Originally posted by Osorojo View Post
    From the USCHO "top ten" forwards to watch:
    #10 - "small guy"
    #9 - "just 5-foot-8 and weighs just 160 pounds"
    #7 - "although smallish (5-foot-9, 170 pounds)"
    #6 - "he is undersized"
    #4 - "the little guy"
    #3 - "just 5-foot-6 and 165 pounds"

Apparently 60% of the best forwards in DI hockey are remarkably small, since the article remarks they are small. Is this because:

1.) the author favors smaller players?
    2.) talented average size and big players favor major juniors?
    3.) the rules and/or style of play in DI hockey favor smaller players?
    4) DI concession stands sell lo-cal nachos?
    You are taking one article for one season and then extrapolating from it? You are committing a cardinal sin, generalizing from a single example. how do you know that it isn't just an anomolous result?

"gee, I flipped this coin ten times and it came up heads 8 times, the coin must be weighted somehow." it's called specious reasoning. (well, there are a few other things that one might call it too....)
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Re: ideal DI hockey player size

The big guys play pro
      XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
      Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
        Smaller players aren't prototypical NHL size, so they stick around longer, become more experienced, and result in less frequent turnover.
        This is the closest thing to what I would guess the reason is.
        #OneKnight

Comment

The only opinions mentioned in this thread's starter were those of USCHO, not me. The article makes specific mention of the size of nine of the ten players it describes, six of them described as "small" and only one as large ("jumbo"). USCHO obviously believes player size is a significant fact. If you disagree with any of these opinions you should address the USCHO moderator rather than kvetch about this thread or me.
          I tried to pose a substantive question. If you have no answer or think it's a dumb question why in blazes do you respond?

Comment

I think Bear Red's still getting over the shock that good players don't go to Cornell.

Comment

The only opinions mentioned in this thread's starter were those of USCHO, not me. The article makes specific mention of the size of nine of the ten players it describes, six of them described as "small" and only one as large ("jumbo". USCHO obviously believes player size is a significant fact. If you disagree with any of these opinions you should address the USCHO moderator rather than kvetch about this thread or me.
              I tried to pose a substantive question. If you have no answer or think it's a dumb question why in blazes do you respond?
              Because we think it's dumb you have to create another thread for it, regardless of the title of it, when one already exists. See Post #12 for the thread.

Comment

Apparently 60% of the best forwards in DI hockey are remarkably small, since the article remarks they are small. Is this because:

The only opinions mentioned in this thread's starter were those of USCHO, not me. The article makes specific mention of the size of nine of the ten players it describes, six of them described as "small" and only one as large ("jumbo"). USCHO obviously believes player size is a significant fact. If you disagree with any of these opinions you should address the USCHO moderator rather than kvetch about this thread or me.
                You posed 4 questions, not one. Each question implies your unsubstantive opinion.
                Why do you lie?

Here's another fact finding search for you. After you've figured out the average size of a D-1 hockey forward, total up the number of forwards playing D-1 hockey. You'll probably find the percent of forwards considered 'small' to be significantly less than 60%.
                'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
                  You posed 4 questions, not one. Each question implies your unsubstantive opinion.
                  Why do you lie?

Here's another fact finding search for you. After you've figured out the average size of a D-1 hockey forward, total up the number of forwards playing D-1 hockey. You'll probably find the percent of forwards considered 'small' to be significantly less than 60%.
                  I read the article to mean small by NHL standards, not compared to the average size of an NCAA forward. Is this not how others are interpreting it?

The average NHLer is 73.33" (6' 1 1/3") tall, weighs 204.42 lbs, and is 27.36 years old.
                  Sizing Up NHL by Height, Weight, and Age

Don Lucia: For all of us, it's a new age. We're trying to find a mix. We have to try to find kids who can go play a couple years of juniors that won't be drafted. (Boston College) is the smartest of all. They have a bunch of smaller kids that are great college players. The trick is not losing payers. When BU won, they didn't lose one player. BC this year had all their guys. The trick is to recruit talented players who don't leave. What's the balancing act?
                  Don Lucia Interview
                  Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 10-03-2012, 04:41 PM.
                  @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                  On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                  High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

#10 - "small guy"
                    #6 - "he is undersized"
                    #4 - "the little guy"

Big guys coast and rely on their brawn, smaller guys rely on their heart and their brains.

Comment

#10 - "small guy"
                      #6 - "he is undersized"
                      #4 - "the little guy"
                      #10 - “He’s pretty scrappy,” said Flynn, who is now a Buffalo Sabres prospect. “For a small guy he’s very tough." That was the opinion of his former teammate, not USCHO.

#9 - "Even though he stands just 5-foot-8 and weighs just 160 pounds, Czarnik proved last year as a Miami freshman to be quite a handful." Written by the author.

#7 - "Although smallish (5-foot-9, 170 pounds), Gensler is valued as much for his heady play..." Written by the author.

#6 - “Kyle is a very impressive hockey player,” St. Lawrence coach Greg Carvel said. “He has NHL ability. He is undersized, but with his hockey ability and hockey sense, he’s the complete package." Coach's quote, not USCHO.

#4 - "There always seems to a big spot in the Boston College offense for the little guy, and 5-foot-8 left wing Gaudreau is the latest in a long and talented line." Written by the author.

#3 - "Listed at just 5-foot-6 and 165 pounds, Grimaldi was the shortest player ever taken in the NHL Entry Draft when Florida chose him in the second round (33rd overall) back in 2011." Written by the author.
                      'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                        I read the article to mean small by NHL standards, not compared to the average size of an NCAA forward. Is this not how others are interpreting it?
                        I don't see where the author makes any comparisons to NHL or NCAA size forwards. He just makes a comment, or quotes someone else's comment, on a players size.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
                          I don't see where the author makes any comparisons to NHL or NCAA size forwards. He just makes a comment, or quotes someone else's comment, on a players size.
                          I realize that, but it seemed to me like he was inferring that. Maybe I got the wrong message.
                          @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                          On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                          High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
                            The big guys play pro
                            Here's the answer to what seems like a valid question. And the Lucia quote fleshes the answer out a bit.
                            bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                            SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                            All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                            A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                              Because we think it's dumb you have to create another thread for it, regardless of the title of it, when one already exists. See Post #12 for the thread.
                              "WE?" Who the devil is "we?" I'm guessing it might be like Queen Elizabeth II, who refers to herself as "we," or maybe you are a member of a secret college hockey fan confederacy with a secret handshake and the like. Do tell.

Comment

"WE?" Who the devil is "we?" I'm guessing it might be like Queen Elizabeth II, who refers to herself as "we," or maybe you are a member of a secret college hockey fan confederacy with a secret handshake and the like. Do tell.
                                Dear God, I hope our Ivy Leagues are producing better graduates than this.

Comment

Working...
                                X