2012-2013 North Dakota Hockey: Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012-2013 North Dakota Hockey: Season Thread

So I thought with the season just a few weeks away (and the other thread discussing everything but the product on the ice), that I would start up the season thread.

I always like to start off the season thread with my expectations for the squad:
    1) A top 2 finish in the WCHA - I think this season really comes down to Minnesota and North Dakota fighting for the MacNaughton. The Gophers have the far easier schedule, so they certainly have the advantage (not to mention the lone series between the teams is at Mariucci). That being said, there is no reason this team should finish below second, and could very well win the MacNaughton one last time.

2) Make the Final Five Championship Game - Assuming this team gets a #1 or #2 seed, they should have no issues with getting to the Final Five and winning a game. I would love to see this squad four-peat, and I think they actually will. That being said, winning the Final Five is probably a bit too much to expect from any team, so I will leave it at playing for the title.

3) Make the NCAA Tournament - This is almost a no-brainer, but shouldn't be overlooked. This team is talented, and they should be able to garner a Top seed if they play up to expectations.

4) Frozen Four Appearance - This is a bit of a stretch for an expectation because the NCAA Tournament is so unpredictable, but I think North Dakota has the talent and ability to make it back to the Frozen Four this season. Anything less would be somewhat of a disappointment, so I threw it in the expectations category.

5) 25-28 wins - Our OOC schedule is a little more difficult this year (2 up in Alaska, BU, @ Notre Dame, Holy Cross), but we should be able to win 5 of those games. Throw in that in the WCHA 1st or 2nd place usually is somewhere around 34-40 points (equivalent to 17-20 wins). Throw in a first round WCHA win and a win at the Final Five, and that gets us to 25-28 wins.

So then, what equals exceeds expectations?

1) Winning the MacNaughton
    2) Winning the Final Five
    3) Winning the National Championship
    4) 30+ wins

This team is talented enough to accomplish all of these goals. It certainly should be a whole lot of fun this season watching this team develop and seeing some of the new talent on the ice. Hopefully it ends the way it started...with a giant party, but this time on the ice in Pittsburgh.
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post

4) 30+ wins
    5) Most of the players staying eligible!
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Re: 2012-2013 North Dakota Hockey: Season Thread

Originally posted by D2D View Post
      5) Most of the players staying eligible!
      Thankfully Minors and DUIs don't make you ineligible.
      Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
      when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
      Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
        However, getting drunk at a team party and getting a season ending injury does...
        Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
        Originally posted by Quizmire
        mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
        MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
        MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
        I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
          However, getting drunk at a team party and getting a season ending injury does...
          Well...he's not ineligible. Bjugstad would have played through it and scored 50 goals...in October.
          North Dakota

Comment

Well...he's not ineligible. Bjugstad would have played through it and scored 50 goals...in October.
            Sure he is...he's medically ineligible.
            Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
            Originally posted by Quizmire
            mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
            MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
            MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
            I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

So I thought with the season just a few weeks away (and the other thread discussing everything but the product on the ice), that I would start up the season thread.

I always like to start off the season thread with my expectations for the squad:
              1) A top 2 finish in the WCHA - I think this season really comes down to Minnesota and North Dakota fighting for the MacNaughton. The Gophers have the far easier schedule, so they certainly have the advantage (not to mention the lone series between the teams is at Mariucci). That being said, there is no reason this team should finish below second, and could very well win the MacNaughton one last time.

2) Make the Final Five Championship Game - Assuming this team gets a #1 or #2 seed, they should have no issues with getting to the Final Five and winning a game. I would love to see this squad four-peat, and I think they actually will. That being said, winning the Final Five is probably a bit too much to expect from any team, so I will leave it at playing for the title.

3) Make the NCAA Tournament - This is almost a no-brainer, but shouldn't be overlooked. This team is talented, and they should be able to garner a Top seed if they play up to expectations.

4) Frozen Four Appearance - This is a bit of a stretch for an expectation because the NCAA Tournament is so unpredictable, but I think North Dakota has the talent and ability to make it back to the Frozen Four this season. Anything less would be somewhat of a disappointment, so I threw it in the expectations category.

5) 25-28 wins - Our OOC schedule is a little more difficult this year (2 up in Alaska, BU, @ Notre Dame, Holy Cross), but we should be able to win 5 of those games. Throw in that in the WCHA 1st or 2nd place usually is somewhere around 34-40 points (equivalent to 17-20 wins). Throw in a first round WCHA win and a win at the Final Five, and that gets us to 25-28 wins.

4) 30+ wins

This team is talented enough to accomplish all of these goals. It certainly should be a whole lot of fun this season watching this team develop and seeing some of the new talent on the ice. Hopefully it ends the way it started...with a giant party, but this time on the ice in Pittsburgh.

I am pretty surprised that a UND fan would be whining about other teams having an easier schedule. You have brought this up many times recently. Just stop. It was explained to me by many UND fans in the past that whining like that when UND had a really easy schedule was wrong, so I expect they will also come on here and tell you the same. Just warning you.
              XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
              Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
                I am pretty surprised that a UND fan would be whining about other teams having an easier schedule. You have brought this up many times recently. Just stop. It was explained to me by many UND fans in the past that whining like that when UND had a really easy schedule was wrong, so I expect they will also come on here and tell you the same. Just warning you.
                I'm scared

I don't think I was whining. I have stated elsewhere that I think these two squads are essentially even when it comes to talent. When that is the case, one must look to intangibles to separate as far as league standings are concerned. Fact is, North Dakota (on paper) plays a more difficult schedule than Minnesota, and the lone series between the two teams is in Minnesota. Consequently, that is why I think Minnesota should be favored to win the MacNaughton, and why my expectation is for this team to at least finish in the top 2. Had the situation been the reverse, I would say the same thing (i.e. North Dakota and Minnesota are pretty even on talent, but w/North Dakota's schedule being easier they should win).

North Dakota's WCHA schedule (using last year's conference standings):
                2 @ #1 Minnesota
                2 @ #3 Denver
                2 @ #5 CC
                2 @ #6 SCSU
                2 @ #7 UNO
                2 @ #8 Tech
                2 @ #11 Minnesota State
                2 vs #2 Duluth
                2 vs #3 Denver
                2 vs #5 CC
                2 vs #6 SCSU
                2 vs #9 Bemidji
                2 vs #10 Wisconsin
                2 vs #12 Anchorage

Road:
                8 games against top half teams, and only 2 against the bottom quarter

Overall:
                16 games against the top half of the league (8 on the road), and only 6 against the bottom quarter.

North Dakota's average game: (1 being most difficult, 12 being the easiest)
                6.285 (if you take Minnesota out then it is 6.615)

Minnesota's WCHA Schedule:
                2 @ #5 CC
                2 @ #6 SCSU
                2 @ #8 Tech
                2 @ #9 Bemidji
                2 @ #10 Wisconsin
                2 @ #11 Mankato
                2 @ #12 Anchorage
                2 vs #2 Duluth
                2 vs #3 Denver
                2 vs #4 North Dakota
                2 vs #7 Nebraska Omaha
                2 vs #10 Wisconsin
                2 vs #11 Mankato
                2 vs #12 Anchorage

Road:
                0 games against Top-third teams, 4 games against top half teams, and 6 games against bottom quarter

Overall:
                10 games against top half teams, and 12 games against bottom quarter

Minnesota's average game:
                7.85 (if you take North Dakota out then it is 8.15)

In other words, North Dakota averages a game against the #6 team in conference, while Minnesota averages a game against the #8 team in conference. Granted, these numbers are using last year's rankings, which are not exactly fair, but even if you assumed that North Dakota's schedule and Minnesota's schedule were basically equal, the fact that the Gophers host North Dakota tips the scales ever-so-slightly in their favor, assuming the teams are equal (which I do).

You can call it whining, but I simply used schedules to tip the balance one way or the other in determining who I thought would win the MacNaughton this year. We really won't know until the end of the year who played the harder schedule. I certainly don't blame Minnesota for having what I perceive to be the easier schedule...they are made up far in advance. In 2010-2011 North Dakota benefited from having an easier schedule than Denver (where I thought the teams were very similar in talent). It happens, but don't tell me that I can't use schedules to determine where I think teams will land in the conference standing.
                North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
                  That's actually pretty funny - Harpy calling out somebody else for whining. He's the all time champ.
                  Fighting Sioux Forever

Comment

Originally posted by MadTownSioux View Post
                    That's actually pretty funny - Harpy calling out somebody else for whining. He's the all time champ.
                    Bingo.
                    Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

Subscribed!
                      AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                        Depends if said players are on double secret probation or not.
                        Contributing Editor and College Hockey Writer at Inside Hockey
                        Eric's Twitter
                        The Sin Bin The Sports Daily

Comment

I'm scared

I don't think I was whining. I have stated elsewhere that I think these two squads are essentially even when it comes to talent. When that is the case, one must look to intangibles to separate as far as league standings are concerned. Fact is, North Dakota (on paper) plays a more difficult schedule than Minnesota, and the lone series between the two teams is in Minnesota. Consequently, that is why I think Minnesota should be favored to win the MacNaughton, and why my expectation is for this team to at least finish in the top 2. Had the situation been the reverse, I would say the same thing (i.e. North Dakota and Minnesota are pretty even on talent, but w/North Dakota's schedule being easier they should win).

North Dakota's WCHA schedule (using last year's conference standings):
                          2 @ #1 Minnesota
                          2 @ #3 Denver
                          2 @ #5 CC
                          2 @ #6 SCSU
                          2 @ #7 UNO
                          2 @ #8 Tech
                          2 @ #11 Minnesota State
                          2 vs #2 Duluth
                          2 vs #3 Denver
                          2 vs #5 CC
                          2 vs #6 SCSU
                          2 vs #9 Bemidji
                          2 vs #10 Wisconsin
                          2 vs #12 Anchorage

Road:
                          8 games against top half teams, and only 2 against the bottom quarter

Overall:
                          16 games against the top half of the league (8 on the road), and only 6 against the bottom quarter.

North Dakota's average game: (1 being most difficult, 12 being the easiest)
                          6.285 (if you take Minnesota out then it is 6.615)

Minnesota's WCHA Schedule:
                          2 @ #5 CC
                          2 @ #6 SCSU
                          2 @ #8 Tech
                          2 @ #9 Bemidji
                          2 @ #10 Wisconsin
                          2 @ #11 Mankato
                          2 @ #12 Anchorage
                          2 vs #2 Duluth
                          2 vs #3 Denver
                          2 vs #4 North Dakota
                          2 vs #7 Nebraska Omaha
                          2 vs #10 Wisconsin
                          2 vs #11 Mankato
                          2 vs #12 Anchorage

Road:
                          0 games against Top-third teams, 4 games against top half teams, and 6 games against bottom quarter

Overall:
                          10 games against top half teams, and 12 games against bottom quarter

Minnesota's average game:
                          7.85 (if you take North Dakota out then it is 8.15)

In other words, North Dakota averages a game against the #6 team in conference, while Minnesota averages a game against the #8 team in conference. Granted, these numbers are using last year's rankings, which are not exactly fair, but even if you assumed that North Dakota's schedule and Minnesota's schedule were basically equal, the fact that the Gophers host North Dakota tips the scales ever-so-slightly in their favor, assuming the teams are equal (which I do).

You can call it whining, but I simply used schedules to tip the balance one way or the other in determining who I thought would win the MacNaughton this year. We really won't know until the end of the year who played the harder schedule. I certainly don't blame Minnesota for having what I perceive to be the easier schedule...they are made up far in advance. In 2010-2011 North Dakota benefited from having an easier schedule than Denver (where I thought the teams were very similar in talent). It happens, but don't tell me that I can't use schedules to determine where I think teams will land in the conference standing.
                          Except this isn't last season, so I don't know how much sense it makes to use last year's standings. For instance, Minnesota plays Wisconsin 4 times, and I know we are both in agreement that they will be much tougher this season than a 10th place team. CC, on the other hand, shouldn't be as strong as a 5th place team. And so on.

I haven't done the math, but based upon my predicted conference standings, UND has the tougher road schedule and Minnesota the tougher home schedule.
                          Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 09-21-2012, 09:12 AM.
                          @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                          On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                          High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Interesting - things I didn't know.
                            If you go to the NCAA Schools page for UND,
                            http://www.ncaa.com/schools/north-dakota
                            They are listed as belonging to the Eastern College Athletic Conference for both Men's and Women's ice hockey.
                            Fighting Sioux Forever

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                              Except this isn't last season, so I don't know how much sense it makes to use last year's standings. For instance, Minnesota plays Wisconsin 4 times, and I know we are both in agreement that they will be much tougher this season than a 10th place team. CC, on the other hand, shouldn't be as strong as a 5th place team. And so on.

I haven't done the math, but based upon my predicted conference standings, UND has the tougher road schedule and Minnesota the tougher home schedule.
                              Like I said in my post, using last year's numbers isn't exactly fair. We'll find out at the end of the season who had the more difficult schedule, but I still perceive Minnesota as having a slightly easier schedule. IMO the Gophers pod (Wisconsin, Mankato, Anchorage) is easier than North Dakota's (SCSU, Denver, CC). I do think you characterized the situation fairly accurately (i.e. North Dakota has a tougher road schedule/Minnesota tougher home), but I think we both would agree that we would rather our teams play the more difficult games at home than on the road.
                              North Dakota

Comment

Working...
                              X