7. St. Cloud State [6] - down 1
    8. Minnesota-Duluth [5] - down 3
    9. Colorado College [7] - down 2
    10. Bemidji State [11] - up 1
    11. Minnesota State [10] - down 1
    12. Alaska-Anchorage [12] - same

Comment

• Originally posted by Dirty View Post
      Why would I pick them to finish higher in the WCHA than they'll have total goals?
      Goals will be premium for teams in the middle of the league.
      tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

• Re: 2012-13 WCHA Thread:Breaking Up is Hard to Do

Originally posted by UpNorthHockey View Post
        My picks:

1. Minnesota [1] - same
        2. North Dakota [2] - same
        3. Wisconsin [4] - up 1
        4. Denver [3] - down 1
        5. Nebraska-Omaha [8] - up 3
        6. Michigan Tech [9] - up 3
        7. St. Cloud State [6] - down 1
        8. Minnesota-Duluth [5] - down 3
        9. Colorado College [7] - down 2
        10. Bemidji State [11] - up 1
        11. Minnesota State [10] - down 1
        12. Alaska-Anchorage [12] - same
        Nah, for the first time in several years, our top scorers (such as they are) are coming back. There's a new coach with a new system. Teddy Blueger is probably the most promising recruit at MSU since Backes. I'm not expecting a top-half finish, but we'll be better than 11th this year.
        My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

• Originally posted by MavsFan View Post
          Nah, for the first time in several years, our top scorers (such as they are) are coming back. There's a new coach with a new system. Teddy Blueger is probably the most promising recruit at MSU since Backes. I'm not expecting a top-half finish, but we'll be better than 11th this year.
          I wouldn't be surprised by a top half finish either.
          @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
          On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
          High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
            I wouldn't be surprised either. I'd be shocked.

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
              If that happens, who do they kick out of the top half? UNO or Tech likely?

Comment

Originally posted by MavsFan View Post
                Blueger is a hot property.....I guess I'm still smarting from the drumming Bemidji gave Tech last season. Good to hear that the Mavs are bouncing back.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tiggsy View Post
                  If that happens, who do they kick out of the top half? UNO or Tech likely?
                  They would have to probably pass both. I have Mankato in my bottom third, but I can realistically see them finishing anywhere between 6-10. I think they have improved enough where I don't think they will be battling to stay out of the cellar. They have a great sophomore class, and some really good incoming recruits. If they get an immediate impact from their freshmen, they could challenge for the last home ice spot IMO.

Comment

4-11 is a total crapshoot. You could see any team fall within those spots. Here are my picks:

1. UMTC Easiest pick sadly...
                    2. UND - Typical UND team, they reload
                    3. DU Same for DU
                    4. Wisconsin - You'd figure a team wouldn't be terrible three years in a row...right?
                    5. MTU - I think they build off of last year and get home ice
                    6. SCCC - Still a home ice team...not buying them placing in the top four like some.
                    7. UMD - I just don't think we will get home ice. I'll be hoping and rooting for it but I think goaltending will do us in.
                    8. MSU-M Should be much improved
                    9. UNO - Putting them this low feels wrong.
                    10. CC - ... We shall see.
                    11. BSU - What talent do they have left?
                    12. UAA - Second easiest pick
                    tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

I'm really gonna miss this conference. I love the dark side, the strength, conference wide, the historic rivalries, even the perpetual lies from gopher fans.
                      Last edited by burd; 09-27-2012, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Stolen from a UND fan at another board regarding UM's place in the WCHA this year:

1. UM: Defending league champs have most players back. Everyone is questioning the goaltending, but Kent Patterson put up very average, if not below average, numbers for much of last year (.894 save percentage from Thanksgiving on). The new goalie won’t see a lot of rubber and shouldn’t have a difficult time replicating that.
                        fwiw of course, but it is something I didn't realize nor consider when thinking about the future in net.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                          Stolen from a UND fan at another board regarding UM's place in the WCHA this year:

fwiw of course, but it is something I didn't realize nor consider when thinking about the future in net.
                          It's from Schlossman's picks, and he's absolutely right. Patterson started out red hot, but cooled off as the season progressed. The Gopher's team defense played a large part in our defensive success last season IMO. If Wilcox only sees ~20-25 shots a game (last season opponents averaged 24.9), I don't think the Gophers see much drop-off defensively.

Comment

Pretty good scouting report on Wilcox from @SiouxTradition

Adam Wilcox, G, Minnesota
                            Vitals: 6' 0" - 183 lbs - 11/26/1992
                            Hometown: South St. Paul, MN
                            Previous Team: Tri-City Storm (USHL)

Wilcox is a South St. Paul native who returns home following two years in the USHL. He spent the 2010-11 season with the Green Bay Gamblers, where he posted a 2.20 GAA and .922 Save Percentage in 24 games. He played in nine games with Green Bay (2.27 GAA, .918 Sv %) during the 2011-12 season before being traded to the Tri-City Storm. In 34 games with the Storm, the 2011 draft pick of the Tampa Bay Lightning (6th Round, 178th Overall) produced a 2.91 GAA and .916 Save Percentage.

Wilcox is an average sized, athletic goaltender who displays good quickness and agility. He controls his rebounds well and is not afraid to engage in an aggressive brand of goaltending. With the cast of returning players Minnesota will be able to surround him with, it will not be too often that Wilcox will be called upon to stand on his head and steal a win. He does, however, possess the ability to step into the goaltending spotlight as a freshman and deliver key minutes for a team poised to make a run at a national championship.

Read Article

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post

Patterson was a quality goaltender last year. Nothing more, nothing less.
                              He made the majority of saves he was supposed to make. His positioning and rebound control was good. But he didn't make many of those dynamic saves or steal any game last year. There weren't many (if any) games MN won last year where you could say, "that was Patterson's win", but there were a couple where you could say "If the goaltending hadn't struggled so much, MN would have won".

Don't get me wrong, I'd be thrilled to have the consistency in goal this year that we had last year. Just because with the skaters MN has returning, consistency is all it *should* take to make the Gophers a premier team in the nation. But I think a big chunk of that consistency last year had more to do with team defense than it did with the elite play of Patterson.

Comment

• Originally posted by burd View Post
                                I'm really gonna miss this conference. I love the dark side, the strength, conference wide, the historic rivalries, even the perpetual lies from gopher fans.
                                this. Except for St, Clouud and DU.
                                Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                                "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                                Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                                Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Working...
                                X