X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2012-2013 North Dakota Hockey: Season Thread

Originally posted by MissSioux85 View Post
    A few of my recommendations:

-Blue Moose (located across the river in downtown East Grand Forks), 40 beers on tap, extensive menu

-Rhombus Guys pizza (located downtown Grand Forks), The T-Rex pizza has been voted the best pizza in town for the last 4-5 years.

-JL Beers (dozens of imported and domestic beers, burgers made to order, fresh cut fries and chips). The place is tiny so get there early.

Also downtown, Joe Blacks and The Toasted Frog
    I would add Marcos Pizza to the Mix as well.
    Contributing Editor and College Hockey Writer at Inside Hockey
    Eric's Twitter
    The Sin Bin The Sports Daily

Comment

Originally posted by UNDBIZ View Post
      The Red Pepper is a great place to go. Order at the counter, the food is made to order, and you should be able to get out of there spending less than $10. ......
      I have never understood why everyone thinks that the Red Pepper is that great? I have friends that order their subs for the Final Five every year. Honestly, I would rather eat at Green Mill, Space Aliens, Texas Road House, Ruby Tuesday's. I think Jimmy Johns has better subs than them.
      Contributing Editor and College Hockey Writer at Inside Hockey
      Eric's Twitter
      The Sin Bin The Sports Daily

Comment

• Originally posted by Goon View Post
        I have never understood why everyone thinks that the Red Pepper is that great? I have friends that order their subs for the Final Five every year. Honestly, I would rather eat at Green Mill, Space Aliens, Texas Road House, Ruby Tuesday's. I think Jimmy Johns has better subs than them.
        Nostalgia.
        "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
        Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
        The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
        Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

Originally posted by Goon View Post
          CC is right that it is largely a matter of nostalgia. When out of state/town hockey fans ask for recommendations, I'm inclined to think one thing they are after is an experience that is unique to GF and UND hockey. Red Pepper probably doesn't have the best sandwiches in town anymore (they did in 1971 IMO), but the Univ Ave store at least has remained unchanged through so many generations of students and fans that it is a worthwhile experience. Now, if a a visitor from Brooklyn eats there without understanding why Red Pepper is unique or without caring about that angle, they will probably go away disappointed. I'm sure many of you locals are shoulder shruggy about the place too.

Comment

• Thanks for all the help guys, and sorry for derailing your thread.

I'll be spreading rep tomorrow when I'm bored in the office pulling a long day to make up for hurricane related closures earlier this week.

Comment

I am of that camp. I get nostalgia/specific experience, too. Hence, I love Val's (St Cloud) and Casa Bonita (Denver). Red Pepper doesn't even reach that, IMO. I was disappointed. I wished that it could be that special place that you would never visit otherwise. Red Pepper failed.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I'd rather eat a local place on a road trip than all those chain places. Don't know why but I love Red Pepper. Actually I lied, I love the very high salt content
                tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                  I'd rather eat a local place on a road trip than all those chain places. Don't know why but I love Red Pepper. Actually I lied, I love the very high salt content
                  No one should waste their time at the chains or at the Italian Moon, hit up the Parrot's Cay and Red Pepper it's everything you want in a road trip meal with the salt, saturated fat, burps, and diarrhea. Also, good to see you Biddy I feel like it hasn't been long enough.
                  "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
                  Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                    I am of that camp. I get nostalgia/specific experience, too. Hence, I love Val's (St Cloud) and Casa Bonita (Denver). Red Pepper doesn't even reach that, IMO. I was disappointed. I wished that it could be that special place that you would never visit otherwise. Red Pepper failed.
                    If you think Casa Bonita is even worth lookinig at, and don't like the Red Pepper, you have some serious issues.
                    Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

Originally posted by Siouxfaninseattle View Post
                      If you think Casa Bonita is even worth lookinig at, and don't like the Red Pepper, you have some serious issues.
                      Brent is part of the Boyfriend Bunch and thus is not permitted a dissenting view. Since the other two members didn't like Red Pepper, Brent isn't allowed to either.
                      Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                      when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                      Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

I don't think my request about breakfast places was answered........can anyone help a girl out? I am not a fan of hotel breakfasts.

Comment

Originally posted by cross cheque View Post
                          No one should waste their time at the chains or at the Italian Moon, hit up the Parrot's Cay and Red Pepper it's everything you want in a road trip meal with the salt, saturated fat, burps, and diarrhea. Also, good to see you Biddy I feel like it hasn't been long enough.
                          I cannot believe Dirty took me to the Italian Moon and not Casa Bonita or Parrot's Cay. And, uh, good to see you. I guess.
                          Last edited by Biddco; 10-31-2012, 12:08 PM.
                          tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                            I don't think my request about breakfast places was answered........can anyone help a girl out? I am not a fan of hotel breakfasts.
                            Originally posted by Mike Rane View Post
                            Darcy's Cafe on N. Washington. North Side Cafe and Big Sioux aren't too bad either.
                            Originally posted by UNDBIZ View Post
                            For breakfast hit up the Big Sioux cafe in the Flying J truckstop (south end of town just off the interstate) or Gramma Butterwicks on Washington St. The Aaltos Cafe in the Canad Inn actually has a pretty decent breakfast also.
                            Originally posted by PhatKroger10 View Post
                            Most people would recommend the Big Sioux Cafe, but I've never been.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                              Dakota Harvest is really good and probably more along the line of what you would be looking for, their baked oatmeal is amazing. Located on the corner of 3rd st and 1st ave downtown.

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                                I cannot believe Dirty took me to the Italian Moon and not Casa Bonita or Parrot's Cay. And, uh, good to see you. I guess.
                                Cada Bonita is in Denver you twatmonkey. I'm not taking you there.
                                Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                                when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                                Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Working...
                                X