Harvard Crimson 2012-2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harvard Crimson 2012-2013

No one else has started a thread for the new season so I thought I would start one.

Both the Globe and the Harvard Crimson had articles today about the fact that one of the leading basketball players has withdrawn from Harvard due to the Gov1310 scandal and the Globe indicated that there is expected to be an impact on football.

I am hoping no impact on Harvard Hockey. Does anyone know??

Re: Harvard Crimson 2012-2013

In other news, the NHL CSS has put out its 2013 draft watch lists. According to INCH, four Harvard recruits are among the listed prospects and (by my quick count) only Michigan has more current/future listed. (Boston College, Denver and Minnesota also have four guys each.)

Comment

Originally posted by Veritas View Post
      No one else has started a thread for the new season so I thought I would start one.

Both the Globe and the Harvard Crimson had articles today about the fact that one of the leading basketball players has withdrawn from Harvard due to the Gov1310 scandal and the Globe indicated that there is expected to be an impact on football.

I am hoping no impact on Harvard Hockey. Does anyone know??
      I was wondering the same thing. I'm crossing my fingers that the hockey team comes out of this unscathed. We should know pretty soon if anyone from the team is in trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
        In other news, the NHL CSS has put out its 2013 draft watch lists. According to INCH, four Harvard recruits are among the listed prospects and (by my quick count) only Michigan has more current/future listed. (Boston College, Denver and Minnesota also have four guys each.)
        In looking at the list, Harvard has only one recruit listed as a possible second or third round NHL draft pick (Ellis). Cornell has three listed as possible second or third round picks. The rest of Harvard recruits fall into the lower rung draft rounds so I wouldn't get too charged up about it. Still, it is better than not having any recruits listed as being draft prospects I suppose.

Comment

Looked at our schedule for this year and noticed that we are on TV (NBCSN) at Cornell and at Yale. My guess is that if the NHL is locked out for the entire season, we could see a few more games on NBC as they will have to fill their schedule and the ECAC does not have a formal TV contract. HE and the Big Ten already have committed telecasts so this is a big opportunity for the ECAC to get some quality exposure.

Comment

Crimsoneers,

I have started a blog, PointsofEmphasis.com, that I will occasionally use to share my thoughts on college hockey throughout the season. (That's the plan, anyway.) Given how closely I plan to follow Harvard, I'm sure I'll have more to say about the Crimson than any other team. I'm posting my preseason top 20 in installments this week.

Comment

Northeastern has 6 players on the list.
              Northeastern Huskies

Beanpot Champions: 2018, 2019
              Hockey East Champions: 2016, 2019

Comment

Originally posted by SkinsFan09 View Post
                Northeastern has 6 players on the list.
                Well, there you go. Michigan and Northeastern with more.

Comment

FWIW, from the Bentley forum:

Originally posted by schiegs View Post
                  My tix for the Harvard game arrived this weekend. I am predicting a big Bentley turnout for this game as it is 1.) close to campus with plenty of transportation options 2.) Bentley Homecoming weekend 3.) Harvard.
                  Originally posted by FalconsNest View Post
                  Bentley has in the works a ticket package including transportation, tix, and a tshirt for $14. They however have threatened to pull it if they dont get 200 kids to go...good luck with that. Could you imagine 200 falcons nesters invading Harvard though?
                  I'm going to be one sad recent alum if on opening night it feels like we're playing a road game against an AHA team, no matter how close to campus they may be. Since there's no home football that weekend maybe hockey might be the thing the Harvard sports fans show up to?
                  Former Harvard Hockey broadcaster on 95.3 FM and WHRB.org.
                  Go Crimson!

Comment

Excalibur Sports Page has you guys 6th in ECAC. Their bloggers are pretty good; we see them a lot with Bentley and Brown... it's a bold move by them to slate you guys in the 6 slot.
                    Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Bentley drew a season-high 850 at its own home opener last year and as low as 256 later in the season. There should be plenty of enthusiasm among their fans, though, and the team will be far from a bunch of pushovers, having played three games (including one at Michigan) before playing Harvard. They were .500 last year and return their top five scorers, including 50-point man Brett Gensler, and a starting goalie with good numbers. Getting a few Bentley fans, especially students, would liven up Bright nicely. Harvard students typically turn out well for the opener and are at their best when they have someone with whom to yell back and forth.

P.S.
                      The opener is this month!

Comment

Bentley drew a season-high 850 at its own home opener last year and as low as 256 later in the season. There should be plenty of enthusiasm among their fans, though, and the team will be far from a bunch of pushovers, having played three games (including one at Michigan) before playing Harvard. They were .500 last year and return their top five scorers, including 50-point man Brett Gensler, and a starting goalie with good numbers. Getting a few Bentley fans, especially students, would liven up Bright nicely. Harvard students typically turn out well for the opener and are at their best when they have someone with whom to yell back and forth.

P.S.
                        The opener is this month!
                        As long as it's not just me yelling back and forth at the opposing fans, like the Beanpot against BU my freshman year, then I'll be happy. Now I just have to see if Harvard will sell me season tickets without the "sold out" Cornell game.
                        Go Crimson!

Comment

Originally posted by Humanoid View Post
                          Excalibur Sports Page has you guys 6th in ECAC. Their bloggers are pretty good; we see them a lot with Bentley and Brown... it's a bold move by them to slate you guys in the 6 slot.
                          I can buy the regression angle - after all, there's no guarantee our ties from last year become wins. But as Casey pointed out in the comments to their blog, they got Harvard's defensive corps all wrong. Biega, Ford, Everson, and McNally played in every game or almost every game last year if memory holds correct, plus Fick played a ton in his first two seasons and Rempel obviously missed a lot last year due to injury but became a top 6 guy when healed. So six of Harvard's top 7 d-men last year are back, without factoring in Luzar who we didn't get to see because of injury, Caldwell who spent time at forward as well, and the freshman Bergin.

I'd also add that the games they chose as bad losses last year were slightly questionable. The shutout loss to Union? Considering it was, y'know, Union, and it was at Fenway, that was acceptable. The 4-2 loss to Cornell was an early game that Killorn got tossed out of early, giving Cornell a 5-on-3 with one penalty being a major at the start of the 1st. Not great, but not awful. The Princeton game was the first game of the season, the Yale game was, yeah, a disaster, and Harvard has consistently struggled to get 4 points out of a No. Country series. If I were pointing to games that were troubling, than the 2-2 at RPI, the 4-3 to BU (late BU comeback), and 3-3 at Brown (late Brown comeback) would all stand out to me. The Crimson will need to do a better job closing out games, and will need 2 points/game against whatever teams end up being the bottom ECAC teams.

The questions for Harvard are obviously offensively. The big thing that stands out to me is how big the PP was during the middle stretch of the season. The PP will likely regress to begin with, never mind losing Killorn. Still, the PP was less important as the season wore on, and I'm hoping a healthy Conor Morrison can help bridge the gap of not having Killorn.

(Also, a link to the site: http://excalibursportspage.com/2012/...ard/#more-1678)
                          Go Crimson!

Comment

Originally posted by Humanoid View Post
                            I don't put much stock in pre-season predictions. More often than not, there are a few surprises along the way and you can't account for injuries at this time of year. Poor goaltending, lack of focus, the list goes on and on. Just too many variables.

That said, a sixth place finish is fine by me because it further disrespects what we accomplished at the end of last year. Our D returns as well as Raffi Girard who was immense down the stretch. Yes, replacing Killorn will be difficult but not impossible. Others will step up with more playing time. It would not surprise me to see us finishing third or fourth.

Comment

Tom Cavanaugh video - http://bit.ly/hc9TC

Help repair my camera gear before the new season starts
                              HockeyPhotography.com - use search to find images of your favorite college player and order prints
                              HockeyPhotos on Twitter

Comment

Working...
                              X