Pre Season training

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre Season training

It is my understanding that the NCAA allows teams to start offical practices approx one week before the season, correct me if Im wrong but even if it is double that how can a team adaquately prepare for a season with so little prep time? Is it because a hockey season last until April and they want academics focused on? I know I know they are in capt skates but no coach no real organized session. Dont the football players get like month before preseason games begin?
    Last edited by Collegeman; 09-21-2012, 08:22 AM.

Re: Pre Season training

Practices can start on Oct. 15. It is up to the schools to determine when they want to start playing games/exhibitions. The NESCAC has their own scheduling protocol that requires that practice not start until Nov. 1, and that the first game not take place until the Weekend before Thanksgiving. Generally speaking league schedules start around Nov. 1. It's all up to the individual leagues.
    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
      Practices can start on Oct. 15. It is up to the schools to determine when they want to start playing games/exhibitions. The NESCAC has their own scheduling protocol that requires that practice not start until Nov. 1, and that the first game not take place until the Weekend before Thanksgiving. Generally speaking league schedules start around Nov. 1. It's all up to the individual leagues.
      Why do so few schools have Pre-season/scrimmage/exhibition games to prepare for the season?

Comment

Originally posted by reggiedunlop View Post
        Why do so few schools have Pre-season/scrimmage/exhibition games to prepare for the season?
        Unless you can arrange a game with a Canadian school or the NDT, any pre-season games count against your quota of 25 on-ice appearances. Norwich's game against Dartmouth counts as a game in the eyes of the NCAA schedule bean-counters, but not in the statistics. Norwich's game with Three Rivers (Trois Riviere) doesn't count in either category. Many schools are reluctant to give up an opportunity for a game that counts.

Comment

I think it is interesting to see how the players on each team conducts Captain's Practice. The school I am familar wth players pay for the ice time themselves off site once a week to get a little ice time. I have observed discussions about some schools having open/public skating where the only ones on the ice are hockey players. Maybe someone can tell me if this practice has occured in the past. Many schools schedule games just a few days after the official start of the season on 10-15.
          2009-2010 Last Person Standing winner
          2009-2010 Interlock LPS winner

Comment

from my experience only 83-87 at Oz we got on the ice I would say a week or so b4 the coach was aloud on the ice,basically we scrimmaged and beat the crap out of each other or should I say the freshmen and transfers to see what they were made of...that said I am pretty sure the coach was also sitting in the stands ...dont know the particulars as to what happens but it probably goes something like that now-a-days......

Comment

Originally posted by bakdraft21 View Post
              from my experience only 83-87 at Oz we got on the ice I would say a week or so b4 the coach was aloud on the ice,basically we scrimmaged and beat the crap out of each other or should I say the freshmen and transfers to see what they were made of...that said I am pretty sure the coach was also sitting in the stands ...dont know the particulars as to what happens but it probably goes something like that now-a-days......
              The rule forbids the coach from being in view of the action - believe or not. There can be a staff member present for "safety purposes." It would be a huge surprise if the "safety" guy weren't given instructions by the coach as to what to observe and report on. There are many ways around the NCAA rules...But don't ever call it "captain's practice." The very name is against the rules.

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                The rule forbids the coach from being in view of the action - believe or not. There can be a staff member present for "safety purposes." It would be a huge surprise if the "safety" guy weren't given instructions by the coach as to what to observe and report on. There are many ways around the NCAA rules...But don't ever call it "captain's practice." The very name is against the rules.
                could the coach watch film of the "preseason on ice gatherings"?
                http://www.patriottreeco.com

Comment

Originally posted by OSU2010 View Post
                  could the coach watch film of the "preseason on ice gatherings"?
                  No - they can't be filmed.

Comment

Originally posted by bakdraft21 View Post
                    I have seen a few pre-season Norwich's practies over the years and have never observed a Norwich coach at any of them. I am not sure arout other schools?
                    2009-2010 Last Person Standing winner
                    2009-2010 Interlock LPS winner

Comment

Captain Practices or "skates" do not exist.....
                      LETS GO BEARS!

"Never play flag football in the nude"-Bob Kevoian

"Don't let anyone tell you what we do builds character, it only reveals it." J.Marsh

SUNY Potsdam '98

St.Lawrence '00

Mike St. Louis is not a BUM!

Comment

Originally posted by Saints17 View Post
                        Captain Practices or "skates" do not exist.....
                        Only because the NCAA deems a Captain's Practice to be a mandatory team function, and these preseason ice-times cannot be "mandatory." (Although every player fully understands that the captains' reports on their participation in these sessions will likely influence the coach's decisions about ice time and such.)
                        Plattsburgh CARDINALS
                        SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
                        ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
                        NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
                        NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
                        NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
                        NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Getting ready.....

*****https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/c67.0.403.403/p403x403/284310_260285187425884_1545175671_n.jpg******
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                            Getting ready.....

*****https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/c67.0.403.403/p403x403/284310_260285187425884_1545175671_n.jpg******
                            Beautiful sight! Can't wait to see that rink in person this year.
                            The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                            "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                            GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                            GO LAKERS!!!
                            GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                            "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                            Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                              Beautiful sight! Can't wait to see that rink in person this year.
                              Looks a lot like Kreitzberg, except for the glass, don't you think?

Comment

Working...
                              X