Harvard Crimson 2012-2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Harvard Crimson 2012-2013

Also, why is Yale succeeding? Same academic criteria, but Harvard folks will poo-poo that! You'll, "... say we've the highest standards in the Ivy League!"... wink wink (see Amaker above). Suddenly Harvard is "really good" in hoops. OK, either a great coach, Amaker, unlike Donato, or a little something something is being overlooked / done for the hoops... because you know darn well it was a black-mark on the program for not 1.) winning the Ivy Crown in 60+ years, and 2.) making any post-season play in 60+ years. But, I am resigned to admit H hoop's success it is a miracle or divine intervention at the least, that turned the program around. That happens a lot in D-1, when you get a new coach, with NCAA violations hanging over his head, but hey, Harvard is about academics and not sports! Or is it? (see Murphy above).
    If you want to know why Amaker has been successful, look no further than Duke and Coach K. He is the pipeline for Amaker to find kids that Coach K does not want to see in the ACC. I'm not kidding, this is true. Amaker is a very good coach who gets the most out of his kids. Up until this year, the program was not tainted by any scandal. Don't drill him; Amaker is fine coach and we're lucky to have him.

Regarding Teddy. As I have posted, I wrote to Scalise asking Bob to consider Teddy for the head coaching position once Mazz decided to leave. The job may be too much for him and we are definitely losing recruits that in the past we would have secured. The HE assistants that were brought in do not seem to be adding anything to the equation. I'm not sure a HE coach would make a difference as a Crimson head coach. I'm not saying Teddy should escape blame; he is the head coach and the buck stops with him. But really, how many great coaches are there in HE?? Tim Whitehead from Maine is consistently excoriated by Black Bear fans. Umile gets his share of criticism. No coach is above it. Think Jack Parker is doing a great job this year?? Mediocre at best.

Talent wise, Harvard should be better. I've been disappointed with Marshall Everson and Alex Fallstrom. They have been major busts. Danny Biega has been solid but he can't do it alone. The program needs a major infusion of talent. Our record speaks for itself regardless of the cheating impact. You can't make excuses and expect to win. Time to man up and be accountable for performance or lack thereof. It's been 19 years since we made a Frozen Four appearance. Too long.

Comment

Originally posted by alslammerz View Post
      Time to end the home losing streak to these guys.
      When am I going to learn I have to be more specific and specify winning?

We got pinned in the d-zone a lot. We also did not have many opportunities. But we got the point, the season series, and were close to the win. Both teams had great chances to win in the final minute of regulation. If only we had scored on that 3 on 2...credit to both goalies, especially Raph. They played great.
      Former Harvard Hockey broadcaster on 95.3 FM and WHRB.org.
      Go Crimson!

Comment

When am I going to learn I have to be more specific and specify winning?

We got pinned in the d-zone a lot. We also did not have many opportunities. But we got the point, the season series, and were close to the win. Both teams had great chances to win in the final minute of regulation. If only we had scored on that 3 on 2...credit to both goalies, especially Raph. They played great.
        That Criscuolo opportunity late in the game was a killer. If only he went stick side off the ice, he might have scored. Might have, should have, could have, it's all relative. I thought Cornell really pinned us in the third and in OT. We looked gassed for much of the third and into OT. Lack of depth will do that to you and you can really see it in our D zone. Danny Biega just doesn't have any jump left by the third period because of the minutes he plays. Rempel is a disaster and if Everson and McNally hadn't been involved in the cheating mess, he wouldn't be playing. Or at least I would hope not.

Some thoughts while basking in the fact that we didn't lose to Cornell this year:

1. When was the last time Cornell and Harvard occupied the basement in the ECAC this late in the season? Can anyone remember? I can't. Not in my lifetime. To think that when Harvard beat Cornell in November, both teams were ranked. Yikes.

2. The ECAC overall is a pretty mediocre conference this year. You can pretty much punch the Bobcats' ticket to the NCAA at this point barring an unforeseen collapse. After Q-Pac, there just doesn't seem to be much there. You've got teams from 2 - 6 at or near .500 and from 7-12, the teams are below .500. SLU was in 10th place when they visited Cambridge in January. Now they are a point out of second place gunning for home ice and a bye. That shouldn't happen in a normal year.

3. Looking ahead, I would much rather see us play Dartmouth in the first round of the ECACs. I think we could pull off the upset. If we got Yale instead, forget it. They'll kill us.

4. If Everson and Fallstrom can continue to up their games, Harvard can do some damage because it takes some pressure off of Vesey to be our main offensive threat. Need to get the other lines going. I know it's tough because of injury and roster depletion but if they can somehow manage to hang in there, well, who knows. The playoffs this year given the conference standings could be exciting with a few upsets.

Comment

Any idea when Bergin is back?

Comment

Ron Rolston just promoted to interim head coach of Buffalo Sabres. Too bad Harvard didn't hire him as head coach when replacing Mazzoleni. As Mazz assistants, he and Nate Leaman were the guys who created what success the Mazz era had. Both went on to build nice hockey resumes after leaving H.

Comment

Any Harvard people out there that can tell where to park at the Bright Center? Is there a cost to park?
              QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
              2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
              2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
              2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
              https://***********/QHockeyBlog
              https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
              https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

Originally posted by QUAlum2004 View Post
                Any Harvard people out there that can tell where to park at the Bright Center? Is there a cost to park?
                Yep! Parking inside the athletic complex is $10. Parking across the street at the business school lot is (I think) $5. Sorry I am not sure about the other lot, I have season tickets and also a season parking pass. I should note that Harvard generally pretty good (not perfect) about clearing snow.

If you arrive a bit early there is a decent pizza place a block or so south on N. Harvard St near the traffic light. In the athletic complex at the rink is a concession stand with hot dogs, hamburgers, sausages, tea, coke and other tonic types. In the Dillon Field House lounge Red Bones BBQ has BBQ food, mac and cheese etc as well as beer and wine.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Re. parking for Soldiers Field, all venues inside the iron fence. I'm pretty sure you have to pre-purchace passes before arriving at the gate on N. Harvard Ave. The business school lot is just across the street entrance even with Gate 6 at the closed end of the stadium. Good luck.

Comment

When I lived in Boston, I used to just drive by where you enter the rink via car and park on the street down the road. If you get to the light, you can take a left and there is always parking there. It's a bit of a walk to the rink from there (1/4 mile or so), but there is also a decent deli (buy a sub and bring it in to the rink) there to pick up some food.

Comment

Sorry I was not able to reply sooner, as I was traveling on business in the EU.

Well, Sneddon is not a winner like a Brooks, a Mason, a York or a Parker. I'd still consider, and choose, a coach from a solid D-3 program (i.e., Middlebury, Norwich), the IHL, AHL, Olympics (any contender nation), or the NHL.

Ted '91 is not the guy to coach Harvard, and he came back to H after being traded a umpteenth time with zero coaching experience; to me Donato has proven his ineptness with his W-L-T record and lack of individual/team development. One more loss, and we'll secure last place in the ECAC and a single digit win column, AGAIN.

Either the guys posting about H recruits in this forum are completely nuts, or Harvard/Donato is not developing players and he's not an efficient coach; I assert it is Harvard/Donato problem.

A new coach, in two season could easily turn this problem around at H. After 9 seasons, and the only success being Donato using Mazzoleni's recruits, it is time for the Scalise and HAA to wake up or settle for less than mediocre season after season. Other Ivy teams are flourishing (ahem, Yale), while H struggles with self-proclaimed top-notch recruits.

I'll play your game, yes after this season, Ted should leave or be fired.

Just my opinion; Fight Fiercely, Harvard.

Not to seem like I'm picking on you but I'm enjoying the discussion.

What would be wrong with Sneddon, if I may ask? 10 years as a head coach for a HE team. 20 years behind the bench. Closing in on 150 wins w/ Vermont and 200 overall (if he hasn't reached that mark already, I'm just going off his official bio.) 2009-10 was the 1st "sixth straight winning seasons" for Vermont in Division I. What makes him not a great coach? Or not a decent coach? (I mean, his record the last two years has been bad. And the years at a bad Union team. But 08-09 he was in the Frozen Four and had 22 wins.) There are only 57 D-I coaches out there besides Teddy and Kevin. Who is better and leaving to come to Harvard? (FWIW, I'm not even sure we'd get Sneddon and it's his alma mater.) That's my biggest problem with the Fire Teddy crowd (not just you) is that replacements seem sparse. Is it just change for change's sake? Can we really bring in a "proven winner" and what does that even mean?

For what it's worth, there are a few people I wouldn't mind seeing take over IF Teddy left, but I'm still in the Teddy camp for now and will remain so through this season.
                      Last edited by eaglehockeyrules; 02-23-2013, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 'Gate Man View Post
                        Ron Rolston just promoted to interim head coach of Buffalo Sabres. Too bad Harvard didn't hire him as head coach when replacing Mazzoleni. As Mazz assistants, he and Nate Leaman were the guys who created what success the Mazz era had. Both went on to build nice hockey resumes after leaving H.
                        He was one of two suggestions for coaching hires that I submitted to Bob Scalise after Mazz left. The other was Teddy.

Comment

Well, Sneddon is not a winner like a Brooks, a Mason, a York or a Parker. I'd still consider, and choose, a coach from a solid D-3 program (i.e., Middlebury, Norwich), the IHL, AHL, Olympics (any contender nation), or the NHL.
                          I think alslammerz did a good job of trumpeting Sneddon's candidacy. I, for one, would welcome Kevin back to Cambridge if he wanted to return to his alma mater.

I don't think a D-3 coach could handle the rigors of a D-1 program, especially one of Harvard's stature despite the fact we have fallen on hard times. Parker isn't exactly lighting the world on fire and we beat the Terriers twice this season. Forget about an AHL coach - they are thinking NHL all the way. Same with the IHL. Those guys have no use for the recruiting and academic challenges of an Ivy school.

If Teddy goes, it will be for an assistant at a major program or someone like Mark Dennehy at Merrimack. Not that Dennehy would accept but he would be someone I'd like to see at the helm as well.

Comment

Spend Saturday at the not Bright - the women have a playoff game at 2 pm then the men's senior game at 7 pm.

Help repair my camera gear before the new season starts
                            HockeyPhotography.com - use search to find images of your favorite college player and order prints
                            HockeyPhotos on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by mwade View Post
                              Spend Saturday at the not Bright - the women have a playoff game at 2 pm then the men's senior game at 7 pm.
                              Wish I could but I'll be taking my nephews to the Bruins game that afternoon against Tampa. Looking forward to watching Alex Killorn skate for the Bolts.

Comment

So it looks like Dartmouth is our most likely 1st round opponent, which outside of Clarkson, is about as good as it gets. I want absolutely zero part of Union and Yale as teams of that pedigree (speed, forecheck) have given us fits all season.

Here's to a Harvard - Dartmouth first round series!

Comment

Working...
                                X