Hockey East to Expand Playoff Format

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hockey East to Expand Playoff Format

From the Mack Report: Hockey East to expand playoff format starting with the 2013-14 season.

Starting with the 2013-14 season when Notre Dame joins the conference, all 11 teams will qualify. The top five teams will receive first-round byes with the remaining six playing on the extra weekend to determine the final three opponents for the four quarterfinal series. When Connecticut joins in 2014-15, all 12 teams will qualify, with the top four teams receiving first-round byes and the bottom eight playing for entry into the quarterfinals.

Under the new format, teams seeded fifth through eighth in the regular season will host the first-round (beginning with Connecticut’s arrival in 2014-15). The added first-round games will either be a single-elimination, winner-take-all game or a best-of-3 series, a detail that has yet to be determined.

Re: Hockey East to Expand Playoff Format

What are we going to nickname this one? The Providence rule? Perhaps the UCONN rule?

This is absolutely awful. Hockey East still had a regular season that truly mattered, but no longer.

Comment

Terrible. The regular season needs to matter more. Shame.
      Northeastern Huskies

Beanpot Champions: 2018, 2019
      Hockey East Champions: 2016, 2019

Comment

Ka-ching, ka-ching.

Comment

Good God, why mess up something that works and makes Hockey East's format the best in D-I??

Keep the top 8 only. It works, its clean, its simple, and it creates a "race" for the last spot in the last few weeks of the regular season. This isn't Little League anymore, not everyone needs to be included in the playoffs.

That first round needs to be single elimination.

Comment

Agree completely with the early sentiment in the thread. This is the same format the CCHA has used for the last couple of seasons, following UNOs departure and the league shrinking to 11 teams. While I prefer it to any format that has teams receiving a bye DURING the semifinal weekend (like the WCHA still does and the CCHA used to as a 12 team league at one point years ago) I still prefer a regular season that has more meaning than just as a 5 month long seeding process for a conference tourney.

Comment

I guess this is happing for 2 main reasons:

1) More games = more ticket revenue for the conference. The extra money could be distributed to help defray the extra travel costs to ND?

2) There would now be 4 teams per year that don't make it in under the old format. There are some members that are going to be in that 4 more often than not. They will have a big issue with that.

All that being said, I still don't like it. Only positive is that it would still be better than a "Final Five" format like the WCHA has.

Comment

Dumb dumb dumb...which is exactly why I'm not surprised. Agree with someone else who said the hockey east playoffs were unique in that not everyone made it...not anymore.

Comment

Every college basketball tournament includes every team. Every college hockey conference includes every team besides Hockey East. I'm not saying I agree or disagree, but it had to be done.

Comment

I don't understand why it absolutely had to be done. If they stayed at 10, there was no indication they ever would have changed the format.

Comment

Originally posted by irishfan85 View Post
                      Every college basketball tournament includes every team. Every college hockey conference includes every team besides Hockey East. I'm not saying I agree or disagree, but it had to be done.
                      Why did it have to be done? This is a much worse format.

Comment

Originally posted by irishfan85 View Post
                        Even without the ivies that is not true about basketball.

---

I will again say that I am glad that I was able to catch the end of the good old days of hockey east and college hockey. Mid-80s to early 2000s will be seen as a special time.
                        BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                        Skating Friar Jersey
                        AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                        UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                        Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Late 2000s weren't too shabby either

Comment

Copy-Cat B.S. *WHY* can't a League stand by what has made it truely a Playoffs with a meaning....play for a reason not to get a Post Season extra game and head home being happy that we played a Post Season game....this is hockey not Round-Ball let 'em all in....Little League Baseball is run better then what we will end up seeing.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Gentry View Post
                              I guess this is happing for 2 main reasons:

1) More games = more ticket revenue for the conference. The extra money could be distributed to help defray the extra travel costs to ND?

2) There would now be 4 teams per year that don't make it in under the old format. There are some members that are going to be in that 4 more often than not. They will have a big issue with that.

All that being said, I still don't like it. Only positive is that it would still be better than a "Final Five" format like the WCHA has.
                              Then do what the ECAC did from 1993 to 2002. Top 10 make it while the last two don't, and you do the old Final Five format.

Comment

Working...
                              X