PDA

View Full Version : B1G Hockey: The Countdown Begins

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45

gopheritall
03-20-2013, 09:56 PM
Decided today I'm making the trek to Saint Paul.

Even though I will forever hate the building for what happened in 2011, I don't wanna miss the first B1G Tournament.

I hate the format it's going to be. Neutral sites blow. ESPECIALLY in college hockey. The regular season champion should be rewarded with being the host of the Final 4 of the playoff. Top 2 seeds get byes into the Final 4, and the other 4 teams in the league play best-of-3 series where higher seed hosts.

NCAA needs to wake up and smell the coffe. And in the NCAA Tournament, regionals should be hosted by the 1 seed in that region.

The only thing that sucks is Yost is banned from hosting regionals. That's why Michigan is "hosting" the West regional in Grand Rapids. At least the block M will be on the ice. :rolleyes:Glad to see you making plans to attend the tournament.

The only problem with the playoff format you suggest is that the #2 seed gets screwed out of hosting games ($$$) and #3 and #4 get to host 2 or 3 games. Kinda makes you either want #1 or drop to #3. Of course, since the Gophers would always host the F4 I would support it.

GopherBigGuy911
03-20-2013, 10:01 PM
Decided today I'm making the trek to Saint Paul.

Even though I will forever hate the building for what happened in 2011, I don't wanna miss the first B1G Tournament.

I hate the format it's going to be. Neutral sites blow. ESPECIALLY in college hockey. The regular season champion should be rewarded with being the host of the Final 4 of the playoff. Top 2 seeds get byes into the Final 4, and the other 4 teams in the league play best-of-3 series where higher seed hosts.

NCAA needs to wake up and smell the coffe. And in the NCAA Tournament, regionals should be hosted by the 1 seed in that region.

The only thing that sucks is Yost is banned from hosting regionals. That's why Michigan is "hosting" the West regional in Grand Rapids. At least the block M will be on the ice. :rolleyes:
And I thought Jan was a whiny *****....

aallenpollreisz
03-20-2013, 11:11 PM
Looking forward to the Final Fiv...errr...B1G tourney.Yes, I too am looking forward to the Super Six... er... um... Big Ten Tournament.

Almington
03-20-2013, 11:20 PM
Glad to see you making plans to attend the tournament.

The only problem with the playoff format you suggest is that the #2 seed gets screwed out of hosting games ($$$) and #3 and #4 get to host 2 or 3 games. Kinda makes you either want #1 or drop to #3. Of course, since the Gophers would always host the F4 I would support it.

Except the revenue from any conference playoff game goes to the conference, not the host school.

SteveP
03-21-2013, 06:03 AM

Not sure that I like the one-and-done format. That could get a little pricey for fans who buy a weekend ticket only to see their team gone after the first day.

WiscDC
03-21-2013, 08:43 AM
Not sure that I like the one-and-done format. That could get a little pricey for fans who buy a weekend ticket only to see their team gone after the first day.

True, but it's no different than the current format of the Final Five.

Bonin21
03-23-2013, 07:06 PM
I just posted in the Gopher thread, but can the real hockey fans please let the Big Ten know that shootouts are a joke?

klbaum1077
03-23-2013, 07:49 PM
I just posted in the Gopher thread, but can the real hockey fans please let the Big Ten know that shootouts are a joke?

I really hope they dont have shootouts I hate them with a passion.

Bonin21
03-23-2013, 07:51 PM
I really hope they dont have shootouts I hate them with a passion.
They just announced they're going to have them. I gave the Big Ten a chance. This just put a huge dent in that.

klbaum1077
03-23-2013, 07:54 PM
They just announced they're going to have them. I gave the Big Ten a chance. This just put a huge dent in that.

Great what a joke!

Gurtholfin
03-23-2013, 07:58 PM
Once again there's no one at the CCHA tourney.

Can't wait for the BTHC tourney in Detroit! :rolleyes:

Back2BackU-MnPride2002
03-23-2013, 09:02 PM
Someone start an online petition. I HATE shootouts. ******** as heck.

Bonin21
03-23-2013, 09:03 PM
I was thinking about starting a poll out of curiosity, in case people actually like them for some reason... I wouldn't want to start a new thread just for that, though.

RedFreak
03-26-2013, 02:08 PM

Nooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

Driftryder
03-26-2013, 02:10 PM

Puke!

West Texas Wolverine
03-26-2013, 02:33 PM
I really hope they dont have shootouts, I hate them with a passion.

Someone start an online petition. I HATE shootouts. ******** as heck.

Nooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

Puke!
This freakin' ticks me off. These shootout sideshows resulted from the idiocy of Tom Anastos when he headed the CCHA. Almost as soon as he started them, he left to coach MSU, yet the shootouts remained. They were the only thing about the CCHA I wasn't going to miss, and now this news.

Seriously, if someone with more time than me can figure out an effective way to protest this decision before it gets entrenched, please advise.

ExileOnDaytonStreet
03-26-2013, 02:39 PM
Link?

GB Puck Fan
03-26-2013, 02:58 PM
I guess I may be in the minority but for the regular season I like shootouts. You play the game to win. I hate ties. And judging by the crowd reaction at USHL games, most fans like them. It is usually the loudest part of the night - and can turn a dreadful boring game into a memorable one.

For the playoffs - absolutely skate 5 on 5 forever until someone scores. I'd even prefer that for the regular season. But since that isn't happening do a shootout.

And if you want 2 points for a win, or 3 for the win with a 2/1 split for the OT/SO win, I can argue either way.

ExileOnDaytonStreet
03-26-2013, 03:03 PM
I guess I may be in the minority but for the regular season I like shootouts. You play the game to win. I hate ties.Right. People get ties because they don't want to win...

I know that somewhere in this thread or elsewhere on this board, I've gone on a tirade about how much I absolutely hate this line of thinking. Later tonight, I'll have to put in the time to find it and repost it.

uwmark
03-26-2013, 03:10 PM
Shootouts suck. At least Pairwise (as crazy as it is) doesn't recognize them. I absolutely can't stand records with 4 numbers to them. Reads like a lotto number! 12-5-3-2! Cheezy. Makes the conference look gimmicky. Start up the polls and the petitions against.