This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ohio State 2013/2014 - Third year in Oz

Very Disapointing weekend of hockey. That was as sloppy of a hockey game as i have seen in a while. Clearing the puck looks like school kids during a fire drill no one knows what to do right now. Olson played very well once again but no offense to go with it. The 2 bad bounce goals Alaska got were off bad clearing attempts they have to clear that up or its going to be a long season. Northern's coming in next weekend and it doesnt get any eaiser they are playing pretty good hockey right now too. Jardine had surgery soon after the game on his wrist. If he had the same injury that Mike Modano had when he played for the Red Wings its not a good one. Modano had to have his fingers rubberbanded to his wrist so he could move them and rip open the scar. It took him almost 4 months before he could do anything with those fingers. Hope he heals well and we can see him again in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
      Very Disapointing weekend of hockey. That was as sloppy of a hockey game as i have seen in a while. Clearing the puck looks like school kids during a fire drill no one knows what to do right now. Olson played very well once again but no offense to go with it. The 2 bad bounce goals Alaska got were off bad clearing attempts they have to clear that up or its going to be a long season. Northern's coming in next weekend and it doesnt get any eaiser they are playing pretty good hockey right now too. Jardine had surgery soon after the game on his wrist. If he had the same injury that Mike Modano had when he played for the Red Wings its not a good one. Modano had to have his fingers rubberbanded to his wrist so he could move them and rip open the scar. It took him almost 4 months before he could do anything with those fingers. Hope he heals well and we can see him again in the future.
      Tough news regarding Jardine. I sincerely hope he is going to be alright. Regarding the game, I wasn't there tonight, but I had a chance to listen to the radio broadcast for a good portion of the game, and they said we took 27 minutes in penalties tonight! Tough to win a hockey game when you're spending almost HALF of it in the sin bin! That lack of discipline is going to kill this season. On offense, if we don't figure out how to score on a power play, it's going to be a really long season. We get a five-minute penalty at the end, giving us a golden opportunity to tie it, and instead, we give up a shorthanded goal ... game over. The young team excuse doesn't work with this group as 20 of the 27 players on the roster are sophomores, juniors, or seniors. There is no excuse for this team to be playing the way they are playing right now. I'll cut myself off now, but two points at home vs Alaska is unacceptable.
      Last edited by osualum86; 11-10-2012, 11:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
        The young team excuse doesn't work with this group as 20 of the 27 players on the roster are sophomores, juniors, or seniors. There is no excuse for this team to be playing the way they are playing right now. I'll cut myself off now, but two points at home vs Alaska is unacceptable.
        This will be the Coaches last year to use the young team excuse. Next year in the BIG 10 he will use the excuse of it's our first year in the new conference. Then in 2014/2015 season his job will be on the line as the excuses will run out.

I see a team as 50/50. The Coach is the most important person at practice & can only help guide the players in the right direction during games. The players are the ones that have to put the puck in the net and help out there Goalie.

I know it's early in the season , but I still have my fingers crossed that this team can pull it together & compete at the end of the season & make playoffs. " GO BUCKEYES GO. "

PS. My wish is that this team could play like they did in the second game of the UMD series. That's the best WIN I have seen them play in years. They played 3 periods of AWESOME hockey.
        Last edited by THE OHIO STATE; 11-11-2012, 01:41 AM.
        " PUT ME IN COACH. "

Comment

Both of these goalies may actually be better than Heater. We have got to start moving our forwards around more though. On the powerplay they would be better off moving the puck behind the net and dumping a center pass than whatever the #$@! they are trying to do now. They just give the puck up at the point without a shot!!!

Comment

Despite the one goal they scored, this team's power play was the worst I can ever remember seeing at OSU. There are things I like about this team, but they certainly need a remedial course in setting up a power play. Sad.

Comment

per Sam Jardine successful surgery. Long recovery but should be good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Draighlicht View Post
                per Sam Jardine successful surgery. Long recovery but should be good to go.

GOOD NEWS about Sam. When I saw him and the other player go down and Sam come up bleeding , I thought the way he was bent over that he got cut in the throat. I wish the kid a speedy recovery.
                " PUT ME IN COACH. "

Comment

Originally posted by DavidGilmour20 View Post
                  Both of these goalies may actually be better than Heater. We have got to start moving our forwards around more though. On the powerplay they would be better off moving the puck behind the net and dumping a center pass than whatever the #$@! they are trying to do now. They just give the puck up at the point without a shot!!!
                  When they do take a shot on the PP no one is in position for a rebound at the top of the crease except on rare occasions and not once have I seen a man slip in at the weak side of the net for the quick pass through the crease which is a bread & butter PP move for a lot of teams. I think math is our guy's weak area right now and it's only simple equations. Example - When bringing the puck up ice along the boards on the PP and two opposing players converge on you at the blue line, how many men on your team does it leave open for the pass?

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                    When they do take a shot on the PP no one is in position for a rebound at the top of the crease except on rare occasions and not once have I seen a man slip in at the weak side of the net for the quick pass through the crease which is a bread & butter PP move for a lot of teams. I think math is our guy's weak area right now and it's only simple equations. Example - When bringing the puck up ice along the boards on the PP and two opposing players converge on you at the blue line, how many men on your team does it leave open for the pass?
                    Well said. So far this season most games some of the players are playing sellfish with the puck. More teamwork is needed for the WIN. Coach OZ can & should take care of the problems on the bench in the 1st period.
                    " PUT ME IN COACH. "

Comment

Originally posted by Draighlicht View Post
                      Despite the one goal they scored, this team's power play was the worst I can ever remember seeing at OSU. There are things I like about this team, but they certainly need a remedial course in setting up a power play. Sad.
                      Like I said about Friday's game, they had 31 minutes of PP and not one goal. Come on, that's having an opponent in the box for over half the game! I think the only reason we had a PP goal on Saturday was because it was a 5 on 3, not 5 on 4.
                      Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 11-12-2012, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Confidence is lacking on the PP and you get the sense they are pressing-not surprisingly. Practice, practice, practice..

Comment

By the way it's the first of 3 DH weekends with the womens team. Ladies at 2, Guys at 7 both days.

Comment

Originally posted by THE OHIO STATE View Post
                            This will be the Coaches last year to use the young team excuse. Next year in the BIG 10 he will use the excuse of it's our first year in the new conference. Then in 2014/2015 season his job will be on the line as the excuses will run out.
                            If Oz is going to get the axe, why wait til the end of the season? Just drop it now please. Let your AD know how you feel. Thanks.
                            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                              If Oz is going to get the axe, why wait til the end of the season? Just drop it now please. Let your AD know how you feel. Thanks.
                              No, he's not going to get the axe. OSU's policy on most sports (hockey included) is to let a coach work through his entire contract and then not renew it if success is lacking. Oz is safe for several years.

Comment

Originally posted by OSUmab View Post
                                By the way it's the first of 3 DH weekends with the womens team. Ladies at 2, Guys at 7 both days.
                                Mrs 86 and I will be at both games. We're doing the hockey DH! Looking forward to it!

Comment

Working...
                                X