X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Northeastern 2012-2013 Season Thread: A New Hope

Originally posted by SkinsFan09 View Post
    The fact remains this team is regressing under JM. To be 0-17-3 when trailing after two periods is pathetic for a coaching regime.

The numbers for most programs aren't that much better with this statistic.
    Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

This is not a rebuild, this is a joke..

I was kinda hoping the Mayans were right about 2012 so we could just re boot..

Anyhow.. hopefully we fare better in the New Year. Well, Happy Holidays everyone!
      GO NU HOCKEY
      Always bullish on the future.
      We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post

The numbers for most programs aren't that much better with this statistic.
        It's not a statistic you want in the first place as ideally you'd be up after two. But to not have won a single game trailing after two is insane. In 20 tries? Every blind squirrel finds a nut at some point.

4-15-1 on the road in Hockey East. Six blown leads during that stretch.
        Northeastern Huskies

Beanpot Champions: 2018, 2019
        Hockey East Champions: 2016, 2019

Comment

But to not have won a single game trailing after two is insane.
          But it isn't. That's my point.

Take out the top 10 teams nationally from the league and you have zero wins in the trailing after 2 situation (aside from NU).

UVM 0-8-1
          PC 0-6-1
          MC 0-5-1
          UML 0-5-0
          UMA 0-5-1
          Maine 0-6-1

After a while you'll watch enough hockey and realize this is par for the course. What you don't do is conclude that the coach is to blame for not winning a game in which his team trailed going into the 3rd. Blame him for having so many of those situations? Sure. But using this stat as the basis for why Madigan stinks was kind of foolish.
          Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
          The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

I don't really care that he decommitted. 8th grade is ridiculous to be committing to anything at that age. A 14 year old decommitting is far from any immediate worry. And it wasn't that much of a shocker, considering Cronin got Gaudreau, Oleksiak and Ryan Johansen all committed here.

The fact remains this team is regressing under JM. To be 0-17-3 when trailing after two periods is pathetic for a coaching regime. And he didn't inherit a garbage team, he inherited a team that beat BU in a playoff series. In 49 games we have been outshot 39 times. And of course on TV we are 0-6.

I don't see this getting better. Olsson, Benning and Szmatula are not going to change the lack of proper coaching.
            HA, the team that beat BU, you are saying last years team was comparable? OK that team that beat BU in the qtrs they lost

MaCleod
            McNeely
            Silva
            Reid
            Oleksiak

Top 4 scorers and best defense man. Can't even compare the team. Also Oleksiak only came here cause he wanted to go to school in 2010 and BU had no money left and they were trying to get him to go in 11.
            Husky Hockey heading to the top of the bottom!

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
              But it isn't. That's my point.

Take out the top 10 teams nationally from the league and you have zero wins in the trailing after 2 situation (aside from NU).

UVM 0-8-1
              PC 0-6-1
              MC 0-5-1
              UML 0-5-0
              UMA 0-5-1
              Maine 0-6-1

After a while you'll watch enough hockey and realize this is par for the course. What you don't do is conclude that the coach is to blame for not winning a game in which his team trailed going into the 3rd. Blame him for having so many of those situations? Sure. But using this stat as the basis for why Madigan stinks was kind of foolish.
              I've watched hockey my whole life. Not going to address that statement beyond that.

Second, I'm not using it as my sole point so don't put words in my mouth. I've brought up other depressing stats and plenty of reasons throughout this thread. And I don't expect any team to magically pull off tons of 3rd period comebacks. Also your stats are through a handful of games, now find the stats through 20 games for all those teams. It's tough to win from behind, and I certainly blame him partially for the team being down after two so often. Especially this season, I don't know what is up with NU after the first period but it's as if every team makes adjustments and we don't.

Now, the blame isn't solely on Madigan also. The players have no excuse to flat out quit, I don't care how tired you are of losing or the coaching, at worst, give it 100% 60 minutes a game and there have been a couple of times this season where you have to wonder, did they just quit?
              Northeastern Huskies

Comment

Originally posted by steve66 View Post
                HA, the team that beat BU, you are saying last years team was comparable? OK that team that beat BU in the qtrs they lost

MaCleod
                McNeely
                Silva
                Reid
                Oleksiak

Top 4 scorers and best defense man. Can't even compare the team. Also Oleksiak only came here cause he wanted to go to school in 2010 and BU had no money left and they were trying to get him to go in 11.
                And they added Saponari, Roy and Karlsson. That's a I can 100% understand how the defense is suffering but with the talent on this team they should not be having the kind of offensive woes they are having. The defense actually, until injuries began piling, played well above what most thought they would this year. But we are barely scoring two goals per right now. You're assuming everything is in place and we just aren't shooting sharply enough, I believe we do not have the best combinations/systems to put players where they need to be in addition to our lack of finishers which has always been a problem.

It's not as if this team with a different coach would magically be a guaranteed home ice squad, I don't agree with that, but the systems we are running are not self-sustaining and they do not create consistent pressure. Don't even want to get in to the PP and PK. As passive as can be.
                Northeastern Huskies

Comment

And they added Saponari, Roy and Karlsson. That's a I can 100% understand how the defense is suffering but with the talent on this team they should not be having the kind of offensive woes they are having. The defense actually, until injuries began piling, played well above what most thought they would this year. But we are barely scoring two goals per right now. You're assuming everything is in place and we just aren't shooting sharply enough, I believe we do not have the best combinations/systems to put players where they need to be in addition to our lack of finishers which has always been a problem.

It's not as if this team with a different coach would magically be a guaranteed home ice squad, I don't agree with that, but the systems we are running are not self-sustaining and they do not create consistent pressure. Don't even want to get in to the PP and PK. As passive as can be.
                  Maybe you should put in for the job. I really don't see this talent, sorry Saponari may be better than Silva but that is it. Roy has talent but after that...
                  Husky Hockey heading to the top of the bottom!

Comment

• Originally posted by SkinsFan09 View Post
                    ...Especially this season, I don't know what is up with NU after the first period but it's as if every team makes adjustments and we don't.

Now, the blame isn't solely on Madigan also. The players have no excuse to flat out quit, I don't care how tired you are of losing or the coaching, at worst, give it 100% 60 minutes a game and there have been a couple of times this season where you have to wonder, did they just quit?
                    The failure to make any type of adjustments after the first period is what scares me. Every single game I have seen thus far, NU comes out firing in the first and plays pretty well to start off. Once the second period begins, it's as though the team was deprived of oxygen in the locker room and they look completely flat. That is why they are not scoring in the second and third periods.
                    "We just didn't get the lucky bounces..."

Comment

Originally posted by steve66 View Post
                      Maybe you should put in for the job. I really don't see this talent, sorry Saponari may be better than Silva but that is it. Roy has talent but after that...
                      We have five 20 point scorers returned from last year not including Roy who will hit 35-40 points this year despite our offensive ineptitude. That should result in more than barely two goals per game. You seem to think the systems are amazing and we just don't use them right.
                      Northeastern Huskies

Comment

Askew commits to BU. Go figure.
                        Oh, why? Need you even ask?

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/high-...ton-university

Comment

Originally posted by RossiRules View Post
                          Oh, why? Need you even ask?
                          Rossi, who askew? ..

it's Christmas.. don't get madigan.
                          GO NU HOCKEY
                          Always bullish on the future.
                          We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Hey guys, new here. Just decided to pursue my masters at NU so it's time to get behind my new school and team. Grew up my whole life a BC fan (though never attended the school) across the board so mediocrity is nothing new to me. Was a casual BC Hockey fan but now trading in my maroon and gold for Husky black and red. Since I really only followed college hockey to track NHL prospects, I got a lot to learn. Looking forward to taking in a game at Matthews in the near future. Happy holidays!

Comment

It's not a statistic you want in the first place as ideally you'd be up after two. But to not have won a single game trailing after two is insane. In 20 tries? Every blind squirrel finds a nut at some point.

4-15-1 on the road in Hockey East. Six blown leads during that stretch.
                              An even more telling statistic to me is that Madigan has not won a conference game in which the opponent scored first. He's 0-13-3. To compare, the 08-09 team was 6-5-3 when they got scored on first. I don't know if its lack of faith in the coach, the goaltender, their scoring ability or a combination of all three, but this team completely shuts it down when they get down early.
                              2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
                              2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Comment

Originally posted by BrocktonNU View Post
                                Hey guys, new here. Just decided to pursue my masters at NU so it's time to get behind my new school and team. Grew up my whole life a BC fan (though never attended the school) across the board so mediocrity is nothing new to me. Was a casual BC Hockey fan but now trading in my maroon and gold for Husky black and red. Since I really only followed college hockey to track NHL prospects, I got a lot to learn. Looking forward to taking in a game at Matthews in the near future. Happy holidays!
                                Welcome aboard! Hope your liver is ready to be an NU fan.
                                2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
                                2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Comment

Working...
                                X