This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Colgate 2012-13

So, the Yale-Gate game Friday was the first time I was able to see the team in person. My thoughts:

1) Our breakout is terrible. I know that Yale has a good, aggressive forecheck, but our constant inability to clear the zone is indefensible. And this is with three senior d-men. Relatedly, as I have been saying for the past few weeks, I think the key to the Class of '17 will be the quality of the d-men. And the goalie.

2) Speaking of which, I thought Mihalek was outstanding against Yale. Especially in the first period in which we were utterly dominated he really kept us in the game. Gotta think that he gets the starting nod on Friday.

3) I really wanted to pay attention to the Spink-Spink-Baun line to see what they're all about. The answer seemed to arrive in the third period as they absolutely controlled play every shift they were out there. What I found particularly interesting was that in my opinion Baun was the best player on the ice in that game for either team. He won pucks in the corner; he staked a claim to the front of the net; he consistently outmuscled opponents. I think it's important to note that Baun was far from the most ballyhooed player in our freshman class, and he has the potential to be quite the player. So, I will take a wait and see approach to the incoming class.

4) I LOVE that the aforementioned frosh line plays with serious edge. None of the them seem to mind mixing it up when necessary. It would be nice if we saw some of the same fire from the upperclassmen.

As for the game, result aside, it was a great college hockey game. We were terrible in the first, but Mihalek kept us in it. We righted the ship in the second and were unlucky that they cashed their only Grade A chance. We completely dominated the first ten minutes of the third; I cannot imagine us playing better. Then, just a terrible shift with about five minutes to go allowed them to tie. But even after that we had several good chances to re-take the lead. As for the game winner, it was just unfortunate. It bounced right off a stick to a Yale player. As it happened I thought, "uh oh, I hope he misses that." But he didn't. Being on the side with the Colgate supporters and seeing our reactions was tough. My favorite was the guy at center ice who threw up his hands, pointed out the time left on the scoreboard to his buddy and stormed out. Ugh; that kind of year.

What did other people who went to the game think?

Comment

Originally posted by Marmot View Post
      So, the Yale-Gate game Friday was the first time I was able to see the team in person. My thoughts:

1) Our breakout is terrible. I know that Yale has a good, aggressive forecheck, but our constant inability to clear the zone is indefensible. And this is with three senior d-men. Relatedly, as I have been saying for the past few weeks, I think the key to the Class of '17 will be the quality of the d-men. And the goalie.

2) Speaking of which, I thought Mihalek was outstanding against Yale. Especially in the first period in which we were utterly dominated he really kept us in the game. Gotta think that he gets the starting nod on Friday.

3) I really wanted to pay attention to the Spink-Spink-Baun line to see what they're all about. The answer seemed to arrive in the third period as they absolutely controlled play every shift they were out there. What I found particularly interesting was that in my opinion Baun was the best player on the ice in that game for either team. He won pucks in the corner; he staked a claim to the front of the net; he consistently outmuscled opponents. I think it's important to note that Baun was far from the most ballyhooed player in our freshman class, and he has the potential to be quite the player. So, I will take a wait and see approach to the incoming class.

4) I LOVE that the aforementioned frosh line plays with serious edge. None of the them seem to mind mixing it up when necessary. It would be nice if we saw some of the same fire from the upperclassmen.

As for the game, result aside, it was a great college hockey game. We were terrible in the first, but Mihalek kept us in it. We righted the ship in the second and were unlucky that they cashed their only Grade A chance. We completely dominated the first ten minutes of the third; I cannot imagine us playing better. Then, just a terrible shift with about five minutes to go allowed them to tie. But even after that we had several good chances to re-take the lead. As for the game winner, it was just unfortunate. It bounced right off a stick to a Yale player. As it happened I thought, "uh oh, I hope he misses that." But he didn't. Being on the side with the Colgate supporters and seeing our reactions was tough. My favorite was the guy at center ice who threw up his hands, pointed out the time left on the scoreboard to his buddy and stormed out. Ugh; that kind of year.

What did other people who went to the game think?
      Well, given that he's yet to lose a playoff series, he better...
      Hockeyenthusiast

Colgate Class of '03

-I saw Andy McDonald play at Starr Rink.

Comment

Marmot...was there as well and agree with your comments...I, too, like the edge on the freshmen and, as well, thought that Baun had spells where he dominated...I frankly DO NOT see that intensity with most of our seniors...Wilson has great speed...God grant us three studs on "D" next year...

Comment

Larkin drives me nuts...he's a fast skater with a good shot(and 6-5)...but...He could go in the corner with a dozen eggs and come out with none broken. Biting my lip for so long on here. Last time I mentioned that fact here he got a "bad" boarding call the very next game. I wonder if any players read these ??
          Corcoran was very bad this weekend also. I watched the "Yale feed" last Friday, it was crystal clear, the best I have seen this year. Unfortuneately they had a woman doing the game,she was not very good.
          Last edited by sshablak; 03-06-2013, 11:35 AM.
          It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Lough is a tremendous skater...dished out some "huge" hits even a hip check. Reminds me of a young Corey Murphy.
            It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
              Larkin drives me nuts...he's a fast skater with a good shot(and 6-5)...but...He could go in the corner with a dozen eggs and come out with none broken. Biting my lip for so long on here. Last time I mentioned that fact here he got a "bad" boarding call the very next game. I wonder if any players read these ??
              Corcoran was very bad this weekend also. I watched the "Yale feed" last Friday, it was crystal clear, the best I have seen this year. Unfortuneately they had a woman doing the game, not very good.
              What's the big deal with a female calling the game? Honestly, if she's good or at least passable, who cares? While I understand she had some problem with the Colgate names (Corcoran specifically), I don't think it's fair to throw her under the bus just because she's a female which is what it seems like you're doing. She's a student and she's doing her best. Not every school has professional radio people calling games - a handful of ECAC schools do not. If your assessment was just that the broadcaster was bad - that would be fine. No need to bring gender into it.

Besides, my "favorite" Yale announcer was the one that shrieked at the top of his lungs a few years ago during the St. Lawrence playoff series. For those that have forgotten, here's the video. http://www.ecachockey.com/men/video/...rs-desktop.flv

Comment

good point by 'Gate Radio and glad to see you're back...looks like only (at most) 8 coming next fall, assuming we can find another decent forward at this late date...we simply have to amend the rule that permits us to bring in only as many frosh as we lose from graduation (adjusted for a variety of circumstances)...this will leave us very shorthanded (again) next year, and then we'll be able to bring in 6 frosh in 2014-15 even though we retain only TWO juniors from their freshmen years...upgrading our facilities is great; don't get me wrong...many of us on this thread realize more is needed; in large measure it starts at the very top (President, Board of Trustees, etc.)...that's the bad news...the good news is that I think Vicky gets it...

Comment

Unfortuneately they had a woman doing the game, not very good.
                  Don't mess with Addy.
                  YALE HOCKEY
                  2013 National Champions

Comment

Corcoran was very bad this weekend also. I watched the "Yale feed" last Friday, it was crystal clear, the best I have seen this year. Unfortuneately they had a woman doing the game, not very good.
                    Someone obviously didn't take a look at her.

Comment

Originally posted by 'Gate Radio View Post
                      What's the big deal with a female calling the game? Honestly, if she's good or at least passable, who cares? While I understand she had some problem with the Colgate names (Corcoran specifically), I don't think it's fair to throw her under the bus just because she's a female which is what it seems like you're doing. She's a student and she's doing her best. Not every school has professional radio people calling games - a handful of ECAC schools do not. If your assessment was just that the broadcaster was bad - that would be fine. No need to bring gender into it.

Besides, my "favorite" Yale announcer was the one that shrieked at the top of his lungs a few years ago during the St. Lawrence playoff series. For those that have forgotten, here's the video. http://www.ecachockey.com/men/video/...rs-desktop.flv
                      It's not just Colgate; even the names of RPI's players were messed up, but you're absolutely correct that that should be the least of anyone's worries. I'm sure you could provide more than enough education on the prep work needed to even call a game, though. Don't you need to basically memorize the rosters, including how to say all of the names, so you can quickly look at a number and have the name roll off the tip of your tongue while trying to speak a mile a minute? I know when I did the morning announcements in high school, I'd have to read over the copy first to make sure I could say it in a clear and understandable fashion in a short amount of time.

Not everyone's going to sound like Rick Jeanneret in their first year; this sort of thing takes practice. I'm sure that by the time Addie's a senior, she'll not only be pleasing to the eyes, but also to the ears.

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                        Don't mess with Addy.
                        Her name's Addy? She did a wonderful job! Plus, she's kinda cute

And for those of you who want to see a real Homer of an announcer, just watch this video:
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jay_1-pJdaw
                        Colgate '09

Comment

Originally posted by Rainman View Post

And for those of you who want to see a real Homer of an announcer, just watch this video:
                          Addy is a nickname. Her given name is Adlon. As FD08 wrote, she butchered many of the RPI players' names also. However, when RPI was playing at Yale, besides for the rout being fun to watch and talk about, she was the main topic of conversation on the game thread. There also were comments about her on ELynah from the other game over the weekend.

I add, as I did on the eLynah thread, that she played hockey for Blake HS in Minnesota, so she should know something about the game, although she really should check the pronunciation guides that I think that all teams supply in the propaganda sheets that they hand out to the media.
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Rainman View Post

Adlon Adams is her name. Looks like she wasn't too bad of a player herself while in high school. http://www.maxpreps.com/athletes/nkj...dlon-adams.htm

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                              Adlon Adams is her name. Looks like she wasn't too bad of a player herself while in high school. http://www.maxpreps.com/athletes/nkj...dlon-adams.htm
                              That was a freshman season. She switched to defense later. Here are pages for her junior and senior years. The soph one is there somehere also.

Junior http://www.mngirlshockeyhub.com/rost...ubseason=16135
                              Senior http://www.mngirlshockeyhub.com/roster_players/333786
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Why in the world is this feed talking about the Yale play by play announcer? I understand the rpi guys getting into it as they have nothing else to discuss, with the bye. I feel oddly confident going into this week's matchup, we have played SLU very well in the playoffs (I was there when the assistant coach ripped the flag). having to go up north worries me a bit, but everyone plays on the same sheet of ice, no difference. I hope mihalik plays well. Win and move on lose and go home
                                Last edited by red133883; 03-05-2013, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X