Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Western Michigan Hockey 2012-2013--can we top last year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Western Michigan Hockey 2012-2013--can we top last year?

Discuss. Broncos are picked 2nd by the media and 3rd by the coaches. It's the last season for the CCHA. They're participating in the Great Lakes Invitational at Comerica Park over the holidays. Exhibition tomorrow night, 10/6 versus Western Ontario. Are you ready for some hockey?

Schedule:

Sat, Oct 06 Western Ontario Kalamazoo, Mich. 7:05 p.m.
    Fri, Oct 12 St. Lawrence Kalamazoo, Mich. 7:05 p.m.
    Sat, Oct 13 St. Lawrence Kalamazoo, Mich. 7:05 p.m.
    Fri, Oct 19 Canisius Kalamazoo, Mich. 7:05 p.m.
    Sat, Oct 20 Canisius Kalamazoo, Mich. 7:05 p.m.
    Fri, Nov 02 Notre Dame * South Bend, Ind. 7:35 p.m.
    Sun, Nov 04 Notre Dame * South Bend, Ind. 5:05 p.m.
    Fri, Nov 09 Bowling Green * Kalamazoo, Mich. 7:05 p.m.
    Sat, Nov 10 Bowling Green * Bowling Green, Ohio 7:35 p.m.
    Fri, Nov 16 Alaska * Fairbanks, Alaska 11:35 p.m.
    Sat, Nov 17 Alaska * Fairbanks, Alaska 11:35 p.m.
    Fri, Nov 30 Northern Michigan * Kalamazoo, Mich. 7:05 p.m.
    Sat, Dec 01 Northern Michigan * Kalamazoo, Mich. 7:05 p.m.
    Fri, Dec 07 Ferris State * Kalamazoo, Mich. 7:05 p.m.
    Sat, Dec 08 Ferris State * Kalamazoo, Mich. 7:05 p.m.
    Fri, Dec 14 Michigan * Ann Arbor, Mich. 7:35 p.m.
    Sat, Dec 15 Michigan * Ann Arbor, Mich. 7:35 p.m.
    Great Lakes Invitational
    Thu, Dec 27 Michigan State Detroit, Mich. (Comerica Park) 3:35 p.m.
    Sat, Dec 29 Michigan/Michigan Tech Detroit, Mich. (Comerica Park) TBA
    Fri, Jan 04 Bemidji State Bemidji, Minn. 8:37 p.m.
    Sat, Jan 05 Bemidji State Bemidji, Minn. 8:07 p.m.
    Fri, Jan 11 Lake Superior State * Kalamazoo, Mich. 7:05 p.m.
    Sat, Jan 12 Lake Superior State * Kalamazoo, Mich. 7:05 p.m.
    Fri, Jan 18 Bowling Green * Bowling Green, Ohio 7:05 p.m.
    Sat, Jan 19 Bowling Green * Kalamazoo, Mich. 7:05 p.m.
    Fri, Jan 25 Michigan * Kalamazoo, Mich. 7:05 p.m.
    Sat, Jan 26 Michigan * Kalamazoo, Mich. 7:35 p.m.
    Fri, Feb 01 Ferris State * Big Rapids, Mich. 7:05 p.m.
    Sat, Feb 02 Ferris State * Big Rapids, Mich. 7:05 p.m.
    Fri, Feb 08 Miami * Kalamazoo, Mich. 7:05 p.m.
    Sat, Feb 09 Miami * Kalamazoo, Mich. 7:05 p.m.
    Fri, Feb 15 Ohio State * Columbus, Ohio 7:05 p.m.
    Sat, Feb 16 Ohio State * Columbus, Ohio 7:05 p.m.
    Fri, Feb 22 Notre Dame * Kalamazoo, Mich. 7:35 p.m.
    Sat, Feb 23 Notre Dame * Kalamazoo, Mich. 7:05 p.m.
    Fri, Mar 01 Michigan State * East Lansing, Mich. 7:05 p.m.
    Sat, Mar 02 Michigan State * East Lansing, Mich. 7:05 p.m.
    CCHA Playoffs - First Round
    Fri, Mar 08 TBA Campus Sites TBA
    CCHA Playoffs - Second Round
    Fri, Mar 15 TBA Campus Sites TBA
    CCHA Semifinals/Finals
    Fri, Mar 22 TBA Detroit, Mich. (Joe Louis Arena) TBA
    * Conference Games
    Originally posted by Jack Layton's last words to Canada
    My friends, hope is better than anger, love is better than fear, optimism is better than despair. So let us be Hopeful, Loving, and Optimistic, and we'll change the world.

Re: Western Michigan Hockey 2012-2013--can we top last year?

I think the media has them underrated. Can't think of a more balanced team in the conference with grit and intangibles. Michigan, Notre Dame and Ferris have a good core of returning players also, but not like the Broncos. I think they could challenge for an overall #1 regional seed. Every season is different- but based on the progression this team has shown the last two seasons, I think it is possible. The only thing I think the media has pointed out is that their incoming freshmen class is not on par with Michigan, Notre Dame or Miami. That could have played into their rankings.

Oh, and if the NHL doesn't get this lockout settled soon, the GLI will be back at JLA with the dates TBD.

Comment

Bringing back 5 of the 6 starting D-men is big. I think the biggest issue will be to continue to find secondary scoring behind Balisy/Berschback/Walters. In addition to the five freshmen, we've got a transfer in Mike Cichy from North Dakota with two years left. Maybe he'll add a little pop here and there. He went 2-3-5 and 3-4-7 in 23 and 25 games in Grand Forks.
      "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
        Bringing back 5 of the 6 starting D-men is big. I think the biggest issue will be to continue to find secondary scoring behind Balisy/Berschback/Walters. In addition to the five freshmen, we've got a transfer in Mike Cichy from North Dakota with two years left. Maybe he'll add a little pop here and there. He went 2-3-5 and 3-4-7 in 23 and 25 games in Grand Forks.
        Well, I also think the other factor is Slubowski/Pisinelli. Teams that return good goaltending tend to avoid early season issues. Notre Dame has it, Ferris has it most likely with Motte, as does LSSU, BG and MSU. Michigan, Miami and NMU are all breaking in new/freshmen goaltenders. Alaska and OSU have senior back-ups at least in line to compete for the job.

Comment

I tend to agree with this post. I think Western has the best blueline in the country, one of the best goaltenders in the country, and an excellent coach. They lack a little scoring punch, but they are more than capable of putting up 3.25-3.50 gpg numbers this season. Couple that with what could be a less than 2.00 gaa, and I think Western has a tremendous season. Of course, I picked them to win the National title (and CCHA regular season title this season, so I am slightly biased.

As for Cichy, he certainly has some raw skill, and perhaps the year off helped him develop mentally. While he was never a every-game player for the Sioux, that was largely due to the fact that North Dakota was very strong in the two seasons that Cichy wore the Kelly Green and White. I certainly don't expect huge numbers from him, but I believe he is capable of being a solid forward, and put up numbers somewhere along the lines of 8-12 goals and 10-15 assists (depending on PP time).

Anyway, just my take. Good luck to the Broncos this year, and I'm sure they'll make some noise throughout the season.
          North Dakota
          National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
            Well, I also think the other factor is Slubowski/Pisinelli. Teams that return good goaltending tend to avoid early season issues. Notre Dame has it, Ferris has it most likely with Motte, as does LSSU, BG and MSU. Michigan, Miami and NMU are all breaking in new/freshmen goaltenders. Alaska and OSU have senior back-ups at least in line to compete for the job.
            Hafner looks like he might push Pisinelli for the backup job and could push Slubowski if he has a sophomore slump. Could be quite interesting.
            B2
            It will only get better!

Comment

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/ey...anner-vanishes

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/ey...anner-returned

Someone stole the CCHA champs banner, Witkowski turns into Liam Neeson, banner is returned.
              "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Comment

As the thread title asks, "Can we top last year?"

God, I hope so! That would make me really, really happy!

Comment

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/ey...anner-vanishes

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/ey...anner-returned

Someone stole the CCHA champs banner, Witkowski turns into Liam Neeson, banner is returned.
                  They're so rare to find in kalamazoo I guess the guy wanted a piece of history. It might be another 26 years before they win anything.
                  ---
                  National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
                  Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
                  19 Conference Championships
                  10 Conference Tournament Championships
                  2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
                    NMU has Coreau - a returning goalie that played a lot and played well

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                      I tend to agree with this post. I think Western has the best blueline in the country, one of the best goaltenders in the country, and an excellent coach. They lack a little scoring punch, but they are more than capable of putting up 3.25-3.50 gpg numbers this season. Couple that with what could be a less than 2.00 gaa, and I think Western has a tremendous season. Of course, I picked them to win the National title (and CCHA regular season title this season, so I am slightly biased.

As for Cichy, he certainly has some raw skill, and perhaps the year off helped him develop mentally. While he was never a every-game player for the Sioux, that was largely due to the fact that North Dakota was very strong in the two seasons that Cichy wore the Kelly Green and White. I certainly don't expect huge numbers from him, but I believe he is capable of being a solid forward, and put up numbers somewhere along the lines of 8-12 goals and 10-15 assists (depending on PP time).

Anyway, just my take. Good luck to the Broncos this year, and I'm sure they'll make some noise throughout the season.
                      I think Cichy is the wild card with this team. If we don't find the secondary scoring, we're going to struggle to become an elite team this year.

Here is a quote that you might find interesting FS23, from the Kalamazoo Gazette beat writer:
                      WMU coach Andy Murray said Cichy admitted he entered his collegiate career out of shape and a bit under-motivated after a stellar career at the junior hockey level. Cichy was able to practice with the Broncos last year and Murray said the coaching and training staff put Cichy, a seventh-round draft pick by the Montreal Canadiens in the 2009 NHL Entry Draft, through rigorous workouts and as a result he entered this season in the best shape of his life.
                      I'm in agreement with a lot of you here. I think WMU has one of the best defenses/goalies in the country and that alone will win them a fair share of games. But until we find more scoring, I don't see us making it past the first weekend of the NCAA's.

Can't wait until Friday!

#BeatStLawrence
                      Western Michigan University Bronco Hockey
                      Home of the Lawson Lunatics

Comment

Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
                        They're so rare to find in kalamazoo I guess the guy wanted a piece of history. It might be another 26 years before they win anything.
                        Unless we get lucky and draw Michigan again at the Joe.
                        B2
                        It will only get better!

Comment

With Mike Leone and Shane Berschbach out, all of the freshman played this weekend. For me, one had problems, Kenny Morrison, and one stood out, Nolan LaPorte. Frank Slubowski has not looked sharp so far this season and must step it up if we are to go very far this year.
                          B2
                          It will only get better!

Comment

I think they were trying to just slot Morrison into Tennyson's role, and they really should give more thought to sheltering the one freshman D-man in the lineup instead, at least until he finds his feet.

Comment

I think they were trying to just slot Morrison into Tennyson's role, and they really should give more thought to sheltering the one freshman D-man in the lineup instead, at least until he finds his feet.
                              Agreed.
                              B2
                              It will only get better!

Comment

Working...
                              X