• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nescac '12-'13

Great articles, both, thanks gents
    from behind the iron curtain...

Comment

Hamilton is a team of the walking wounded. They currently have four starting players injured. A senior defensemen out with a broken foot. A freshmen forward out with a concussion, a sophmore forward out with two broken fingers and a junior forward who has been playing with a broken hand in a cast.
      When the injured are healed, they should play better and not be a bottom team.

Comment

Tufts, too - Two forwards from the top two lines, out as well as 3-4 other solid contributors.

Comment

There are rumors on the basketball boards that Tufts is looking to leave the NESCAC for the UAA. (Washington Univ, Carnegie Mellon, U of Chicago, Case Western Reserve, Brandeis, Emory, NYU, U of Rochester) While merely a rumor, it is thought that it might be a way to solve their football woes that include the current 23 game losing streak. Since the few schools that play football in the UAA, probably do it at at higher level than the NESCAC, that doesn't seem like a solution. Also, the UAA does not play hockey or lacrosse. If Tufts were to leave, hockey would probably have muliitple options to find a conference....ECACE, ECACW, ECACNE, the lacrosse team could have trouble finding a conference, though. Again, this is all just a rumor, but the size and type of schools Tufts is would make it a logical fit for the UAA.
          Last edited by neumyer; 12-03-2012, 12:26 PM.
          Middlebury Hockey....The Greatest DIII Show on Skates

Comment

Originally posted by neumyer View Post
            There are rumors on the basketball boards that Tufts is looking to leave the NESCAC for the UAA. (Washington Univ, Carnegie Mellon, U of Chicago, Case Western Reserve, Brandeis, Emory, NYU, U of Rochester) While merely a rumor, it is thought that it might be a way to solve their football woes that include the current 23 game losing streak. Since the few schools that play football in the UAA, probably do it at at higher level than the NESCAC, that doesn't seem like a solution. Also, the UAA does not play hockey or lacrosse. If Tufts were to leave, hockey would probably have mulitiple options to find a conference....ECACE, ECACW, ECACNE, the lacrosse team could have trouble finding a conference, though. Again, this is all just a rumor, but the size and type of schools Tufts is would be a logical fit for the UAA.
            This seems to be rather an extravagant way to fix Tufts football problem. Is this because the UAA imposes fewer restrictions on recruiting??? I suppose that the UAA would be a better fit in terms of institution size but so much air travel would be involved -- I think that conference members include such far-flung schools as Emory, WashU and UChicago

Comment

There are rumors on the basketball boards that Tufts is looking to leave the NESCAC for the UAA. (Washington Univ, Carnegie Mellon, U of Chicago, Case Western Reserve, Brandeis, Emory, NYU, U of Rochester) While merely a rumor, it is thought that it might be a way to solve their football woes that include the current 23 game losing streak. Since the few schools that play football in the UAA, probably do it at at higher level than the NESCAC, that doesn't seem like a solution. Also, the UAA does not play hockey or lacrosse. If Tufts were to leave, hockey would probably have muliitple options to find a conference....ECACE, ECACW, ECACNE, the lacrosse team could have trouble finding a conference, though. Again, this is all just a rumor, but the size and type of schools Tufts is would be a logical fit for the UAA.
              What's the exit fee for the NESCAC -- 1/20th of the endowment?
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                What's the exit fee for the NESCAC -- 1/20th of the endowment?
                I,m not sure there is one like D1 conferences. Also, travel for Tufts would skyrocket. As previously mentioned, with fewer restrictions on football, it might be a way out of the hole they are in, albeit against tougher competition.

Comment

I,m not sure there is one like D1 conferences. Also, travel for Tufts would skyrocket. As previously mentioned, with fewer restrictions on football, it might be a way out of the hole they are in, albeit against tougher competition.
                  It would be more logical for Tufts just to drop football since it turns out that UAA doesn't really have a football conference. Of course, I don't understand why Tufts has problems recruiting under the existing NESCAC restrictions since it has built-in advantages like that nice urban location and a greater curriculum options for would-be athletes (like excellent engineering programs).

Comment

Originally posted by d3follower View Post
                    It would be more logical for Tufts just to drop football since it turns out that UAA doesn't really have a football conference. Of course, I don't understand why Tufts has problems recruiting under the existing NESCAC restrictions since it has built-in advantages like that nice urban location and a greater curriculum options for would-be athletes (like excellent engineering programs).
                    With a 132 year football history, I doubt they will drop football and getting to the NCAA is not possible at NESCAC anyway. I think continuing their hockey competition and having a place for their NCAA lacrosse program would be more of a barrier to leaving NESCAC for the UAA.

Tufts garnered national recognition in 2004 for the historical significance of its game against Harvard at Jarvis Field in Cambridge on June 4, 1875. While most sports historians declare that Rutgers and Princeton played the first intercollegiate football game between two American colleges on November 6, 1869, that game was played with rules similar to today’s game of soccer. Players couldn’t run with the ball or tackle opponents. Many sports historians believe football as we know it today was developed at Harvard in the 1870s. This game, known as the Boston Game, included catching and running with the ball, keys to the development of the non-soccer type game in America. Tufts won that game against Harvard, 1-0. (At the time, a touchdown counted as one point.)

Comment

With a 132 year football history, I doubt they will drop football and getting to the NCAA is not possible at NESCAC anyway. I think continuing their hockey competition and having a place for their NCAA lacrosse program would be more of a barrier to leaving NESCAC for the UAA.

Tufts garnered national recognition in 2004 for the historical significance of its game against Harvard at Jarvis Field in Cambridge on June 4, 1875. While most sports historians declare that Rutgers and Princeton played the first intercollegiate football game between two American colleges on November 6, 1869, that game was played with rules similar to today’s game of soccer. Players couldn’t run with the ball or tackle opponents. Many sports historians believe football as we know it today was developed at Harvard in the 1870s. This game, known as the Boston Game, included catching and running with the ball, keys to the development of the non-soccer type game in America. Tufts won that game against Harvard, 1-0. (At the time, a touchdown counted as one point.)
                      History thing is interesting -- did not know that about Tufts. Still, since UAA is not a football conference, moving to the UAA would do very little for Tufts in terms of getting to the NCAAs so the underlying logic escapes me. It seems as though several other NESCACs (Trinity, Amherst, Middlebury, and Williams) manage to cope well in the football arena in spite of the recruiting restrictions so it sounds more like a commitment problem on the part of Tufts than a problem with recruiting restrictions.

Comment

Originally posted by d3follower View Post
                        History thing is interesting -- did not know that about Tufts. Still, since UAA is not a football conference, moving to the UAA would do very little for Tufts in terms of getting to the NCAAs so the underlying logic escapes me. It seems as though several other NESCACs (Trinity, Amherst, Middlebury, and Williams) manage to cope well in the football arena in spite of the recruiting restrictions so it sounds more like a commitment problem on the part of Tufts than a problem with recruiting restrictions.
                        I don't think getting to the NCAAs is the issue for Tufts. They would be happy to win a few games for a change. If they did go to the UAA and play the 4 or 5 members there that do play football and end up winning 8 or 9 games some year, then they would be in line for a Pool B or C as in hockey.

Another question is what would the NESCAC do? When Union left about 30 years ago or so, they ended up adding Conn College as a member. Would they invite another team like Skidmore, Wheaton, MIT, fill in the blank team to join or stay with 10 members. If so, would Bates be encouraged to play NCAA hockey?

Comment

I've never understood why Bates doesn't play hockey. It would seem like a logical sport, being in the same conference and close by (relatively) to Colby and Bowdoin.
                          Formerly known as NUSuntan

Comment

Originally posted by The Real Georgia Peach View Post
                            I've never understood why Bates doesn't play hockey. It would seem like a logical sport, being in the same conference and close by (relatively) to Colby and Bowdoin.
                            Plus, they have a nice rink on campus.

Comment

Plus, they have a nice rink on campus.
                              The rink at Bates is just barely too small to be of regulation size. Rumor has it that the person who funded the project didn't like hockey players and gave the money for the rink with the stipulation that they were never to have a varsity team. The purpose was to have it for the school, for club hockey/figure skating, and as a link to the community (and added revenue for the school). Again, rumors but that's what I have always been told.

As far as Tufts leaving the NESCAC, I think too many of their other sports would be opposed. And I don't see the school wanting to give up that academic title, either.

Comment

End of 1st

Bowdoin 2
                                USM 0
                                Mark it 8, Dude

Comment

Working...
                                X