Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Gophers 2012-2013: From Dinkytown to Steel City!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers 2012-2013: From Dinkytown to Steel City!

No WCHA sweeps in the first half and they played UAA, CC (which isn't very good this year), and Mansucko?

Blech!!!!!!!!!!!!
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

CC....not good? Bad defense, but decent goaltending and a lot of firepower. Just sayin'.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

CC is a very solid team, that Krushelnyski (sp) is a player, when they had him up with Schwartz that line dominated Saturday. And Kato is currently in 3rd place in the WCHA, I don't think they are as bad as you think Scooby. The UAA ties sucks though, and loss at Tech I'll give you that.

Decent 1st half, 11-3-3.

Comment

Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
          Decent 1st half, 11-3-3.
          Probably about where most honest and reasonable observers would have predicted before the season started. But given the schedule, I was hoping it would be better.

13-2-1 was definitely achievable.
          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
            13-2-1 was definitely achievable.
            Not with 17 games played.

I agree that they gave some points away so far, but hasn't BC? Hasn't UNH? If they continue to do this after the break I will be concerned, for now I am partially annoyed.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
              Not with 17 games played.
              And believe it or not I used to be pretty decent at math...how about 13-3-1, we coulda done that!

I think everyone has to agree that the biggest positive surprise during the first half has been the play of Adam Wilcox, expecially when you consider that going into the season the biggest question mark that most people had about this team was goaltending.

Comment

Bump

1st Half Recap: Goal Scoring

Credit Tom Serratore and Seth Ambroz, who have really stepped up their game as key players for the Gophers thus far, and it shows in their hustle, physicality and 100% improvement in goal scoring over last season at this point. Team goals against (GA) is identical to last season, but goal scoring (GF) as a team and by some key players (Bjugs and Rau) is significantly down this half compared to 2011-12.

Team totals after 17 Games (W-L-T/pts., GF-GA):

2011-12: 12-4-1/25, 72-34
                2012-13: 11-3-3/25, 57-34

Goal scoring comparison by players after 17 games (season/goals):

Bjugs: 2011-12/15, 2012-13/8
                Haula: 2011-12/9, 2012-13/8
                Rau: 2011-12/10, 2012-13/6
                *Serratore: 2011-12/3, 2012-13/6
                *Budish: 2011-12/4, 2012-13/5
                *Ambroz: 2011-12/2, 2012-13/5

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
                  Bump

Credit Tom Serratore and Seth Ambroz, who have really stepped up their game as key players for the Gophers thus far, and it shows in their hustle, physicality and 100% improvement in goal scoring over last season at this point. Team goals against (GA) is identical to last season, but goal scoring (GF) as a team and by some key players (Bjugs and Rau) is significantly down this half compared to 2011-12.

Someone needs to show BJugs some tape of Wheeler and Stoa in their last years to inspire him to start playing power-forward hockey. In fact, I would say if Lucia wants to try juggling some more, put Bjugs on wing and tell him to just score goals, and do it from close to the net with a couple D hanging on him. He's probably going to end up on wing in the NHL anyways, so why not give him a try there. I know he is great at faceoffs, but I'd sacrifice that pushed it more.

Comment

1st Half Recap (cont.):

With the scoring down this season so far as a team and from key players, the drop in sweeps along with fewer total goals scored per game this first half stands out as significant. The drop in shutouts may be partially due to the extraordinary goaltending by Patterson last season.

Total goals per game comparison (2011-12/2012-13):

1: 1/1
                    2: 1/3
                    3: 4/7
                    4: 4/3
                    5: 4/2
                    6: 2/0
                    7: 0/1
                    8: 0/0
                    9: 1/0

Shutouts:

2011-12: 6
                    2012-13: 2

Series Sweeps:

2011-12: 4 (Sacred Heart, UMD, UAA, UND) (note: 5 Sweeps if 18th game with MSUM is included)
                    2012-13: 2 (MSU, Vermont)
                    Last edited by HarleyMC; 12-12-2012, 12:29 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the legwork Harley.

Just solidifies my opinion, that is starting to sound like a broken record, that Budish needs to be back on that first line. I don't think it's a "cure-all" for some of the frustrations so far this year, but I definitely think what he brings to the ice is of greater benefit to Bjugstad and (especially) Rau than it is to Haula and Warning/Condon.

I feel like the thinking behind playing him on the 2nd line is that he will score more on that line, and that Bjugstad and Rau will still score without him. But that's clearly not playing out. And quite frankly, I don't look to Budish to score goals. That's not what his value is. Sure, he'll pot a few along the way and probably put up pretty decent numbers, but what he adds are things that end up showing on other people's stat lines, not his.

Rau really needs a guy like Budish. And I think Bjugstad does do. Bjugstad can routinely make plays with a guy draped over his shoulder, but he is really struggling to do it with 2 guys draped over his shoulders.

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                        Someone needs to show BJugs some tape of Wheeler and Stoa in their last years to inspire him to start playing power-forward hockey. In fact, I would say if Lucia wants to try juggling some more, put Bjugs on wing and tell him to just score goals, and do it from close to the net with a couple D hanging on him. He's probably going to end up on wing in the NHL anyways, so why not give him a try there. I know he is great at faceoffs, but I'd sacrifice that pushed it more.
                        Good point. I never thought of moving Bjugstad to wing.
                        "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
                          Bump

Good info Harley, thanks.

Hope Bjugs can get going in the 2nd half, if he does this team should be just fine. The goaltending and D are solid enough for a run but we need to score a little more.
                          Originally posted by CavalryNate
                          Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
                          sigpic

Comment

For those who didn't happen to see this, Blake Thompson has announced that he's transferring. No surprise as he hadn't played at all this year.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/go...183041721.html

Comment

CC is a tough opponent. Especially if you consider that CC could be tied with UM in the WCHA standings IF they sweep St Cloud this weekend.
                              "For me, college hockey was obviously the best step I could have taken to get to the next level." - Jonathan Toews, North Dakota/Chicago Blackhawks

Comment

• Originally posted by SoCalSiouxFan View Post
                                CC is a tough opponent. Especially if you consider that CC could be tied with UM in the WCHA standings IF they sweep St Cloud this weekend.
                                I don't think anyone is discounting that. But the Gophers had a 3 goal lead going into the 3rd period and a 1 goal lead with 30 seconds to play. So, a tie on Saturday is a bit disappointing from that aspect. But in the grand scheme of things, you're absolutely right. 3pts on the road against a quality opponent is a good thing.
                                @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                                On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                                High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Working...
                                X