouthful in a fast paced game like hockey. We like "UNO", or, as Trev Alberts is trying to rebrand us, "Omaha":

http://omaha.com/article/20120929/MA...avs-like-omaha

The whole regional dialect thing I get. That said, I don't care what is on Bill Schweizer's resume'. The fact remains, he called us Nebraska dozens of times. Your apologist argument for him sounds for all the world like the blathering of the mother of an accused murderer, "But, he's really a nice boy". Yeah, well, he did it.

You point about Dave Ahlers, our SID and play by play man is spot on and is a sore subject around here. I can't argue with that one. Suffice to say that there is a thread in our own team's forum about ways to circumvent having to listen to him:

http://www.mavpuck.com/mpboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9086

Dave is a very nice guy.......and that is about as far as I am prepared to take it.

Done beating on this horse.

Again, good luck the rest of the way for you guys

Comment

A whole lotta love from the New Haven Register!
                            Quinnipiac Bobcats
                            2023 National Champions
                            Northeast Regional:

Comment

I woulda suffered cardiac arrest five years ago if I got so worked up every time an announcer (or radio personality in the Twin Cities) BUTCHERED Quinnipiac's name beyond verbal recognition. Wow.

Comment

I made the trip down yesterday to see the game - after we lunched at the Greenwood.... The 2nd period was about as good a period of hockey as you're ever going to watch. Two skilled teams with lots of offense at either end. Very impressed with Q's D corp...they were impenetrable yesterday. When Q took a bad penalty at about the 10 min. mark in the 3rd, I was fully expecting "Nebraska" to bury one and tighten the game up considerably. The Huskers even pulled their goalie for an extra attacker, but Q and Hartzel withstood the barage. Very impressed with his play...the kid's a blanket. He's gotta be in the Hobey discussion, if he can sustain his level of play. LOTS of scouts there yesterday, including Anaheim and others . Q local sitting near us said Mark Messier was at Saturday's game along with Bruins, Philly and other scouts.
                                ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Working...
                                X