This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Union Hockey 2012-2013 - Unfinished Business

The latest NCAA.com all-access video with Josh Jooris... a personal tour of his off-campus apartment.

http://t.co/Tx1GUQvp

Comment

Ahead of Friday's game at Clarkson, a Q&A with the voice of Clarkson hockey, Bob Ahlfeld:

http://bit.ly/XOjEfx

Comment

This weekend's road trip could be a record breaking one for Mat Bodie: http://bit.ly/USzLMD

Comment

Before today's practice, I asked Rick Bennett about this weekend's games. Hear what he has to say here.

Comment

It''s the bell lap...the Dutchmen are beginning to make their move...the faithful await this weekend's results with fond memories of 2012's kick. Could it be that last year's stretch drive is about to be duplicated? It's a tall order... with a bye first on the menu, followed by an ECAC tourney championship, and finally a NCAA appearance. Q'pac is the concensus champion and rightfully so at this juncture. However, no sport contains more surprises than college hockey!

Comment

Cruice replaces Coatta in Union lineup tonight.

http://media.tumblr.com/77293e6e4c89...Yop1qcayzi.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Miami Ice View Post
                It''s the bell lap...the Dutchmen are beginning to make their move...the faithful await this weekend's results with fond memories of 2012's kick. Could it be that last year's stretch drive is about to be duplicated? It's a tall order... with a bye first on the menu, followed by an ECAC tourney championship, and finally a NCAA appearance. Q'pac is the concensus champion and rightfully so at this juncture. However, no sport contains more surprises than college hockey!
                Quinnipiac has shown me that they've got the makeup of a champion team - a stifling defense and they don't quit when they're down. That said, I'd be shocked if they go undefeated in league play. I don't think I've ever seen that in this league.

Union can make a run, but they have to figure out the 3rd period. The offense hasn't clicked enough to blow anyone out, so they're going to need to work on protecting a lead. Perhaps the best defense is a better offense.
                Union Hockey

2014 National Champions!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by aweise View Post
                  Quinnipiac has shown me that they've got the makeup of a champion team - a stifling defense and they don't quit when they're down. That said, I'd be shocked if they go undefeated in league play. I don't think I've ever seen that in this league.

Union can make a run, but they have to figure out the 3rd period. The offense hasn't clicked enough to blow anyone out, so they're going to need to work on protecting a lead. Perhaps the best defense is a better offense.
                  I agree that most of Union's sputtering has been on offense. The inability to hold leads in the third period is troubling but due at least in part to the fact that we seem to be able to score in only one period a game and even then, it's often not in the third. I don't have the stat on that but I'm sure the number of times that's happened is pretty significant.
                  Last edited by Wholin1; 02-08-2013, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Wow, that was one of the worst games I've seen a Union team play in 3-4 years . Very flat, no jump at all. Clarkson totally dictated play and U had MAYBE 10 minutes of good effort. The offense just can't seem to get any sustained cycling of the puck deep in the other teams end. So much for Bennett's theory that going on the road might focus the team more. Right now this looks like a team that will be fighting for 1st round home ice and will be lucky to make it to the 2nd round.. Something has got to be done to shake things up. While I'm not blaming the frosh, I don't see how Wilkins and Roy deserve to be in the lineup each night. Wilkins is good for 1-2 really bad penalties every game and Roy just plain doesn't do much. I'd say give Coatta, Bennett, DiPauli a chance every now & then. Of course that won't help the top lines on the team score more.. was very frustrating to watch the video feed tonight.
                    UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

I was at the women's game, but was surprised to hear of a 2-1 loss at Clarkson.

Entering play, Clarkson had all of two wins at home all season long. They had been playing better of late, but I didn't anticipate a win over Union.

Jooris' goal was his first in TWO months. That really surprised me when I looked at it.

Also interesting to see Grosenick pulled in the 2nd period of a 2-0 game.

Comment

Some kick...that one was in the n..ts. Something is missing. Is the absence of Welsh and Zajac that significant? Expectations for another banner season are becoming dimmer. Nothing worse than playing "catch up ball". Suddenly home ice is now in the conversation. Ouch. However, we are keeping the faith until the bitter end.

Comment

Wow, that was some stinker last night. One goal after 3 plus periods carrying over from Dartmouth. Now the special teams are starting to slump also. Definitely the low point of the season to this point. The Union radio guys reviewed the goal scoring numbers over the past dozen or so games and the forwards are collectively on hiatus. Going into the season I thought we had enough offense returning to be more than adequate. I was figuring on 15 goals minimum from Carr and Simpson with Jooris, Hatch, Sullivan and Bodie each good for 15 to 20 points. Obviously that was an overly optimistic projection. Low scoring puts a lot of pressure on the goaltending to pitch a shutout or a one goal game every night. That isn't realistic. Not sure what the options are at this point. Very puzzling.

Gingras has not played the last two games. I haven't heard anything about injury or illness so I guess he's been a healthy scratch. I am guessing we may see Stevens in goal tonight and a few other new faces in the lineup. We can't afford to lay another egg tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
                            Wow, that was some stinker last night. One goal after 3 plus periods carrying over from Dartmouth. Now the special teams are starting to slump also. Definitely the low point of the season to this point. The Union radio guys reviewed the goal scoring numbers over the past dozen or so games and the forwards are collectively on hiatus. Going into the season I thought we had enough offense returning to be more than adequate. I was figuring on 15 goals minimum from Carr and Simpson with Jooris, Hatch, Sullivan and Bodie each good for 15 to 20 points. Obviously that was an overly optimistic projection. Low scoring puts a lot of pressure on the goaltending to pitch a shutout or a one goal game every night. That isn't realistic. Not sure what the options are at this point. Very puzzling.

Gingras has not played the last two games. I haven't heard anything about injury or illness so I guess he's been a healthy scratch. I am guessing we may see Stevens in goal tonight and a few other new faces in the lineup. We can't afford to lay another egg tonight.
                            Maybe put Gingras at forward??? I don't know what the problem is, but how do you go the first 30 minutes of the game against one of the most penalized teams in the country and not get a PP? The answer to that is that you don't put any pressure on them and let them play an open-ice game. At the very least there is a massive lack of offensive confidence.. but at worst it looks like certain players are just not willing to stick their noses in and get physical. I know Appert had a game early in the season where he was very unhappy with a previous night's performance and then benched some of his best players the next night. It seems like a very risky and drastic thing to do at this point in the season (RPI got pummeled the next night), but it did seem to work to wake the team up a bit. Wonder if a similar message will be sent when tonight's roster is posted.
                            UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

Ciampini and Stuart out Gingras is back in. Coatta is also in and some line shuffling. Grosenick back in goal. http://unionhockey.tumblr.com/
                              Last edited by Wholin1; 02-09-2013, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Schott says Stuart is injured. Lower-body, suffered last night.

Comment

Working...
                                X