X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Colgate 2012-13

Originally posted by GRussinko View Post
    Gotta love all that backstabbing that goes on in college hockey fandom. Thousands have died, stabbed in the back by us merciless RPI fans.

You realize the reference to Larkin on our thread comes directly from the 5 minute major he took in Troy for boarding Haggerty from behind at the final buzzer, don't you? Go watch the video if you want, it's online for all to see.

How's your prediction of RPI in the basement and Union #1 forever turning out? Gotta get your jabs in on other people's threads since you know better than to spew your bull**** on ours?

Sorry for the threadjack, Colgate folks.
    Never said that. Said Union will be ahead of RPI over the next 5 years+ and is a better program. I will wait until the season is over and let the teams decide where they finish before yapping, which is basically what your fans do. I dont go to your thread because its like watching 5 year old girls jump rope at recess. No one wins championships in February. I saw the hit and he was penalized for it. The furthest thing from being a punk is Tom Larkin.

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
      Never said that. Said Union will be ahead of RPI over the next 5 years+ and is a better program. I will wait until the season is over and let the teams decide where they finish before yapping, which is basically what your fans do. I dont go to your thread because its like watching 5 year old girls jump rope at recess. No one wins championships in February. I saw the hit and he was penalized for it. The furthest thing from being a punk is Tom Larkin.
      He received a major at the 20-minute mark of the third period and played the next night and all subsequent games. So, yes indeed he was penalized, but the only effect was 5 minutes on his total. It seemed to me to be a hit out of frustration at the end of a losing game. I can understand that, and I didn't call him a punk because of it since I know nothing about him, but I don't condone the hit, and hopefully Colgate fans agree with that. I think that he deserved a greater punishment based upon what the ECAC has done in other situations. I do also note that with 51 minutes of penalties this season, he has more penalty minutes than any RPI player. So although he probably isn't a punk, he isn't the furthest thing from it.

As to a comparison of RPI with Union, I won't discuss it on a Colgate thread.
      Last edited by Ralph Baer; 02-19-2013, 01:58 PM. Reason: corrected penalty minutes reference
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
        He received a major at the 20-minute mark of the third period and played the next night and all subsequent games. So, yes indeed he was penalized, but the only effect was 5 minutes on his total. It seemed to me to be a hit out of frustration at the end of a losing game. I can understand that, and I didn't call him a punk because of it since I know nothing about him, but I don't condone the hit, and hopefully Colgate fans agree with that. I think that he deserved a greater punishment based upon what the ECAC has done in other situations. I do also note that with 39 minutes of penalties this season, no RPI player has more than Larkin. So although he probably isn't a punk, he isn't the furthest thing from it.
        As to a comparison of RPI with Union, I won't discuss it on a Colgate thread.
        You think he deserved a greater punishment. Oh my God, an RPI fan thinks he should have been punished more. Stop the world and tell the league to change it. An RPI fan is not happy!

I will stick with the leagues ruling even though I am well aware of the fact that RPI fans know more than all others. Just ask them.

Larkin has more class than any kid in your program.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
          Check out the ECAC byes...a Mathematical scenario....by Burgie a thread here
          This was my main reference to the posts earlier. I know we all had feelings about the end of our last meeting (myself especially), primarily from a standpoint of league consistency because we were punished much more harshly for a similar play at a similar time. What's done is done, though; Saturday is when the chips fly. The post that I did make is from a purely mathematical standpoint with no subjection whatsoever. Given there are 3^24 different possible outcomes (win, loss, or tie; I understand they are not equally as likely), it's impossible to go through every one, so I tried to find at least one way to get there, as there are things that need to happen first in order to lessen the outcomes.

Comment

I wasn't sure you saw the thread...looked like you were doing all the unnessary work yourself. The guys amaze me with their exstrapolations.(sp)?
            It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
              I wasn't sure you saw the thread...looked like you were doing all the unnessary work yourself. The guys amaze me with their exstrapolations.(sp)?
              I certainly saw the thread; heck, you should take a look at who did the last analysis. I'm not as good as burgie12 to do the fancy math, but given he helps me with the schedules in the off-season, it's the least I can do while he is under the weather.

Comment

You know what's strange: we have two juniors on the roster. Two. I know Wagner turned pro early and some guys transferred, but that's crazy.

Comment

I agree with GreenCoat that the school really needs to investigate everything, including the coaches in charge of the recruiting. But to be fair to those same coaches, this year's freshman class has three 10 goal+ scorers with Tyson Spink having a legitimate shot at joining that club. In fact, five frosh have at least 14 points. And that doesn't even take into account that Lough and Johnston log plenty of minutes at D and Finney has claimed the #1 goalie job. One year in and I'd have to say that this year's class has the most potential for any class since who knows how long. That said, I am with GreenCoat in taking a measured look at how the 13-14 class turns out, taking a wait and see approach. If it's another solid class, I think due credit should be given to the recruiters.

Especially in light of the structural obstacles they must overcome as detailed perfectly and succinctly by GreenCoat in his last post.

The fact that a new $37 million arena has been greenlighted means the administration will take the hockey program seriously, right? Right???

Comment

Originally posted by Marmot View Post
                    You know what's strange: we have two juniors on the roster. Two. I know Wagner turned pro early and some guys transferred, but that's crazy.
                    Also, one of them is a goalie (Mihalik). This means only two seniors (or "leaders") next year. Why? There were six freshmen that joined the team in 2010. Three transferred out, and we all know what happened with Chris Wagner.

That said, if our recruiting classes are intended to "replace" graduating seniors, I sure hope that this means we see at least six recruits for 2014, when all is said and done. This will also alleviate our "lack of depth" issue.
                    Colgate '09

Comment

Article from today's Post-Standard talking about Goulakos's return to playing this weekend (and possibly more the rest of the season)

http://blog.syracuse.com/sports/2013...l#incart_river

Comment

Originally posted by Rjm7272 View Post
                        Article from today's Post-Standard talking about Goulakos's return to playing this weekend (and possibly more the rest of the season)

http://blog.syracuse.com/sports/2013...l#incart_river
                        Wow, the Post Slander actually covering hockey?!?!

Once again, though, I am REALLY happy to read that Goulakos is coming back. Great news. If he starts on Saturday, he certainly will not receive the traditional response from me (traditional response is what RPI does at HFH when it comes to the visiting team).

Comment

For fun, I found our three missing juniors.

Anthony Hamburg is playing just a bit further west on the Thruway putting up 3 goals and 7 assists in 25 games at RIT

Jack McNamara was a solid contributor to a bottom of the table team in the Danish premier league (5 goals, 7 Assists in 36 game - triple his output for 'Gate in 2 less games)

Max Fenkell is the #1 goal tender on the #4 DIII team, Bowdoin. He hasn't lost a game yet but did somehow manage to salvage a no decision out of this doozy: http://www.uscho.com/box/mens-hockey...in-vs-trinity/

for those of you who don't want to click over some highlights from that box score - final score 10 - 5, teams combined for 101 shots, 6 power play goals (including a 4x3 with 1 second left in the period), a 4x4 goal (12 seconds into the third) and a six goal 3rd period where all of he scoring was done before the period was half over!

Don't know why any of these guys left but not sure we lost any real leaders though I wonder whether Jack Mac could have developed into a contributor or not. I guess the real question is whether that class is an outlier or represents reason for concern. Sophomore class seems solid so far and the senior class has been good if not great. No transfers or losses from either to date. Maybe just an off year in that junior class.

Comment

thanks Marmot...it would be kind of sad if this year's freshmen class - that seems to be not only talented, but driven - is not complemented by subsequent recruits that can provide us with more than a .500 or so record in the future. As was well-stated by Marmot, the junior class will offer us an opportunity to bulk up the roster, add some talent (hopefully) and create competition for playing time. Next year does appear to be more problematic...assuming a return by Spiro (and that would be great in a number of obvious ways) we STILL appear to be looking at a roster of 20 skaters and 3 goalies...that's cutting it pretty close...too close in fact...I still only see 8 incoming next year, including one goalie...this "rule"- which I think has been verified by 'Gate Radio - is simply stupid and outdated at best. As for the discussion about Larkin...gee, it makes me look pollyannish by comparison...I'm supposed to be the irritating one on the board...

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenCoat View Post
                              thanks Marmot...it would be kind of sad if this year's freshmen class - that seems to be not only talented, but driven - is not complemented by subsequent recruits that can provide us with more than a .500 or so record in the future. As was well-stated by Marmot, the junior class will offer us an opportunity to bulk up the roster, add some talent (hopefully) and create competition for playing time. Next year does appear to be more problematic...assuming a return by Spiro (and that would be great in a number of obvious ways) we STILL appear to be looking at a roster of 20 skaters and 3 goalies...that's cutting it pretty close...too close in fact...I still only see 8 incoming next year, including one goalie...this "rule"- which I think has been verified by 'Gate Radio - is simply stupid and outdated at best. As for the discussion about Larkin...gee, it makes me look pollyannish by comparison...I'm supposed to be the irritating one on the board...
                              I've heard said that this year's frosh will be the first seniors to play in the new rink. Is this true? And if so, it means that the next recruiting class is more important than ever. We certainly need to have a solid team representing us once the new rink is opened.

No matter what your opinion of the Larkin hit, Saturday's game will be interesting

FWIW Dept: I propose that the name of the new rink be "Slater Arena" We've honored Starr for awhile and it's time to update.
                              COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

I don't want to sound insensitive, but why do we continue to have men's and women's track teams...that, along with rowing seem to be indulgences that, as we go forward, we should avoid...we can't be all things to everybody and, parallel to a contemplated decision to refine and reduce our cirriculum offerings, some intelligent retrenchments are necessary.

Comment

Working...
                                X