Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Early speculation of a new NCAA D1 Program...........in Canada????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early speculation of a new NCAA D1 Program...........in Canada????

You may have all heard about Simon Fraser University recently joining the NCAA. Here's an article that is just throwing out speculation of them applying for a D1 hockey team. There is NO actual talk of it mentioned from the university, just the author's point of view on what it would take. Still it implies there is a lot of fan discussion in the Vancouver area where the university is located.

Above the 49: NCAA hockey on the horizon in Canada?

There sounds like there are A LOT of hurdles in the way. If for whatever reason this actually worked, it would be interesting to get some west coast teams starting up. Especially in the heart of WHL country.

Not gonna happen, or at least anytime soon. Fun to consider though.

Re: Early speculation of a new NCAA D1 Program...........in Canada????

Originally posted by slowe View Post
    You may have all heard about Simon Fraser University recently joining the NCAA. Here's an article that is just throwing out speculation of them applying for a D1 hockey team. There is NO actual talk of it mentioned from the university, just the author's point of view on what it would take. Still it implies there is a lot of fan discussion in the Vancouver area where the university is located.

Above the 49: NCAA hockey on the horizon in Canada?

There sounds like there are A LOT of hurdles in the way. If for whatever reason this actually worked, it would be interesting to get some west coast teams starting up. Especially in the heart of WHL country.

Not gonna happen, or at least anytime soon. Fun to consider though.
    A giant hurdle would be for SFU to actually start a hockey team. UBC has a collegiate team, SFU doesn't.
    Originally posted by SCSU Euro
    What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Don't see this ever happening. Hard to imagine the NCAA would allow their entry.
      @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
      On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
      High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Originally posted by slowe View Post
        You may have all heard about Simon Fraser University recently joining the NCAA.
        Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
        Don't see this ever happening. Hard to imagine the NCAA would allow their entry.
        Might want to read the article
        MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Sadly, Simon Fraser did not appear to have a middle name at all, much less one that started with "T"...
          If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by stuckinwi View Post
            Might want to read the article
            Oops

Comment

I would like to see Manitoba go Division I then we would be able to have a series against them that actually counts and they are close by.
              Contributing Editor and College Hockey Writer at Inside Hockey
              Eric's Twitter
              The Sin Bin The Sports Daily

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                They've already allowed it. http://www.ncaa.com/schools/simon-fraser
                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by Goon View Post
                  I would like to see Manitoba go Division I then we would be able to have a series against them that actually counts and they are close by.
                  I would rather schedule Bemidji, Mankato, or Tech (or even UAH). When you factor that UND will have 24 league games, that only leaves 10 OOC games. Considering that we will likely schedule Wisconsin/Minnesota on a yearly basis (if not both), and likely get a series or two with top-end Eastern schools, that only leaves a few games.

Now, I'm all for Manitoba going D-1 (I don't think it will happen in the next 15-20 years, probably longer), but I don't want to schedule games with them over the likes of Bemidji, Tech, or Mankato.
                  North Dakota
                  National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Getting Simon Fraser and UBC on the NCAA D1 Hockey express would be a pretty good deal for everybody I think. They would give the Alaska schools an actual short hop for once, and could be be founding pillars for a Pacific Coast Hockey League that may or may not reach to say Denver. A couple of the Pacific Northwest schools like Washington, Oregon, Montana and perhaps one of the Idaho schools might be interested in starting up a program if there is a potential for a Far Western league.
                    bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                      They've already allowed it. http://www.ncaa.com/schools/simon-fraser
                      Yep, my mistake

Comment

The NCAA is carefully testing the ice over admitting Canadian college hockey teams under its authority. There isn't much chance that the stimulus for this move is pure generosity. There's money somehow to be had by this move, but other than media revenue I can't think how.

Comment

Just say "NO" to Canada joining US College Hockey Ranks..period.

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                            Just say "NO" to Canada joining US College Hockey Ranks..period.
                            Agreed.

Comment

Canada already has its own college hockey. We don't need them.

I'd rather we focus on trying to encourage expansion in the U.S.
                              University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

Working...
                              X