Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Gophers 2012-2013: From Dinkytown to Steel City!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers 2012-2013: From Dinkytown to Steel City!

I don't see rink-wide passes that often miss as possession builders at all - in fact quite the opposite. A lot of times when those passes miss the puck ends up out of the zone by virtue of a carom or a trailing defender that is left alone picking up the loose puck.

USCHO has a pretty good analysis btw of the season so far: Good record doesn’t hide work left to be done for Minnesota

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
      I don't see rink-wide passes that often miss as possession builders at all - in fact quite the opposite. A lot of times when those passes miss the puck ends up out of the zone by virtue of a carom or a trailing defender that is left alone picking up the loose puck.
      After reading the article you posted above, I have to change my tune a bit, not realizing that the Gophers are leading the league in PP efficiency. But I do see your point above too, and it just seems to me that the whole design of their PP is to set up the one timer slapshot, rather than work the puck in a little more for a higher percentage opportunity. But then again, you can't argue with success - lots of other teams would like to be at 25%.

And after reading the article one other thing really stuck out for me, that being the fact that we are being outscored in the league when at even strength. Considering the teams we've played that's not a good sign at all, and ii's obviously an area where we definitely need to improve on if we're going to be successful the rest of the way.
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

• Originally posted by D2D View Post
        After reading the article you posted above, I have to change my tune a bit, not realizing that the Gophers are leading the league in PP efficiency. But I do see your point above too, and it just seems to me that the whole design of their PP is to set up the one timer slapshot, rather than work the puck in a little more for a higher percentage opportunity. But then again, you can't argue with success - lots of other teams would like to be at 25%.

And after reading the article one other thing really stuck out for me, that being the fact that we are being outscored in the league when at even strength. Considering the teams we've played that's not a good sign at all, and ii's obviously an area where we definitely need to improve on if we're going to be successful the rest of the way.
        The 5x5 scoring will come around. We've had plenty of opportunities and a ton of offensive zone time.
        @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
        On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
        High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Happy Thanksgiving, dorks!
          the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
            Happy Thanksgiving, dorks!
            Well, you're obviously not talking to me but I'll say thanks on behalf of all the dorks out there.

Comment

Just hope the players didn't eat half as much turkey as this dork here did......

Comment

• Originally posted by D2D View Post
                Just hope the players didn't eat half as much turkey as this dork here did......
                Word. Hopefully they didn't eat too much in Vermont. They had an afternoon practice today, maybe that got in the way.
                the state of hockey is good

Comment

Heading into this past weekend against Wisconsin, the Gophers had scored only 4 even-strength goals in the previous 5 games. It got a little better against the Badgers as they notched 3 in the series, but I think it's safe to say even-strength scoring has to get better for this MN team.

I was just watching the highlights again from last year's regionals against UND and BU. What struck me is where the offensive production was coming from. Not counting ENG, against BU the goalscorers included Parenteau, Hansen, Helgeson and Sachetti. Against UND they included Marshall, Matson, Boyd and Condon. Out of the 10 goals that MN scored in that regional while a goaltender was in net for the other team, only 2 came from "big guns" with Haula and Rau each netting 1.

Just one weekend, sure, but I think it is a pretty good representation of what made MN as successful as they were last year.
                  Now, there are a couple ways of looking at that (both of which I think are valid). First, MN had some depth last year that allowed them to score when their top lines were getting shut down. But second, their top lines really forced other teams to expend a lot of focus on shutting them down, and as a result the secondary guys found opportunities. And that second one is where I think it really starts.

Right now the top line for MN isn't forcing teams to be overly concerned with them. I think if the Gophers are to start scoring more regularly 5on5, they need the top 2 lines proving to be more dangerous. Right now out of Budish, Bjugstad, Haula and Rau only Haula has a better PPG avg than last season, and he's the only one out of those four to be above a point a game on average this year.

MN need Bjugstad and Rau to get going. There's no reason those two should be below their PPG avg. from last year. I'd include Budish in that list, and it's one of the reasons I really want to see him back on the first line. If those guys just kind of coast along somewhere around .8ppg, it is going to make it difficult for everyone else on the team to be as productive as they could be.
                  Last edited by Stauber1; 11-22-2012, 11:43 PM.

Comment

Stauber1, great observations on all counts. Hopefully we'll see our big guns start to get it cranked up this weekend. If they do, the other pieces of the puzzle should fall into place.

Comment

Good to see Mario healthy and playing well for the Irish.
                      "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
                      Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
                      The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
                      Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

Nice to see more effort last night.

I did a quick look at stats for the top scorers from last year to this (through 12 games). It seemed like they had dropped off.
                        2011-12 Pt/gm - 2012-13 pts/game
                        Haula 1.14 - 1.25
                        Bjugs 1.05 - 0.92
                        Rau 1.08 - 1.00
                        Schmidt 0.95 - 0.75
                        Condon 0.81 - 0.75

They are actually closer than I thought. But on the other hand, you expect players a year older to increase the pace, especially when playing against teams near the bottom of their league.

On the other hand, Ambrose is 1 point away from last year's total and Isaacson has had an infinite increase in points (0-7).

Comment

With Warning still out and with a possibility of him missing even more of the season, would it be smart to red shirt him? Could we "call up" a recruit from the USHL to play here the remainder of the year? Would we? Just wondering aloud and wanted to see what others think...

Kloos may look good in the lineup come January if Warning is still out.

Comment

Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
                            With Warning still out and with a possibility of him missing even more of the season, would it be smart to red shirt him?
                            Before getting hurt he played in 4 games, would redshrting even be an option?

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                              From wiki:

An athlete may be asked to redshirt if he or she would have no opportunity to play as an academic freshman. This is a common occurrence in many sports where there is already an established starter or too much depth at the position in which the freshman in question is planning to play.
                              A special case involves the eligibility of a player who loses the majority of a season to injury. Popularly known as a medical redshirt, a hardship waiver may be granted an athlete who appears in fewer than 30% of his or her team's competitions (with none coming after the midway point of the season), then suffers a season-ending injury. A player who is granted such a waiver is treated for the purposes of his or her eligibility as though he or she had not competed in that season.
                              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                                Grimaldi played in 4 games last year before red-shirting. He had no possibility of coming back during last season though...

edit: I think the key words are "season ending"... if he is able to be back this year I don't believe he is eligible.
                                Last edited by willythekid; 11-24-2012, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X