Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will an NHL lockout benefit college hockey?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will an NHL lockout benefit college hockey?

An NHL lockout looks like a very good bet. NHL players who don't need to clear waivers to go to the minors can go to the AHL. Locked-out NHL talent will likely contract with minor league teams here and abroad to pay the bills and keep in shape. This will greatly restrict the upward mobility of players entering professional hockey, including early departures from college hockey. It seems a lockout will raise the level of competition in college hockey, but unfortunately another lockout will also damage the reputation of hockey in general and alienate the fans . . . but some NHL fans may transfer their attention and viewership to college hockey.
    The net effect upon college hockey of the "trickle down" from another NHL lockout is not easy to determine, but a lockout will definitely have a significant impact upon college hockey both now and in the future. Would another NHL lockout be a boon or a bane for college hockey?

Re: Will an NHL lockout benefit college hockey?

but some NHL fans may transfer their attention and viewership to college hockey
    i doubt it. hockey fandom isn't a zero sum game. increased or decreased viewership of pro-hockey doesn't necessarily mean anything for viewership of college hockey. increased viewership of pro-hockey is, if anything, probably good for college hockey

Would another NHL lockout be a boon or a bane for college hockey?
    an NHL lockout would be bad for hockey, and thus bad for college hockey. my two cents
    Last edited by KnightsOfTheRound; 09-10-2012, 08:47 AM.
    #OneKnight

Comment

No.
      tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
        No.
        This.
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

This is how college hockey programs look at a potential (repeat of the) lock out:

If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by Osorojo View Post
            A Would another NHL lockout be a boon or a bane for college hockey?
            I think if they were locked out in April still (after the College season) with no sign of returning, then and only then would it benefit College Hockey. Players would probably return for their Senior (or any class) seasons instead of bolting. The talent level would then be deeper for a short while, until the NHL started up again and the players start leaving early again.

Comment

Working...
            X