Alaska Nanooks 2012-2013: Going Out With a Bang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
    Starting to fail to remember things......... …old age and some off the nastiest air quality in the world in all probability doesn't help either. No wonder the Chinese travel to the _airbanks to stare into space in the dead of winter and think nothing about it …….just like back home in Beijing. Did you dust with a shop vac, a number 9 coal scoop or a leaf blower? Does anybody going north for Friday's game need to pack a couple cases those ever popular “white Michael Jackson Masks” or does the Red Cross give them out like free stuff at the dump?
    B+ effort. Had you gotten the ethnicity correct (Japanese) it would have been an A.
    “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

• Re: Alaska Nanooks 2012-2013: Going Out With a Bang

Originally posted by mmf View Post
      I always enjoy it when you get your internet privileges back in time for the Governor's Cup series. But now I need to dust off my Alaska Hockey to English Dictionary. Now where did I leave it…

*****http://i130.***********.com/albums/p248/mmffbks/SeawolfBookshelf.jpg******
      Funny stuff ... but now I have a crick in my neck. Thanks.
      Originally Posted by aparch
      I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

• Is there a way to watch the game on the Internet tomorrow (from the lower 48) or am I stuck with audio?

Comment

• Originally posted by GoalieEd View Post
          Is there a way to watch the game on the Internet tomorrow (from the lower 48) or am I stuck with audio?
          Use the UAA feed from goseawolves.com
          “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

• Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
            Use the UAA feed from goseawolves.com
            Thanks (although it pains me to type in that URL)

Comment

Originally posted by GoalieEd View Post
              Thanks (although it pains me to type in that URL)
              Well, before I read this I was gonna give you the link. Have fun finding it.
              Originally Posted by aparch
              I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Well, now that the Gov Cup is in the rear view mirror let's see what can be done about a last place Michigan State team that gave us fits one short weekend ago. Perhaps the bigger question is whether or not Anastos will throw as much of a temper tantrum about going to Alaska for the playoffs as Rick Comley did a couple of years ago.

One added bonus from sweeping UAA is it bumped us up to #16 in the PWR...hanging by a thread. I'd say we have about a 50/50 chance of making the cut, and it will probably only happen if we sweep MSU and win at least one at Western, along with no cinderella conference champions (yes, that means don't eff things up, Niagara). I don't think we have the firepower this year to take out a 1 seed but it would still be nice to go back to the tourney.

Comment

We certainly can’t afford to look past MSU. I think we’re a better club, but we need to capitalize on our opportunities… the hockey gods only give you so many. And hopefully Henderson doesn’t get baited into something foolish.

Keeney continues to improve, but a couple of our d-guys really need to re-focus on playing solid defense first. That carries tourney play. They have the foot speed and skills, they just need to get’r done.

With a little puck luck this team could surprise a team or two. It would be nice to see Taranto and the rest of the seniors make it back to the tourney. They are a class act.

Go Nooks!

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post

With a little puck luck this team could surprise a team or two. It would be nice to see Taranto and the rest of the seniors make it back to the tourney. They are a class act.

Go Nooks!
                    Agreed. It would be nice for this group of Seniors to bring their careers full circle and show the younger guys what it takes to get there, much like the 2010 class did.

Comment

Played around a bit with the PWR predictor, and playing Michigan State isn't going to help our chances. Basically, to stay in the hunt, we need to win this series (preferably sweep) and hope a few teams in front of us lose. Also, we need Merrimack to stay above the TUC line. If everybody in front of us wins this weekend we would drop to 18 or 19, depending on what Merrimack does and assuming we win.

Doable, but it will take some luck.

Comment

Good luck Nooks. There are quite a few teams in the CCHA on the bubble and some that need to win out. Obviously your team has the skill to win on the road, if you get by State.

Comment

• Originally posted by streaker View Post
                          Good luck Nooks. There are quite a few teams in the CCHA on the bubble and some that need to win out. Obviously your team has the skill to win on the road, if you get by State.
                          Thanks. Winning on the road in the playoffs is always a tall order, but we played well against Western in November so it might be a good matchup.

Need to deal with Sparty first, though.

Comment

Not hockey related, but anybody who cares about Nanook athletics should be elated that Mick Durham was tabbed as GNAC Coach of the Year.

A few short years ago our men's basketball program wasn't just swirling in the toilet, it was headed down the pipe into the septic system. Mick had to make some tough player decisions (including sending a North Pole kid home) that weren't always popular, but it's paid off this season. Good for him.

Forrest Karr was often maligned and occasionally even deserved it, but two big hires he got right were Dallas Ferguson and Mick Durham. Hopefully they both stick around for a while.

Comment

• Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                              Not hockey related, but anybody who cares about Nanook athletics should be elated that Mick Durham was tabbed as GNAC Coach of the Year.

A few short years ago our men's basketball program wasn't just swirling in the toilet, it was headed down the pipe into the septic system. Mick had to make some tough player decisions (including sending a North Pole kid home) that weren't always popular, but it's paid off this season. Good for him.

Forrest Karr was often maligned and occasionally even deserved it, but two big hires he got right were Dallas Ferguson and Mick Durham. Hopefully they both stick around for a while.
                              Big congrats to coach Durham, big turnaround for your basketball program. I personally won't be surprised if that winning streak we have against you ends next year.

Good luck against sparty this weekend
                              Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic

Comment

Originally posted by seawolfpunk View Post
                                Big congrats to coach Durham, big turnaround for your basketball program. I personally won't be surprised if that winning streak we have against you ends next year.

Good luck against sparty this weekend
                                I was hoping we would get another crack at UAA at the GNAC tourney but it won't happen unless we both make it to the championship game. I don't see us beating Western Washington twice in the span of a few weeks.

Comment

Working...
                                X