Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Gophers 2012-2013: From Dinkytown to Steel City!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers 2012-2013: From Dinkytown to Steel City!

Originally posted by SaintCloudGopher
    Hey Gopher fans and Gopher wannabes. First time poster, long-time lurker. I got tired of posting on Star Tribune's Gopher articles so I'm joining the forum. Hopefully I can bring some nice posts to this forum. I believe that I'm fairly knowledgable about hockey and the Gophers and I look forward to engaging in some good discussion and UND bashing! Also I hate SCSU. Grew up here, went to college elsewhere and now I'm back.
    Welcome aboard!
    Originally posted by CavalryNate
    Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
    sigpic

Comment

Hey Gopher fans and Gopher wannabes. First time poster, long-time lurker. I got tired of posting on Star Tribune's Gopher articles so I'm joining the forum. Hopefully I can bring some nice posts to this forum. I believe that I'm fairly knowledgable about hockey and the Gophers and I look forward to engaging in some good discussion and UND bashing! Also I hate SCSU. Grew up here, went to college elsewhere and now I'm back.
      Couldn't get a job in a good town so you're working at Val's, huh?
      Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
      when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
      Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

That is good news that Warning is practicing.

If he does get cleared to play this weekend, do you think he would be back on the 2nd line with Haula? Or would tDon ease him back in to the lineup?
        Originally posted by CavalryNate
        Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
        sigpic

Comment

Dear SaintCloudGopher,

Finally! Someone with knowledge! Anyway, I'm a gopher wannabe, but I don't drool. Do you know of anything I can do to get in?

OwatonnaWanna

Comment

Hey Val's is awesome. But nope, just came back to teach Minnesota's impressionable youth and argue with all the Husky fans that they're all just jealous of THE U's hockey dominance. Also, I get to coach here!
            Dirty, he doesn't really care. He lives in his Mom's basement, and plays video games all day.
            XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
            Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
              Dear SaintCloudGopher,

Finally! Someone with knowledge! Anyway, I'm a gopher wannabe, but I don't drool. Do you know of anything I can do to get in?

OwatonnaWanna
              Start a "Fire Mike Eaves" thread, to begin with.
              XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
              Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                Dear SaintCloudGopher,

OwatonnaWanna
                A pig with lipstick is still a pig. Nice try but the answer is, "no".

Comment

BTW- maybe we are looking at this "MN shouldn't be rated so high since the teams they've played haven't done much" all wrong. Maybe it is SO devastating to play this Gopher team and takes SO much out of the opponent that they just tank after the Gopher series? Maybe they're just that good.

If this is the case, hope the UNO fans are prepared for the fall.

Comment

• Originally posted by Koho View Post
                    BTW- maybe we are looking at this "MN shouldn't be rated so high since the teams they've played haven't done much" all wrong. Maybe it is SO devastating to play this Gopher team and takes SO much out of the opponent that they just tank after the Gopher series? Maybe they're just that good.

If this is the case, hope the UNO fans are prepared for the fall.
                    Mankato doesn't fit this mold. They hung with Denver pretty close even though they were swept.
                    the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                      Mankato doesn't fit this mold. They hung with Denver pretty close even though they were swept.
                      (pssssssst - sarcasm)

Comment

Kick in the arse this team needs.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                        And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                        Twenty red lights in his honor
                        Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
                          In need of a serious riot act. Weak effort last night. Maybe some heavy statement to the team at the end of the first half.
                          Go Gophers!

Comment

Thoughts from last night:

Budish makes a really dumb no-look pass that ends up in the back of our net for the winning goal, w-t-f.

Please coach Lucia, quit playing D at forward and especially Parenteau, he needs to be playing D every weekend. I don't care who has to sit (1st round pick 7th round pick doesn't matter) play Parenteau where he belongs. That crap is getting old.

Sorry but Isaackson doesn't belong on the 1st line (yeah he got a goal, grats) but he does not belong on the 1st line. He is a 3rd line type player, play him there.

Bjugs needs to sense when the team is struggling and put the team on his back during those stretches, he hasn't yet. Take over a period you are bigger and stronger than most.

Playing 2 freshman at D every weekend does nothing for me, I don't care how much potential they have, they are still freshman who make big mistakes. Sit 'em a game or 2 and see if that helps. Our D late last year seemed to gel and play solid, we still have all them on the team so play them.

Quit rolling 4 lines late in a game that we are behind by 1 goal, it is ok to shorten the bench and play the guys who can actually score.

Win tonight and all will be forgiven.

Comment

Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
                              Thoughts from last night:

Budish makes a really dumb no-look pass that ends up in the back of our net for the winning goal, w-t-f.

Please coach Lucia, quit playing D at forward and especially Parenteau, he needs to be playing D every weekend. I don't care who has to sit (1st round pick 7th round pick doesn't matter) play Parenteau where he belongs. That crap is getting old.

Sorry but Isaackson doesn't belong on the 1st line (yeah he got a goal, grats) but he does not belong on the 1st line. He is a 3rd line type player, play him there.

Bjugs needs to sense when the team is struggling and put the team on his back during those stretches, he hasn't yet. Take over a period you are bigger and stronger than most.

Playing 2 freshman at D every weekend does nothing for me, I don't care how much potential they have, they are still freshman who make big mistakes. Sit 'em a game or 2 and see if that helps. Our D late last year seemed to gel and play solid, we still have all them on the team so play them.

Quit rolling 4 lines late in a game that we are behind by 1 goal, it is ok to shorten the bench and play the guys who can actually score.

Win tonight and all will be forgiven.
                              Best pass of the night and Budish doesn't even get credited with an assist.

Holl does play forward better than Parenteau, and Parenteau is a very good D.

I agree, Bjugs has the skills to take over more than he does, (although he really isn't that big compared to this team). And most of the top players are on a slower pace than last year, rather than stepping up the pace with another year under their belts.

Tough call on who plays D. Mike Reilly seems to be getting better every weekend. Nothing really wrong with Skjei's play either. I have a tough time being too critical. It is a tough juggling act for the coaches.

And with Serratore being one of the most consistent players, its hard to keep him off the ice. Even if he doesn't score, his play can motivate the next line on the ice, and often seems to generate an offensive zone faceoff for them.

The biggest thing is none of these things listed. It is inconsistent effort. They outplayed Omaha in the first and I felt good about them after they came back to score 2. But they didn't respond when Omaha picked things up. I watched a little of the BC -BU game and would say MN would have lost to both of those teams with last nights effort. While I am guessing that wasn't BC's best effort, they still put in an effort for stretches, generating chances, and BU seemed to be flying every time I flipped over tot he game. I don't know what the answer is, but since I missed the first series of the year, given the expectations I had for this team, I have yet to come out of a weekend (or even go into one) as fired up as I was much of last year. Last year's team would tend to have a bad period or two in one game that sometimes meant a loss, but would follow up with a 60 minute great effort in the next game. They seemed to wear teams down by the midpoint in Saturdays' games because of this. This team seems to have some games they win with 40 minutes of effort in one game and then show even less in the other. If they had been playing upper level teams rather than lower level, they would not have a great record. They haven't really had those games where you come out thinking "wow" these guys are really good (beyond Mich State, which I missed).

So winning tonight to me, will just be preventing a total loss for the weekend when a sweep at home should have been the goal, not a situation where "all will be forgiven." A loss puts me in Scooby's camp.

Comment

Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
                                *****http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/51319219/Yoda.jpg******

Comment

Working...
                                X