Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Gophers 2012-2013: From Dinkytown to Steel City!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota Gophers 2012-2013: From Dinkytown to Steel City!

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
    From what I've read the Gopher's current TV deals with FSN/BTN made it difficult.
    That's what I suspected too.

Comment

From Gophersports, meet the Freshmen.

http://www.gophersports.com/blog/201...an-reilly.html

As the 2012-13 season approaches, we'll chat with each of Gopher Hockey's nine freshmen starting this week with forward Ryan Reilly.

The son of Gopher Hockey alum Mike Reilly (1979-81) and one of three Reilly brothers on the Minnesota roster this season, Ryan Reilly joins the Gophers after helping the Penticton Vees (BCHL) to the Royal Bank Cup in 2012 as the top team in Canadian Junior A. Reilly's brothers Mike and Connor (Connor and Ryan are twins while Mike is just under two years younger) also skated for the Vees last season and helped the team to BCHL and CJHL titles before taking home the Royal Bank Cup.

Starting his prep career at Holy Angels in 2009-10, Ryan Reilly tallied 56 points (21 goals, 35 assists) in 25 games before joining the Sioux Falls Stampede (USHL) the following season. Last season with Penticton, he set career marks across the board with 73 points, 32 goals and 41 assists in the Vees' championship season.

We caught up with Ryan earlier this week at Mariucci Arena.

You'll wear #9 with the Gophers this season. Is there a story behind that?

I actually wore it in high school at Holy Angels and wanted to wear it last year with Penicton, but I wore #8 instead. #9's always been a number that I really liked, so I asked Gres (Gopher Hockey equipment manager Lee Greseth) if it was available and luckily it was.

Do you have any pregame rituals?

I normally put my left skate on before my right skate. I also like to tape my stick as soon as I get to the rink -- I'll get my undergear on and then tape it up. Those are basically the only two. I like to play soccer before games also, but I'm not very good. I'll play for maybe five minutes.

Growing up in Chanhassen, Minn., what does it mean to you to be a Gopher?

It means a lot. I've been waiting two years for this experience. I'm really excited to finally be a Gopher and to be part of such a rich tradition here. It's going to be a lot of fun.

How are the first few weeks of freshman year going?

I'm really looking forward to getting the season started here in a couple weeks. We've got our first practice pretty early this Saturday, and I'm excited to get on the ice with the guys. It's always a good time.

What's one thing that people don't know about you?

Probably that I really like to read books. I like to read science fiction and a lot of economic books. The one I just read was called "Boomerang."

Last one, what's it like playing on the same team as your brothers?

I'm really looking forward to it. It was obviously a great year playing with them last season in Penticton, and we're all excited for this year too. It's really special being able to play with them. I don't think many people get that opportunity in their lifetime. All of us being freshman together...it's going to be a great experience.
      Originally posted by CavalryNate
      Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
      sigpic

Comment

I don't understand while people get so uptight about Gopher games being on NBC or not. Like mnstate0fhockey said, the Gophers are already the most televised team in the nation so it's not like we are going to be missing many games if they aren't on NBCSN.
        "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
          I don't understand while people get so uptight about Gopher games being on NBC or not. Like mnstate0fhockey said, the Gophers are already the most televised team in the nation so it's not like we are going to be missing many games if they aren't on NBCSN.
          Who's uptight? I don't give a rip about them being on NBC. Couldn't care less actually.
          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

It would be nice to have some games not in HD every now and then
            @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
            On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
            High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

I don't understand while people get so uptight about Gopher games being on NBC or not.
              Who is uptight?

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                Who's uptight? I don't give a rip about them being on NBC. Couldn't care less actually.
                I'd rather then be on NBCSN then BTN. BTN is getting better but still have a ways to go. But big picture it doesn't matter too much, as long as I get to see the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggsy View Post
                  I'd rather then be on NBCSN then BTN. BTN is getting better but still have a ways to go. But big picture it doesn't matter too much, as long as I get to see the game.
                  At least the BTN is in HD. They'll get better. I am encouraged by the fact that they were soliciting feedback last year and seemed very receptive to the feedback they got (commentators, camera placement, etc..).

Comment

Gopher schedule and start times out, they changed the Notre Dame game to a Tuesday 1/8/13...strange.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m...key-sched.html
                    Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Driftryder View Post
                      Gopher schedule and start times out, they changed the Notre Dame game to a Tuesday 1/8/13...strange.

Probably to allow time for kids playing in the WJC time to get back. Just a guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Driftryder View Post

Hmmm...probably a strategic move. Notre Dame usually plays horrible on Tuesdays in January.

And a couple more notable changes as of today:

11/17 vs. Wisconsin is now an 8 p.m. game.
                        1/11 vs. Alaska Anchorage is now an 8 p.m. game.

My wish list: BRING BACK THE TINY DONUTS STAND AT MARIUCCI!

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                          Who is uptight?
                          The Russo tweet and the MN Daily write-up seem to me like people are getting their panties in a bunch over it.

"Gophers hockey left off national TV schedule" sounds kinda whiny(maybe it's just me...I don't know). Yeah, I mean it would be nice to gain a little national exposure for the Gophers. But I don't think having the Gophers, or any college hockey for that matter, on NBCSN changes the fact that college hockey is very regional.
                          "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

The Russo tweet and the MN Daily write-up seem to me like people are getting their panties in a bunch over it.

"Gophers hockey left off national TV schedule" sounds kinda whiny(maybe it's just me...I don't know). Yeah, I mean it would be nice to gain a little national exposure for the Gophers. But I don't think having the Gophers, or any college hockey for that matter, on NBCSN changes the fact that college hockey is very regional.
                            I guess I took it as informational and not whiny (maybe he was), we already have the best TV package in the nation so meh on NBC Sports.
                            sigpic

Comment

Those reports appear a bit "whiny" because the reporters didn't research their sources very well. FSN and BTN have broadcasting rights that prevent NBCSN from airing Gopher games. I believe the same could be said of Michigan and from a marketing standpoint, Mich. has a strong national media brand. When the first 2012-13 USA Today college hockey poll is published on Sept. 24th it's possible the Gophers are the preseason #1. No doubt NBCSN's marketing dept. would have Gopher games (and Michigan) on their schedule if it was contractually feasible. UNO doesn't appear to have that problem and only 1 out of their 6 games broadcast on NBCSN is an away game (3 games at home, two in KC, away game in Denver).

Comment

NBCSN carried one of the Gopher at UNO games last year, but the game was also carried by FSN. Two reasons I think the Gophers aren't on NBCSN this year.

1. The most important reason, they don't play at UNO, Denver, or Notre Dame. NBCSN has contracts with those teams to do some home games.
                                2. Why would you want to carry a Gopher game when FSN is carrying the game, and in HD. How many Gopher fans do you think watched the SD NBCSN broadcast instead of the FSN HD broadcast with our broadcasters (as bad as LaPanta was)?

Comment

Working...
                                X