This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colgate 2012-13

Warm up your engines, I am cautiously optimistic. We lost our two leading scorers but seem to have some talent in our freshman recruits. The forwards coming in have incredible numbers however the league they played in is supposedly not as strong as the USHL or the BCHL(what other posters have relayed here).

The early word is that they are small but very fast and talented. I'm sure there will be growing pains but hopefully we will be competitive and exciting to watch.

Defense should be talented with Price, Larkin, Sinz(who improved incredibly last year)and Galakos who really surprised me. Two frosh coming in were First team all stars in above league. Should be fine.

Mihalik is solid but not exceptional, we need him to step it up and really have a banner year. It all starts with the goaltending.

We'll know very soon as the scheduling is very tough, right out for two at Miami and then Bowling Green home for two. Interested to her what you think. Get her going !
    Last edited by sshablak; 09-20-2012, 06:02 AM.
    It all starts with the goaltending.

Re: Colgate 2012-13

First poster -- yes!! ;-) Let's go 'gate!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
      Evin is solid but not exceptional, we need him to step it up and really have a banner year. It all starts with the goaltending.
      Evin? You mean Mihalik?

Comment

Just checking in. Thanks for getting the new thread started Shabby. Looking forward to seeing what the freshmen can do. Yes, there will be growing pains, but hopefully by January they will have some experience and we can make a run.
        COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

Oops...too early in am.

Comment

Really, the biggest question coming into the season, much like it was last season - who is going to score goals?

Calculating quickly, the players that are not returning accounted for 78 goals last season of 121 total - that's nearly two-thirds of CU's total offense. Austin Smith and Chris Wagner alone scored 53 of those 78 goals.

The top returning scorer is Robbie Bourdon; he tallied 12 times last year. Joe Wilson, playing alongside Austin Smith and Chris Wagner, totaled 10. After that, no returning player scored more than five goals.

Colgate also has to replace just about two full lines as of the top two lines last season, Joe Wilson is the only player returning.

The freshmen will certainly be counted upon to share some of the scoring load with the returning players.

Comment

You're scaring me !

Comment

I think Lidgett, Bartliff, and Bourdon are gonna have break out years and Wilson is going to keep his improvement with 15-17 goals. I expect some of the freshmen to step it up. We might need to win 2-1 or 3-2 games but I have faith in the team...
                Hockeyenthusiast

Colgate Class of '03

-I saw Andy McDonald play at Starr Rink.

Comment

I'm not trying to worry anyone, I just think that the fans will need to be a little more patient with this year's team because it is so young and there will be growing pains (maybe not at first but there will be some nights). This team reminds me some of the 2008-2009 squad which set a Division I record with 19 overtime games. The year before (07-08), the team was loaded with seniors and had great players that seemed to score big goal after big goal - Tyler Burton, Jesse Winchester, etc.

That said, this team does have advantages over the 08-09 team - an experienced goaltender that has been a two-year starter and has won playoff games and overall playoff series and there is a strong overall freshmen class. This group overall also can be more offensive whereas some of the parts of the class that just graduated took time to develop.

Another key point for this team will be health with just 21 overall skaters which means just three scratches per night.

Comment

At least the "getting to know one another" period should be relatively short for the new guys! I think GR is right - probably going to be a bit rocky out the gate (npi) but I am hopeful. There are some returning parts on the team that I think have shown some real promise. Senior Bartliff and Bourdon have shown flashes and both Goulakos and Wilson looked good as Frosh (though some drop off for Wilson might be to be expected) Regardless - only one more hockey-less weekend - and that's a good thing!

Comment

This year could be a little dicey, but I am extremely excited about this team a year or two down the road. Every freshman is going to have to contribute early, this allows them critical ice time situations much earlier than most freshman get. That combined with Lidge, Wilson and Spiros experience from last year bodes well for the next 2 years.
                      The season opens in NEBRASKA!

Comment

9th in the Coaches' poll, 8th in the media poll. Given the fact that we lost about 2/3 of our total goals scored from last season, this isn't too surprising.

I'm optimistic about our incoming players, but we won't know what to expect from them until they take the ice. What really concerns me is that we only have 13 forwards on the roster (which means only 1 scratch per night). If someone gets injured, we're in trouble. This happened back in the 2008-09 season when we lost Wade Poplawski and had only 6 healthy defensemen for the rest of that season. Yet that team didn't give up and played in 19 overtime games, going 6-6-7 in the extra session.

That said, the "nucleus" of our next 3 seasons are being put into place. We've got Joe Wilson, John Lidgett, Darcy Murphy, and the Spink twins at forward, with Brendan Corcoran, Spiro Goulakos, Ryan Johnston and Kevin Lough on defense. Plus we still have Eric Mihalik in goal for the next 2 seasons. Can they all come together and gel this season? Maybe, maybe not. But are the building blocks being put into place for the 2013-14 season? Yes.
                        Colgate '09

Comment

Great article on 1990 asst capt Steve Spott http://news.ca.msn.com/ontario/kitch...oach-to-hockey

Comment

New commitment up on Heisenberg. Not a bad pick-up, former Boston University recruit that will be playing for a powerhouse EJHL program in New Hampshire.

Comment

I can't find much on our recruit Derek Freeman anywhere ? Good size is all I see.

Comment

Working...
                              X