• ideal DI hockey player size

From the USCHO "top ten" forwards to watch:
    #10 - "small guy"
    #9 - "just 5-foot-8 and weighs just 160 pounds"
    #7 - "although smallish (5-foot-9, 170 pounds)"
    #6 - "he is undersized"
    #4 - "the little guy"
    #3 - "just 5-foot-6 and 165 pounds"

Apparently 60% of the best forwards in DI hockey are remarkably small, since the article remarks they are small. Is this because:

1.) the author favors smaller players?
    2.) talented average size and big players favor major juniors?
    3.) the rules and/or style of play in DI hockey favor smaller players?
    4) DI concession stands sell lo-cal nachos?

Re: ideal DI hockey player size

http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...apitalization/
    Originally posted by SCSU Euro
    What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know?" And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.
      Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
      The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Osorojo View Post
        #10 - "small guy"
        #6 - "he is undersized"
        #4 - "the little guy"

Apparently 60% of the best forwards in DI hockey are remarkably small, since the article remarks they are small. Is this because:

Finally, an explanation--it's size issues with you.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
          Finally, an explanation--it's size issues with you.
          Nope - but the remarkably small size of the "best" DI forwards obviously IS a reasonable issue for consideration - except if your goal is insult. I look forward to your further input.

Comment

#10 - "small guy"
            #6 - "he is undersized"
            #4 - "the little guy"

Are you just now catching on to this?
            @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
            On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
            High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

dude, turn the comptuer off and go outside. you spend way too much time worrying about what other people write, in a very pointless way.

Well, unless you are going to attempt to engineer hockey player size. I'm sure that would make a good movie.

Comment

You're starting to make boot_walt_kyle look like a decent poster.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                  dude, turn the comptuer off and go outside. you spend way too much time worrying about what other people write, in a very pointless way.

Well, unless you are going to attempt to engineer hockey player size. I'm sure that would make a good movie.
                  I'm more interested in causes than effects - at least at a distance. If small size is truly an advantage for DI hockey forwards - as suggested by the USCHO article, there must be a cause for this advantage. Small size certainly is not an advantage for professional hockey players or professional recruits. Aren't you just a bit curious about this distinction and its underlying cause, or are you simply in disagreement with the USCHO "best forwards" selection? If so, why not propose your own list of best forwards, one presumably not dominated by small players? Otherwise, your belittling of my curiosity does not recommend your opinions.

Comment

I'm more interested in causes than effects - at least at a distance. If small size is truly an advantage for DI hockey forwards - as suggested by the USCHO article, there must be a cause for this advantage. Small size certainly is not an advantage for professional hockey players or professional recruits. Aren't you just a bit curious about this distinction and its underlying cause, or are you simply in disagreement with the USCHO "best forwards" selection? If so, why not propose your own list of best forwards, one presumably not dominated by small players? Otherwise, your belittling of my curiosity does not recommend your opinions.
                    Smaller players aren't prototypical NHL size, so they stick around longer, become more experienced, and result in less frequent turnover.
                    @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                    On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                    High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

It's a valid question. I'm sorry people have to be rude, but I think college hockey in today's age has a style of play that is more conducive to the smaller sized athletes. It could partially be because of head injury rules and could also have to do with the lack of fighting that takes place. Either way, it is interesting to see these smaller sized players do well. It's also why you see smaller players winning the Hobey, but not being able to make it in the NHL.
                      "In heaven there is no beer. NO BEER! That's why we drink it here. RIGHT HERE!"

Comment

Dude, take it here: http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...ds-for-2012-13

Comment

I'm curious as to how you read all that into the article.
                          My best guess... the average D-1 hockey forward is somewhere above the 5'7" - 5'9" players listed, so that makes them smaller.
                          The author lists Bjugstad as 'big' in the same article... possibly meaning he's bigger than the average D-1 forward?
                          Instead of turning this into rocket science, how about you respond to the author and ask what he meant. Or, go figure out the average size of a D-1 forward and answer your own questions.
                          'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

I don't see how it matters. Size may be an issue, but in the time I've watched college hockey, talent and will have far more impact on all positions. And you pretend to have some kind of interest in college hockey, it seems safe that you would have seen some actual games using different players. Like where Tiny little goalies are as good as monsters, or little forwards are as tough as big defensemen, big guys can be fast, little guys can be slow. etc etc etc.

There's no ideal size in the time I've been watching hockey. The fact that you think there's enough of a debate that you need to start a pointless thread on it explains that you still don't know much about hockey.

And that it was my mistake that your "obsession without paying attention" is worthy of being read.

Comment

#10 - "small guy"
                              #6 - "he is undersized"
                              #4 - "the little guy"

Or, as their girlfriends like to say: they're a good size.
                              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Working...
                              X