Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CCHA makes everyone else wait, kills 3rd place game

http://www.mlive.com/broncos/index.s...ckey_asso.html

Sorry everyone. Wait until 9pm Sunday to figure out where to go.
    "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Re: CCHA makes everyone else wait, kills 3rd place game

Originally posted by bronconick View Post

Or in some cases, if you even make it. Granted, we would usually know by Saturday evening, as the PWR is quite effective in determining who makes it (insert KRACH whining here).

Comment

Well, it's a long season, what's a few more hours?

At least they got rid of the third place game, which has always been infinitely stupid.
      Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
      The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
        Well, it's a long season, what's a few more hours?

At least they got rid of the third place game, which has always been infinitely stupid.
        Completely agree 3rd place games was a waste of time. I would have been ****ed to see my team in that game
        Rinks Visited
        DCU Center
        Tulley Forum
        TD Garden
        Tsongas Arena
        J. Thom Lawler Arena
        Conte Forum
        Whittemore Center
        Agganis Arena
        Verizon Center
        Gutterson Fieldhouse
        Matthews Arena
        Thompson Arena
        Mullins Center
        Alfond Arena
        Schneider Arena
        Magness Arena
        Ingallas Arena
        Hart Center
        Prudential Center
        TD Bank Sports Center
        John A Ryan
        Lynah Rink
        Appleton Arena
        Cheel Arena
        Germain Arena
        XL Center
        Class of 1965 Arena

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post

So the CCHA will exist for one more day than expected. It probably means that their commissioner gets an extra year of pay.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

The removal of a third-place games will make it harder for a CCHA team on the bubble of making the NCAA tournament and in need of a quality win to secure a spot in the national tournament.
            Situations where a team can play their way into the tournament by winning the third place game are roughly as likely as situations where a team can play their way out of the tournament by losing the third place game. And the only time I remember a CCHA 3rd place game being relevant was the time when Notre Dame would make the tournament if they won or lost, but not if they tied.

Comment

I guess the CCHA just wanted attention before its death next season. Positive of this change is those that live within a few hours of Detroit can easily get to all the championship games now and not miss part of the early Friday semi-final without having to take off work.

The elimination of the 3rd place game means less hockey But also, a team that has no chance to make the NCAA doesn't get stuck playing a meaningless (to them) 3rd place game.

As for waiting until 9 pm Sunday for the selection show...I don't like it. It won't bother me this year with my team hosting a regional and 2 regionals within a 2 hour drive from my house. I feel bad for anyone trying to make regional travel plans though (which will be me in future years if this 9 pm Sunday becomes typical).
              Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
              wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
              7 B1G
              7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
              6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
              5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
              5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
              2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
              2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by kdilks View Post
                Situations where a team can play their way into the tournament by winning the third place game are roughly as likely as situations where a team can play their way out of the tournament by losing the third place game. And the only time I remember a CCHA 3rd place game being relevant was the time when Notre Dame would make the tournament if they won or lost, but not if they tied.
                A couple years ago, we knocked ourselves out of the NCAAs by dropping the 3rd place game.
                FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Aww. No Walt Kyle Invitational this year.
                  “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

My new theory is that the CCHA office financial season runs through March 23. Now the league exists for one more year, now they all want to be paid for it.
                    "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

What a joke. Oh well. That pretty much sums up the league right there. That and the fact the commissioner's last gig was play-by-play.

It'll be nice seeing Michigan take home that trophy and the regular-season trophy for this league one last time. Then it's off to dominate the B1G!
                      ---
                      National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
                      Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
                      19 Conference Championships
                      10 Conference Tournament Championships
                      2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

The CCHA can't die fast enough . . . and yet they found a way to extend this rotting corpse for one more day -- just long enough to screw up the NCAA Sunday selection.

Comment

They had to push it back a day because the Red Wings were scheduled to play Dallas that Friday night. I wonder if they would move it back if that game doesn't end up happening?
                          Originally posted by dicaslover
                          Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                          Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
                            They had to push it back a day because the Red Wings were scheduled to play Dallas that Friday night. I wonder if they would move it back if that game doesn't end up happening?
                            Strong work by the CCHA working with the Wings. Yup, that is one close, great, mutually beneficial relationship. Darn good thing they never shopped around for any alternate sites of the CCHA Finals, because they had such a close and loving relationship with the 5,000 people who barely bothered to attend the CCHA Finals, right? The "Road to the Joe" has become a "Casual Walking path the Joe," sparsely populated with a few random Detroit suburbanites who got free tickets at a local gas station. Actually its pretty funny -- I mean, why would we EXPECT anything different than a rumbling Gong Show from this leadership (hahahahahaha) at the CCHA level. Again -- few tears will be shed when this rotting corpse of a league, this thundering pointless joke called the CCHA -- dies.

Comment

Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
                              What a joke. Oh well. That pretty much sums up the league right there. That and the fact the commissioner's last gig was play-by-play.

It'll be nice seeing Michigan take home that trophy and the regular-season trophy for this league one last time. Then it's off to dominate the B1G!
                              You mean those trophies that currently sit at Ferris and Western?
                              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Working...
                              X