Alaska Nanooks 2012-2013: Going Out With a Bang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Alaska Nanooks 2012-2013: Going Out With a Bang

The best thing about the Blue/Gold game is that either way, the 'Nooks win.

Blue beat Gold 2-1; Colton Beck had both tallies for the Blue and freshman/local Alec Hadjukovich (did I spell that right?) had the goal for the Gold.

Steve Thompson and John Keeney took the lions share of the minutes in goal; Thompson allowed two goals on 12 shots and Keeney allowed one on 10 shots. Sean Cahill split time between squads, and to his credit allowed no goals on 17 shots.

I had some other obligations last night so that's the best I can do based on the box score and recap. Anyone who was there that can shed some extra light and/or photos?

It's good to have hockey back.
    “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Hockey is back in town. Nice showing for the first annual Fan Fest and then the Blue/Gold game. The Patty Rink was packed and the crowd got a chance to check out this year’s team. Intra-squad games are what they are, but the last couple of years the boys seem to work pretty hard at it, while at the same time trying to avoid unnecessary injuries. Blue bested the Gold squad 2-1, like that matters at all.

Everybody gets lots of action, so it was nice to see the mix of new players and returnees all on the ice…
      *****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2012-13-Season/Blue-and-Gold-Game-2012/i-vSwgd2D/0/XL/20120929-265-XL.jpg******

All three goalies got to show their stuff. Thompson started off in net for the Gold (White) squad. This year will a little different for the Nooks as there is probably not a clear #1 goaltender, and I don’t think last night changed anything. It will be a while before that spot settles out, if it ever does…
      *****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2012-13-Season/Blue-and-Gold-Game-2012/i-WgJdm2G/0/XL/20120929-256-XL.jpg******

Cahill started off in goal for the Blue squad, and I believe stopped all 17 shots he faced throughout the game, as a net-minder for both squads. Blue did a little better job on D in front of Cahill, and he had no problem handling this slapper from Youngmun…
      *****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2012-13-Season/Blue-and-Gold-Game-2012/i-9977m4r/0/XL/20120929-290-XL.jpg******

Beck scored both goals for the Blue squad. He either has a real nose for the puck, or the Gold D let up after the initial shot, because both of Beck’s tallies were rebound tap ins. Beck first goal off a Kunyk shot made the Gold D squad pay for sloppy D…
      *****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2012-13-Season/Blue-and-Gold-Game-2012/i-2qTgHKL/0/L/20120929-306-L.jpg******

…and his second goal off a Yaremchuk shot was sitting there for the taking…and he took it…
      *****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2012-13-Season/Blue-and-Gold-Game-2012/i-Qx3WRpJ/0/XL/20120929-315-XL.jpg******

The Gold squad continued to put on some pressure in the first half, but was not able to get one past Cahill…
      *****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2012-13-Season/Blue-and-Gold-Game-2012/i-DSDrHg6/0/XL/20120929-274-XL.jpg******

Keeney also saw duty as the Blue’s squad net-minder in the first half as well as in the second half, and stopped about 9 shots throughout the evening.
      *****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2012-13-Season/Blue-and-Gold-Game-2012/i-gCzNVVj/0/XL/20120929-322-XL.jpg******

Half time saw a number of skills competitions, including the fastest skater (Beck), and the hardest shot (Tateson). Both Tateson and Kaiser registered 100mph shots, with Tateson besting Kaiser in a tie breaker. The squads also competed in a shoot-out drill, which is very important for no other reason than winning the Governor’s Cup. Word has it that the Seawolves never ever practice a shootout drill with their goalies and that is the only reason we retained the cup again, and again, and again…
      *****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2012-13-Season/Blue-and-Gold-Game-2012/i-cg8r7hj/0/XL/20120929-332-XL.jpg******

A couple of newcomers broke up the Blue squad’s shut-out bid late in the game when Hajdukovich put one past Keeney off an assist from Parayko. It came out quick and the Gold team got a little anxious when the ref was late in making the call…
      *****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2012-13-Season/Blue-and-Gold-Game-2012/i-HzvhcC8/0/XL/20120929-413-XL.jpg******

The squads even practiced running the goalie, again, for no other reason than the Governor’s Cup.
      *****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2012-13-Season/Blue-and-Gold-Game-2012/i-t4nTm5j/0/XL/20120929-393-XL.jpg******

Go Nooks!

Comment

Originally posted by birdman View Post
        I'm not sure Air Force will be easy, new goalie and first game could be difficult. Hopefully we will have more than one line that can consistantly score.
        Air Force #19 in USCHO poll, they should be a real test for young nanooks and inexperienced goalie.

Comment

Cody Kunyk named to the preseason all-CCHA second team. First team was the Western Michigan and Notre Dame show.
          “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

Since I didn't see any info about it here, I wanted to let you guys know about the lack-of-ice situation at Sullivan Arena. A freon leak has created a situation where the entire system is being replaced. Hopefully repairs are completed by next week, however the University is making plans in case that doesn't occur. The current backup plan is to hold the Kendall Classic at the Wells Fargo Sports Complex on the UAA Campus, a facility lacking a significant number of seats. For any of you thinking about making the trip down, maybe keep an eye on the situation.

http://www.adn.com/2012/09/26/264170...-sullivan.html

http://www.adn.com/2012/10/01/264685...-canceled.html

Comment

Originally posted by UAA Seawolves Fan View Post
              Since I didn't see any info about it here, I wanted to let you guys know about the lack-of-ice situation at Sullivan Arena. A freon leak has created a situation where the entire system is being replaced. Hopefully repairs are completed by next week, however the University is making plans in case that doesn't occur. The current backup plan is to hold the Kendall Classic at the Wells Fargo Sports Complex on the UAA Campus, a facility lacking a significant number of seats. For any of you thinking about making the trip down, maybe keep an eye on the situation.

http://www.adn.com/2012/09/26/264170...-sullivan.html

http://www.adn.com/2012/10/01/264685...-canceled.html
              I'm not trying to sound like a dick, but last year there couldn't have been more than a few hundred people for both of UAF's Kendall games, especially the Friday game. At least from that angle it probably won't be a huge deal for the Nooks to play at WFSC.

This also begs the question, if the tournament gets moved to the UAA campus, will ticket prices come down to compensate for the lack of seating and other amenities?

Comment

Adam Henderson will wear the C for the 'Nooks this year.

Andy Taranto, Kaare Odegaard, and Colton Beck will wear the A's.

Nice video talking about the selections:

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                  I'm not trying to sound like a dick, but last year there couldn't have been more than a few hundred people for both of UAF's Kendall games, especially the Friday game. At least from that angle it probably won't be a huge deal for the Nooks to play at WFSC.

This also begs the question, if the tournament gets moved to the UAA campus, will ticket prices come down to compensate for the lack of seating and other amenities?
                  I doubt it because those with season tickets have already paid full price for their tickets. I may be totally wrong, but that's my hunch.
                  Originally Posted by aparch
                  I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

I'm kind of bummed that Kriskpytoes won't be making the trip to Fairbanks. I would have liked to see UAA face off against a fully charged Sioux
                    lineup. Nonetheless, if, IF we get a victory it will still be delightful.

Comment

Originally posted by Alaskana View Post
                      I'm kind of bummed that Kriskpytoes won't be making the trip to Fairbanks. I would have liked to see UAA face off against a fully charged Sioux
                      lineup. Nonetheless, if, IF we get a victory it will still be delightful.
                      Kriskpytoes? Too funny. Best post of the thread!
                      I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post

I wouldn't consider your observation to sound at all inappropriate because its quite true. Unfortunately, UAA's Brice games in Fairbanks are hardly attended any better. I for one always attend the UAF games in Anchorage. I love college hockey, even if the team is from Fairbanks.

Ticket prices likely wouldn't go down if held on campus but hopefully it won't come to that.

Comment

Originally posted by UAA Seawolves Fan View Post
                          I wouldn't consider your observation to sound at all inappropriate because its quite true. Unfortunately, UAA's Brice games in Fairbanks are hardly attended any better. I for one always attend the UAF games in Anchorage. I love college hockey, even if the team is from Fairbanks.

Ticket prices likely wouldn't go down if held on campus but hopefully it won't come to that.
                          Part of the reason for low attendance is that UA_ plays the early game, and on Friday many people are still at work. Saturdays game usually has a few more fans. But as UAA Seawolves Fan said, the games in the _airbanks tourney are just as slim attendance wise for the UAA games.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
                            Kriskpytoes? Too funny. Best post of the thread!
                            Thanks Suze. Although to be fair I didn't come up with that name. I think it was a Minnesota fan (Rinkpig?) who first used it.

Comment

I'm thoroughly enjoying the fact that every single expert out there expects us to finish dead last. It's going to be that much more fun when we start winning.

Comment

Sean Cahill getting the start tonight against Regina.

Comment

Working...
                                X