Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UAA Fan Blog.. We Hardly Knew Ye.. (And a Mea Culpa)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UAA Fan Blog.. We Hardly Knew Ye.. (And a Mea Culpa)

On Friday night, the 21st of September 2012, I launched forth in these forums a (perhaps ill conceived) outcry bemoaning the fact that the UAA FAN BLOG by Donald Dunlop will in all likelihood soon be defunct. Some of you may remember that particular blog post, some of you may not. Said post was here for a scant 8 hours or so. I will admit here and now that I was not in the best state of mind (don't ask) to utter a good case for the blog that I have so much respect for, and that is why I subsequently deleted it that Saturday afternoon (sorry to all who had posted a response to it). I would like to apologize for writing, and later so quickly deleting, that hasty response to Donald retiring his blog. It's not that my sentiment wasn't valid, but I think there were certain things that could have been expressed better or more tactfully.

Having said that, I would like to restate my sadness and disappointment (in a proper state of mind this time) that Donald will soon no longer be contributing to the UAA Hockey Fan Blog. This also goes for JimJamesAK, who was a co-contributor to the blog and produced much wonderful content including insightful post-game interviews with Coach Shyiak and the team. I know that many of you know of Donald, and that many of you probably have em, well, certain opinions of Donald that probably would not be fit for print in almost any news stand in America. Regardless, for me Donald was and still is the very definition of a true fan. He followed the UAA Seawolves (if I have my facts right) since 1984. This is quite remarkable for a place like Anchorage, Alaska. Don't get me wrong, I love (and will always love) Anchorage. It was where I was born and will always have an affinity for. However, I must say that college hockey fandom here is, at least today, embarrassing. Yes, we have a core group of followers that would make ANY WCHA team proud (yeah I'm looking at you Suze, JimJamesAK, Arcticfox, A Seawolves Fanatic, AKfan), but unfortunately that following is small and not often heard. It doesn't diminish their contribution.. no, but it's sad knowing that the true UAA fanatics are but a ripple in the tsunami that Anchorage fandom once was (soldout Sullivan arena in the 90's!) and could be in the future.

In spite of all of that, Donald's UAA FAN BLOG was truly a beacon in the night. Not to diminish their hard work in promoting the Seawolves, but the phenomenon created by Donald's blog is one thing that the UAA Sports Administration couldn't have conceived of or executed even if they had thrown a hundred thousand dollars at it. This is because at its core was a writer who had the balls and grit to say what he felt needed to be said, and had the wit, humor and, may I say even brilliance to somehow take what was, and sadly still is, a mostly basement dwelling program and at least give it some well deserved dignity, and even hope. And it was that hope that brought his blog's faithful readership back, time and time again, and the naysayers back, time and time again. There are FAR too many brilliant quotes that Donald bestowed upon his blog throughout the seven years that he contributed to it. Yes, I know, much of what I'm about to post stung (and will sting) many of you er, um, Midwestern WCHA fans, but please keep in mind that what he said was in the spirit of fandom. That's a fact. Having said that, let me regale you with some of the choicest bits that sprung forth from his mind:

"I'd imagine part of being a freshman on a WCHA team is a sort of deer-in-the-headlights glaze that's got to come over you a time or two playing in some of the road arenas in this league. Whether it's 10,000 automaton-prairie-susies (and it's thousands of images of a decapitated aboriginal adorning the Italian marble) interrupting the national anthem with their "and the home of the Siouuuuuuuuxxxx" crap; or the redundant spelling lesson from apparently repressed elementary school teachers escaping their corporate responsibilites at the Mariucci (hows that go? M-i-n-i-s-o-d-a?); or when the inevitable result of beer, brats and way too much cheddar in Madtown turns out to be cheerleading???; or even the beer induced rabble from St. Nothingelsetodoville overstuffed into a concrete mausoleum causing all the Polaris satin jackets to rub together and chirp like crickets; they're all distracting enough to make a rookies eyes go "What the ****?"

"Hundreds of other D-1 players toil in near total anonymity getting little or no scholarship money but showing up for practice and standing ready to play whenever asked by their coaches. Without kids like these making personal committments to their teams (without any chance at glory) and donating their blood and sweat to the effort; D-1 hockey would be lessened in my eyes."

"in all this apparent fit of "dysfunctional gopher-love" is that UAA's only goal this weekend as a team should be ..."

"I'd think of every single metaphor for and example of great sports upsets. I'd pull Knute Rockne out of my ***."

And then there's always the SCSU inspired comments I've made:

"I have some advice; (It's the same sort of thing I would say to any miserable trailer-park fudge packer raised by monkeys) ..."

"The abyss of your stupidity apparently knows no bounds. You and your pre-menstrual concubine are pretty much the only 2 SCSU fans devoid of reasoning faculties."

"The secondary benefit of twisting your pink panties is just a bonus provided for real SCSU fans that already know what an insipid little tool you are."

"Dirty was out walking his neighbor's dog when his Grandma sees him and says, "What are you doing with that flea-bitten dirtbag?"
    And the dog answers, "Bark ... bark bark bark. Bark bark bark bark."

Yes, this is the kind of insightful invective we are soon to be without. Admit it, you laughed. The dude has a way with words and withering humor that few college hockey bloggers ever had and perhaps ever will. And this was just from his first year. Sigh.

Donald, this UAA Seawolves fan (and I'm sure countless others, will miss you). Can a Chicago Blackhawks blog be in your future? One can only hope. :-)
    Last edited by Alaskana; 10-01-2012, 06:24 PM.

Re: UAA Fan Blog.. We Hardly Knew Ye.. (And a Mea Culpa)

A week later and it's still hilarious.
    Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
    when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
    Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

When I try to go to the UAA FAN BLOG on my work computer Sonic Wall blocks it as "Cult/Occult" which I find quite intuitive for a dumb filter program.

Comment

Wait, what happened to his blog? It was overtaken by christian zealots?
        Originally posted by SJHovey
        Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
        Originally posted by Brenthoven
        We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
          Wait, what happened to his blog? It was overtaken by christian zealots?
          Druids.
          BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
          Skating Friar Jersey
          AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
          UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
          Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

The UAA Athletic Department didn't like that a person they gave a media pass for his blog used said blog to swear and make crazy claims. So Donald is pouting and quitting the blog.
            Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
            when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
            Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

No loss.

Comment

I hope Donald gets his bicycle back.
                Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                  I hope Donald gets his bicycle back.
                  I know you had a tough time in prison but I hope you get your dignity back some day.
                  Originally posted by vizoroo
                  Thought you had picked the avatar so we could id you. Guess he fooled me too.
                  Originally posted by duper
                  I obviously missed it, but it sounds like some idiot from CC took trolling to a whole new, totally inappropriate level.

I was well over the borderline. I figured I would meet you on your turf.
                  Every time you post like an *******, I want to quote the idiotic comment you made where you claim not to be a troll. You're such a dick.
                  Originally posted by dggoddard
                  Finally you made me laugh.

There may be hope for you yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                    The UAA Athletic Department didn't like that a person they gave a media pass for his blog used said blog to swear and make crazy claims. So Donald is pouting and quitting the blog.
                    Are he and Priceless pouting together?

Comment

He was a d-bag anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
                        He was a d-bag anyway.
                        I'm not sure you need to use past tense.

Comment

Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
                          He was a d-bag anyway.
                          There's one in every fanbase
                          Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                            He cleaned it up (sort of...) after he got his press pass, but I always thought uaa went out on a limb giving official credentials to someone as...off color...as him.

I'll miss it in a weird way. I had a hunch it was over after he announced he was moving to Chicago.
                            “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

I must say that I do appreciate him redirecting folks to the Christian site he has going on now.

It is also pretty flipin hilarious that he's moving to Chicago after all the effort he put into trying to paint AK as heaven on earth.

Comment

Working...
                              X