Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much is your most treasured college hockey souvenir worth (actual)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much is your most treasured college hockey souvenir worth (actual)?

I've got a mint condition Golden Gopher 2002-03 National Championship puck shot by Thomas Vanek. Worth: at least $50? I figure in five years I'll sell it and buy beachfront property in New Jersey.

Re: How much is your most treasured college hockey souvenir worth (actual)?

Who the f cares?
    I have stuff like that, that I would never sell. Why? The memory of it. The story behind it.

But more importantly, who the f cares?
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
      Who the f cares?
      I have stuff like that, that I would never sell. Why? The memory of it. The story behind it.

But more importantly, who the f cares?
      Did someone skip their nap today??

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
        Did someone skip their nap today??
        No, but I was majorly into the sport memorabilia business for quite a while. Until I realized that the reason I got into collectibles differed from where I was when I left that market. It started to become more about the money, rather than the collectability. I then left that market. Mostly sports cards, but some pucks, balls, etc. I sold off what I really didn't care about, and kept what was meaningful.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
          No, but I was majorly into the sport memorabilia business for quite a while. Until I realized that the reason I got into collectibles differed from where I was when I left that market. It started to become more about the money, rather than the collectability. I then left that market. Mostly sports cards, but some pucks, balls, etc. I sold off what I really didn't care about, and kept what was meaningful.
          Cool. As an experienced memorabilia trader like yourself, I'm curious what's your absolute most treasured piece Brent?

Comment

I caught a puck that was chipped into the air by Ben Blood from the championship game of the WCHA playoffs in 2011... what is that worth? More to me than it's weight in rubber for sure. Getting to meet and chat with various Sioux players over the years while at away games has been great but never once thought about asking for autographs. I would rather spend money on travel and tickets than authentics or signed gear, but that is just me.
            Last edited by willythekid; 09-05-2012, 01:32 AM.

Comment

buy beachfront property in New Jersey.
              Why? You'd have to deal with people much much dooshier than anyone in either of our fanbases...

Would you really want to spend your time with people like The Situation, Snooki, and jmh?
              Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
              Originally posted by Quizmire
              mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
              MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
              MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
              I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Well, you knew it would be a jersey, but I'll go with this mid-70s item.
                I acquired this from a BC sports store back in the 1990s, I think maybe the 2nd or 3rd item I ever bought on Ebay.
                The only other one I've seen from this era was hanging up at MTU in a display case.
                What's it worth? To just another jersey/sports collector, somewhere in the range of $750 - $1000.
                To me? Maybe a really nice car or paying off my mortgage would get it away from me.
                When the day comes to let my collection go, this will likely be the last to leave.
                Go Tech!
                Ryan J

Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                Originally posted by geezer
                Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                Originally posted by manurespreader
                ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Cool. As an experienced memorabilia trader like yourself, I'm curious what's your absolute most treasured piece Brent?
                  It's kinda of a 3-way tie: Marty Brodeur auto'd card (when Upper Deck had the Be A Player series, with an auto in every pack; yes, had it graded: 9.5/10 on the card itself and 10/10 on the auto), a Jon Casey auto'd puck (one of my fave North Stars), and a Gump Worsley auto'd puck. The latter two I got in person.

One other thing I have is a 1964 (IIRC) Len Dawson card. It's kinda beat up and not worth anything, but the fact that is was one of the first football cards....that's what makes it cool.

Comment

This may be my most valuable item from a monetary standpoint.

*****http://i820.***********.com/albums/zz128/Gurtholfin/USCHO/Poster.jpg******

I took this 05-06 schedule poster that I got at the first game that year in to have it dry-mounted on foam core coz I knew that we'd be contenders that year and I wanted to take it to Skate With the Badgers and get it signed by the whole team. Thought it would be a cool keepsake if they could win it all.

I got everybody including the 3 main coaches (and John Mitchell who must have enrolled early).

Oops! Just realized I don't have Howie (crusty goalie coach for those who don't know). Should probably go look him up. 50:50 he'd be thrilled or shout me down and make me cry.

This was the only time I did this, so it paid off big for me and my days of going to Skate With the Badgers are sadly done since my kids have aged out.

Value? Stuff signed by the whole team was going for about $400 after the title. I would guess it would fetch less than that now but would guess it will appreciate over time.

No matter. It's not for sale as I got it myself and I was uniquely close to that team in that I was coaching youth with Oz at the time and was able to be around that team more than any before or since. Some of the players came to our youth practices and the boys got to go to the locker room etc. Also went to the Frozen Tundra game that year, the Regionals in GB and the FF. Magical year for me personally in terms of Badger Hockey.

That's my most valuable from a cash standpoint. The photos that I have of players with my son that we then printed and got signed are more personably valuable. Suter, Pavelski, Burish, Elliot, Stepan, etc...
                    Last edited by Gurtholfin; 09-05-2012, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Also have this...

*****http://i820.***********.com/albums/zz128/Gurtholfin/USCHO/Poster2.jpg******

Bob and Mark posed for this either before or after (wanna say Bob said after) the Olympics and they made a poster out of it that was sold or given away around Madison back then.

You can see that it's at the Coliseum and they have their Badger gear on along with those odd USA jerseys.

Bought it at a rummage sale about 8 years ago, got it mounted and then took it to Bob & Mark to get it signed.

This is cool and I love it, but I have no real personal connection to it like my 06 poster other than getting the autographs myself. I was 10 in 1980 and it's cool as heck (don't even start, I get how significant it was), but the 1996 World Cup victory over Canada is my favorite international win personally. Honorable mention goes to the WJC a couple of years ago.

Comment

One last thing that I will someday get that my dad has in a safe deposit box right now is a baseball.

On 10/28/28, Bustin' Babe & Larrupin Lou's Barnstorming Tour came to Borchert Field in Milwaukee to play an exhibition game.

This was a Barnstorming tour featuring Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig and I believe, several other Yankee's and maybe other players from that era. They would go from city to city and play exhibitions using local minor players and dividing up Babe & Lou and picking teams.

Obviously, this was before TV and if you lived where MLB didn't have a team, this was the way to see these mythical, larger than life figures. It was a huge deal, judging by the stories I can find online.

Well, my grandpa went to this game and got everyone's signature on a ball. I haven't actually seen the ball in a few years, but I know that both Babe and Lou signed it and while I can't recall exactly whom, other famous players did too.

It's in real good shape for something that old and while I would guess it's worth many thousands (10-20?), it will never come to that as it's a family heirloom since grandpa got it when he was just 17. Such a cool thing...
                        Last edited by Gurtholfin; 09-05-2012, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                          One last thing that I will someday get that my dad has in a safe deposit box right now is a baseball.

On 10/28/28, Bustin' Babe & Larrupin Lou's Barnstorming Tour came to Borchert Field in Milwaukee to play an exhibition game.

This was a Barnstorming tour featuring Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig and I believe, several other Yankee's and maybe other players from that era. They would go from city to city and play exhibitions using local minor players and dividing up Babe & Lou and picking teams.

Obviously, this was before TV and if you lived where MLB didn't have a team, this was the way to see these mythical, larger than life figures. It was a huge deal, judging by the stories I can find online.

Well, my grandpa went to this game and got everyone's signature on a ball. I haven't actually seen the ball in a few years, but I know that both Babe and Lou signed it and while I can't recall exactly whom, other famous players did too.

It's in real good shape for something that old and while I would guess it's worth many thousands (10-20?), it will never come to that as it's a family heirloom since grandpa got it when he was just 17. Such a cool thing...
                          Wow, that is pretty freaking cool. I'm not a big collector, but it would be awesome to have something with that much history and personal significance.

Comment

Also have this...

*****http://i820.***********.com/albums/zz128/Gurtholfin/USCHO/Poster2.jpg******

Bob and Mark posed for this either before or after (wanna say Bob said after) the Olympics and they made a poster out of it that was sold or given away around Madison back then.

You can see that it's at the Coliseum and they have their Badger gear on along with those odd USA jerseys.

Bought it at a rummage sale about 8 years ago, got it mounted and then took it to Bob & Mark to get it signed.

This is cool and I love it, but I have no real personal connection to it like my 06 poster other than getting the autographs myself. I was 10 in 1980 and it's cool as heck (don't even start, I get how significant it was), but the 1996 World Cup victory over Canada is my favorite international win personally. Honorable mention goes to the WJC a couple of years ago.
                            That's pretty cool. If I could go back in time and watch one sporting event, that would be it. I wasn't alive when it happened, and although I have seen the replays, it just isn't the same.

Comment

nice.
                              This may be my most valuable item from a monetary standpoint.

*****http://i820.***********.com/albums/zz128/Gurtholfin/USCHO/Poster.jpg******
                              i have this from our season. i always keep my ticket sheet intact (just in case ) and was paid off ...finally! got the team to sign during the season ending banquet.

*****http://i470.***********.com/albums/rr63/1995mookie/E34255CA-4BCC-441E-A1D2-1853C686AB50-2555-00000327FE0AE312.jpg******
                              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Working...
                              X