Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maine 2012 - The Good, the Bad, or the Ugly??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine 2012 - The Good, the Bad, or the Ugly??

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
    The school did not buy Blodgett out, boosters did.
    I think Kennedy claimed it was discretionary funds, I seem to remember reading that. Maybe those funds came from boosters?
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Good Catch Cinquante et un, 51......I know mangene is making money in the A, but another good year would have helped everyone....ok maybe just the Black Bears...

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
        I think Kennedy claimed it was discretionary funds, I seem to remember reading that. Maybe those funds came from boosters?
        That's the way I understood it as well. I also had the impression that it wasn't Friend's of Women's Basketbal money. Private money is donated to the University by alumni and others each year. Some of this money is discretionary money that the President can distribute at his discretion. It could be used for research, teaching, or any other activity related to the operation of the University.

Comment

The Firing of Blogett was a NO BRAINER,come on a 24-94 record...anyone with a pulse or know how in the College Sports world would have done the same thing that Abbott is getting way too much credit...this was just what he needed...a gift firing to gain attention from everyone from the Media/Fans to the U's current Coaches....from what has been said he(Abbott) spends far to much time in Portland instead of his "HOBBY" at UMaine....maybe a REAL A.D. should take in this weekends games at UML....but not a chance...heck it's just a HOBBY and just another ink blot on his RESUME.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
            "Abbott said money to fund that buyout will come from private sources with no tuition or taxpayer funds to be used." Quote from BDN when Blodgett was canned.

If private contributions - "private sources" - didn't come from supporters of women's basketball, where the h377 did they come from? When I say, "boosters" I mean supporters of that sport, not the U in general.
            It came from the President's fund. It could be used for any purpose, it was not donated to buy out Cindy or even to support Basketball specifically.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
              All those guys you mention are seniors except Norman. The problems are the senior class is okay at best and junior class is small. The freshmen and sophomore classes are very good in my opinion.
              Most of these "very good" freshmen and sophmores you speak of have no more than one goal 9 games in. If you want to see REAL talented freshmen and sophmores, look at BC guys like Gaudreau who put up @ 45 pts as a freshman, Atkinson who put up 50+ as a sophmore, Arnold who had like 36 as a sophmore, JHayes who was in the 30's as a sophmore, etc, etc. Even if the upper classes are void of talent, there's no reason a talented underclassman wouldn't be able to score more points than your guys are currently putting up. I think you're mistaken if you think many of these guys are very good. Shore is probably the only one who'd eventually be a top 6 guy for a BC or BU.

Comment

Originally posted by carltonbarrett View Post
                Most of these "very good" freshmen and sophmores you speak of have no more than one goal 9 games in. If you want to see REAL talented freshmen and sophmores, look at BC guys like Gaudreau who put up @ 45 pts as a freshman, Atkinson who put up 50+ as a sophmore, Arnold who had like 36 as a sophmore, JHayes who was in the 30's as a sophmore, etc, etc. Even if the upper classes are void of talent, there's no reason a talented underclassman wouldn't be able to score more points than your guys are currently putting up. I think you're mistaken if you think many of these guys are very good. Shore is probably the only one who'd eventually be a top 6 guy for a BC or BU.
                As my signature shows, we all know how good you are at prognosticating who is top six material for BC
                Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                  The freshmen and sophomore classes are very good in my opinion.
                  The Sophomore class has 24 points in 165 games I don't even think that could be called an average class that's poor anyway you look at it.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                    Mea culpa. The Portland Press Herald is lacking in so many ways. Sorry, I was going off of the information I had and my memory, both of which were faulty.
                    bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                    SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                    All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                    A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

• Originally posted by carltonbarrett View Post
                      will someone tell carltonbarrett to go put on his burgundy and gold footie pajamas and write something on a BC blog. And leave us poor wretches alone. We don't need everything to be compared to the vaunted BC...

Comment

Originally posted by BearNecessity View Post
                        will someone tell carltonbarrett to go put on his burgundy and gold footie pajamas and write something on a BC blog. And leave us poor wretches alone. We don't need everything to be compared to the vaunted BC...
                        Its what gives carlton a woody.
                        sure why not

Comment

Kyle Beattie will see some ice time this weekend after sustaining a couple of concussions.

Comment

Anyone else see this at CHN?

It’s time for Maine fans to accept their program’s reality

One of the most famous soundbites in Boston sports history is Rick Pitino’s famous decree that Larry Bird was, in fact, not walking through some door. For Maine, it’s time to realize that the success Shawn Walsh, rest in peace, experienced represented a high that few programs will ever experience. Walsh took Maine to seven Frozen Fours in his 16 seaons in Orono and won a pair of national championships. Since Tim Whitehead took over in 2001-02, Maine has played in four Frozen Fours and two national championship games. Last year, the Black Bears returned to the NCAA tournament for the first time in four season, and many thought it signaled the rebirth of the club as national power once again. However, 2012-13 hasn’t supported that. Through nine games, Maine is 1-9-0, and it’s unlikely that things will get much better this year.8

Many focused on the losses of Spencer Abbott and Brian Flynn. However, other departures have left Maine uncommonly thin at certain roles or within specialties that stand out badly with every loss. The graduation of Will O’Neil left Maine without an established No. 1 defenseman and a calming presence on the power play. Matt Mangene was among the best puck movers in college hockey a season ago and a fantastic scoring complement to the Black Bears’ vaunted top line. Beyond that, Ryan Hegarty’s graduation took away from a defensively dominant second pairing along with Mark Nemec. Whitehead hoped the scoring lost would be replaced by Mark Anthoine, Kyle Beattie and some others who had strong seasons a year ago, while some gifted freshmen rounded into form. Moreover, Whitehead believe goaltender Dan Sullivan’s junior season would prove the year he became a top-flight Division I goaltender.

Almost none of that has happened at this point. Only Connor Leen has multiple goals. Joey Diamond’s discipline issues have popped up again. In nine games, Maine has scored 10 goals and allowed 30. The power play has been woeful, with Maine converting on one of its 43 opportunities (2.3 percent). Meanwhile neither Sullivan nor Martin Ouellette has performed well in goal. Freshman Matt Morris picked up Maine’s lone win.

The reality for Maine fans is their program is no longer on par with the premier programs in Hockey East, and it isn’t anyone’s fault. Maine is still a desirable place to play, and there will be championship contending seasons. But there will be the bust years too. Inevitably, calls for Whitehead’s job are already heard ringing from Maine, but it’s time for acceptance in Orono.

Comment

• Originally posted by AMC View Post
                              It's easy to write one of those articles but I think they're a little off target. Maine has had good teams the last three years even though only one made the tourney. As far as this year goes, I see three major problems for the team.

1. Injuries. Four of our top 10 forwards have missed a lot of time. This speaks for itself.

2. The older dmen have been awful. I think Pryor and Cornell have been horrible this year. O'connor at times has looked bad as well. I think this has been more of a problem than replacing oneil and hegarty. I actually think Rutt and Hutton have done a decent job of that.

3. Missing a couple talisman up front. I don't think the issue with scoring is not having any talent, it's not having those one or two guys who really can make it happen. I think this will take care of itself with Shore, Lomberg, and Leen developing into those type guys to varying degrees. Morgan and Byron have a lot of promise next year too. I would expect Byron to take over one of the points in the PP straightaway.

For me, a lot of what I listed above should improve as the season goes on. I know a lot of people would say the goaltending but I think D has been the bigger issue.
                              Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                              Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
                                W*T*F*? The guy is baked (and obviously a BC, BU , or UNH guy).

Comment

Working...
                                X